It feels good to make a decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

musiclink213

My room is a mess
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just need to say that it feels good to finally make a decision on which school I will attend. As some of you know, I've been back and forth for a while, deciding between NYCOM and UNECOM. And my decision..... (drumroll please........)

NYCOM!!!

This decision made sense for me on several reasons. First, I want to practice in NYC after residency, and it'll be good to do rotations in the area, so I can make contacts, get to know what the patient population is in hte city. Also, I've never really lived far from home. Sure, I did a study abroad, but that doesn't really count because I was only taking 2 classes, and most of the time I was traveling, exploring, I did very little actual studying. And so I don't know how I would be without that support system nearby. My undergrad was about 45 mins drive from ym house, so if I had to go home because I was too stressed, or my roomate was driving me crazy, it was easily doable. NYCOM is also about 45 mins-1 hour, depending on traffic.

The board scores are comparable, and I do have som reservations about the large class size, but my grandma's neighbor's grandson goes to NYCOM and says it's so easy to talk to the professors, and with a large class, if you don't get along with someone, you can always find someone else to study with. I also actually kind of like the curriculum NYCOM is using now, the systems based lectures. It just seems to make more sense to learn how everything relates in a particular system, because it's not likely that in your medical career, you'll get asked a straight up biochem question, but a biochem question that occurs in the liver and how it affects the rest of the system is more likely, and I think that's hwat the systems based lectures would teach.

I wrote out a pros and cons list, and I tried Depakote's spreadsheet. NYCOM had more pros for me than UNECOM, but also more con's. UNECOM had a bunch more neutral categories for me. So I dont know how much help those lists were, but I talked it over with some friends who's opinions i value, and I thought about it on my own, and came up that NYCOM would be a better choice for me.

When I announced at work that I made a decision between the schools, everyone started clapping. Gotta love working with people who consider you to be their daughter.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on making a decision. At this point I think NYCOM is where I will be heading as well... when can we start :D I still have some interviews and places I would like to interview but NYCOM is at the top of the list. I currently work at a public hosptial in NYC and would love to be able to stay here and do my clinical rotations in NYC.

When did you interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on making a decision. At this point I think NYCOM is where I will be heading as well... when can we start :D I still have some interviews and places I would like to interview but NYCOM is at the top of the list. I currently work at a public hosptial in NYC and would love to be able to stay here and do my clinical rotations in NYC.

When did you interview?

I interviewed Nov. 16. It was towards the beginning when they started interviewing.

Congratulations on your decision! I was impressed with NYCOM at my interview and I am sure you will be happy there. Can I have your UNECOM acceptance? LOL!;) :luck:

Congratulations on your decision! I was impressed with NYCOM at my interview and I am sure you will be happy there. Can I have your UNECOM acceptance? LOL!;) :luck:

Sure, when I send them my decline letter, I'll tell them that my acceptance goes to DoctorMom. I'll be writing the deposit check for NYCOM tonight, and my letter to UNECOM, and then I'll send everything otu tomorrow morning, unless I forget to take my letters when I go walk my dog.

Congratulations. Very strong academics up at NYCOM.

Sure, when I send them my decline letter, I'll tell them that my acceptance goes to DoctorMom. I'll be writing the deposit check for NYCOM tonight, and my letter to UNECOM, and then I'll send everything otu tomorrow morning, unless I forget to take my letters when I go walk my dog.

LOL! Thanks!:D

congrats on getting into NYCOM! That is where i really would like to go...they aknowledge reciept of my AACOMAS application last weekend so i'm really really hoping for an interview. I am in-state so hopefully that will help!! But anyways...congrats and maybe if I get lucky enough for an interview and acceptance I'll see you there!....boy i wish i had been verified earlier...