Issues with attending interview for 2 different specialties at the same program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Black Adder

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to both FM and IM since I wasn't sure exactly what specialty I wanted to go into. At some programs I applied to both FM and IM, and I just got offered an interview from both the FM and IM residencies today at one of my top choices. If I go to both interviews will I be hurting my chances of being ranked highly? I'm assuming it'll come across as me not really being committed to a particular specialty. I'm leaning more towards IM, but I'm still considering FM as an option.... I'm sure I'm not the only one in this situation... so figured I'd see what other folks do when this happens.

Members don't see this ad.

Most others in your position do not apply to two different specialties at the same hospital. There is always a chance that you will be seen by residents from one or the other programs or that it will be otherwise found out and as you note, appear that you are not dedicated to one of the specialties.

I'm not sure there is a great solution at this point other than to either go to the interviews and I hope you don't get found out or cancel one of them. Youll need to make sure that you have your story for applying to different specialties pretty down pat in case you get asked.

Yeah, that makes sense.... I'll cancel one of them.
Thanks for the replies!

As someone who's very regionally motivated I was thinking of also applying to 2 specialties. It seems odd that I have to be secretive about it. My plan was to openly be a joint X and Y applicant, and explain that I love em both, would be happy in either, but mostly I just want to train and doctor in this area.

I take it that is not a good plan?

As someone who's very regionally motivated I was thinking of also applying to 2 specialties. It seems odd that I have to be secretive about it. My plan was to openly be a joint X and Y applicant, and explain that I love em both, would be happy in either, but mostly I just want to train and doctor in this area.

I take it that is not a good plan?

You are correct--this is not a good plan. Graduate medical education programs are filled with physicians to are passionate about their specialty, and they want to recruit residents who they perceive share that passion and committment. Finding out that an applicant is interviewing for multiple specialties virtually guarantees a low rank order list placement (if not DNR status). In fact, in the interview setting I would advise against even suggesting that the choice of specialty was difficult for you.

Apply to two (or more) specialties if you can see yourself practicing and being happy at either one. Just don't interview for both specialties at the same facility if there is ANY chance of being discovered.

Agreed. You may ask "why would I care?". The answer is easy. Two years ago, one of my interns came to me after 3 months and told me they were trying to decide between IM and Psych, and now decided on Psych. They left 3 months later, and I was short an intern for 6 months. You SAY you'd be happy in both, but perhaps not.

Agreed. You may ask "why would I care?". The answer is easy. Two years ago, one of my interns came to me after 3 months and told me they were trying to decide between IM and Psych, and now decided on Psych. They left 3 months later, and I was short an intern for 6 months. You SAY you'd be happy in both, but perhaps not.

What if the fields are very similar like FP and IM, especially if one wants to go into primary care or hospitalist med or geriatrics or other fields in IM/FP where their paths may cross?

Just like when people talk about applying to ortho or plastics or neurosurgery... it doesnt seem like it is in anyway looked down upon to also apply to general surgery while applying to one of those fields...?

Or what about others who applied to combined fields like EM/IM or EM/FP or IM/Peds or Neuro/psych..etc.. its not at all unusually for them to apply to both combined and non combined fields..?

What if the fields are very similar like FP and IM, especially if one wants to go into primary care or hospitalist med or geriatrics or other fields in IM/FP where their paths may cross?

Just like when people talk about applying to ortho or plastics or neurosurgery... it doesnt seem like it is in anyway looked down upon to also apply to general surgery while applying to one of those fields...?

Or what about others who applied to combined fields like EM/IM or EM/FP or IM/Peds or Neuro/psych..etc.. its not at all unusually for them to apply to both combined and non combined fields..?
Actually, if your gen surg app looks to be heavy with plastic surgery or ortho research/LORs, PDs may be likely to pick others over you; they may suspect you are applying to those fields as your "first choice" and gen surg as back up. And gen surg PDs don't want to waste their time with someone who wants to do something else when there are people who truly want to go into GS. The general rule in applying to plastics is to not apply to gen surg at the same institution since it may give you away to be seen at the other interview...plus the PDs may talk.

Actually, if your gen surg app looks to be heavy with plastic surgery or ortho research/LORs, PDs may be likely to pick others over you; they may suspect you are applying to those fields as your "first choice" and gen surg as back up. And gen surg PDs don't want to waste their time with someone who wants to do something else when there are people who truly want to go into GS. The general rule in applying to plastics is to not apply to gen surg at the same institution since it may give you away to be seen at the other interview...plus the PDs may talk.

Every attending and PD I ever interacted with during rotations always mentioned to those that were applying to ortho or other surg specialties to also apply to gen surg as "a backup" especially since ortho and other surg specialties had a large gensurg component to them...and ultimately you should be happy if you end up with gensurg even if applying to ortho or plastics or whatever because all surg subspecialties involve a lot of gen surg.... same with those applying to IM only because they want GI or Cards... utlimately you better be happy doing IM because even cards and GI involve a lot of it.

One of my best friends in med school did tons of ortho research and even took a year off to do ortho research ended up applying to ortho got a few interviews and at some point realized he didnt like ortho anymore and ended up matching at a upper tiered IM residency..

A lot of my friends who went through the match last year who applied to combined residencies like Med/Peds and EM/FP didnt ONLY apply to the combined fields... many of the IM/Peds also applied to categorical peds and categorical IM spots also... same with the EM/FP applicants..

Not trying to argue or anything... just discussing this stuff, its interesting ideas, I think it makes sense either way you look at it??

I went to a geographically distant interview for my backup specialty and was able to get a last minute interview spot for my preferred specialty while I was there. It was really awkward when some people from the other people saw me when I was interviewing with the other and resulted in a lot of explaining which I would rather not have had to do. I wouldn't subject myself to that awkwardness in the future if I could get away with it. If you don't have a lot of interviews (my situation) things are likely not going to go well anyway, so who knows if that would make a big difference. If you have plenty it is probably better to avoid it.

I went to a geographically distant interview for my backup specialty and was able to get a last minute interview spot for my preferred specialty while I was there. It was really awkward when some people from the other people saw me when I was interviewing with the other and resulted in a lot of explaining which I would rather not have had to do. I wouldn't subject myself to that awkwardness in the future if I could get away with it. If you don't have a lot of interviews (my situation) things are likely not going to go well anyway, so who knows if that would make a big difference. If you have plenty it is probably better to avoid it.

I'm so curious: how did they react to your explanation? Did it end up torpedoing your chances at both?

Hard to say, I wasn't the best contender for my 1st choice specialty but I ended up matching at my first choice backup (even though they were the ones that pointed out that one of my letter writers had gushed about what a great orthopedic surgeon I would make-it was a general surgery program, oops). I was honest and sincere with my explanation and in my heart I knew that if I got into the backup specialty that I would not try to reapply for ortho since there were things about general surgery that I really liked as well. I think that was visible to the interviewers in my backup specialty. Did that make the ortho interviewers question my motivation? I will never really know, but after failing to match once I knew ortho was a big reach anyway.

Seems ridiculous that someone genuinely interested in primary care can't apply/IV at something as similar as FM and IM. Even more so if its a community program which isn't placing its IM residents into fellowships.

The notion of "dedication" in this case seems way overblown.

It may not be as much "dedication" as simple practicality. If I have a fixed number of interview slots, I want to fill them with people who are more liklely than not to rank me high on their rank list. If you're applying to an FM program but are likely to rank your IM programs higher, th eprogram may simply decline to interview you because it's more likely to be a waste of their resources.

Every attending and PD I ever interacted with during rotations always mentioned to those that were applying to ortho or other surg specialties to also apply to gen surg as "a backup" especially since ortho and other surg specialties had a large gensurg component to them...and ultimately you should be happy if you end up with gensurg even if applying to ortho or plastics or whatever because all surg subspecialties involve a lot of gen surg.... same with those applying to IM only because they want GI or Cards... utlimately you better be happy doing IM because even cards and GI involve a lot of it.

One of my best friends in med school did tons of ortho research and even took a year off to do ortho research ended up applying to ortho got a few interviews and at some point realized he didnt like ortho anymore and ended up matching at a upper tiered IM residency..

A lot of my friends who went through the match last year who applied to combined residencies like Med/Peds and EM/FP didnt ONLY apply to the combined fields... many of the IM/Peds also applied to categorical peds and categorical IM spots also... same with the EM/FP applicants..

Not trying to argue or anything... just discussing this stuff, its interesting ideas, I think it makes sense either way you look at it??

If you apply to combined fields it is generally accepted that you would likely have a backup. This last year there were 27 spots for EM/IM so everyone on the interview trail also applied straight EM or straight IM.