It is all worth it

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sloop

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's February, and I know that this can be a time when people tend to lose some steam or get disillusioned. I just wanted to post an optimistic thread of encouragement to all of you who might be wondering if the journey is even worth it. I'm here to tell you that it is.

I'm a second year psychiatry resident and I can honestly tell you that I love being a doctor. Every minute isn't rainbows and sunshine but being a doctor is the best job in the world and I'll tell you why.

When I come home from work, I know that I've made a difference. There are people on this planet who are living because I took the time to help them. There are people who are able to work and feel fulfilled because of my interventions. It's easy to get disillusioned and say "yeah, but if it wasn't me, it would be somebody else," but that's not the point. The point is that in this field of work, you get to profoundly impact people in ways that mean the world to them and give them back things that are priceless.

Even when people are being incredibly difficult, dealing with these people with benevolence and grace is just part of the powerful beauty of this job. You have to treat belligerent, entitled people, criminals and murderers just as you would world leaders. Even when people are being terrible or have done terrible things, you treat them with dignity as a human being. This is not to say that you never stand up for yourself, but the mere fact that you hold a sacrosanct duty to society is a huge responsibility that there is tremendous honor in upholding. Many people don't know or don't care what you've sacrificed to be able to treat them in that moment. Some of them will complain about the poor "service" they've gotten. Many of those people aren't even going to pay their hospital bill. They look at this like a transaction because in that moment they're scared, they feel small and the model of a transaction gives them some sense of power and control. You know the reality that you're bound by ethics and duty to treat them, and the compensation is just an ancillary arrangement to make this situation feasible. You let them have whatever dignity they can find as victims of an undignified reality and go on doing your job.

The things that make this job tough and thankless are often the things that make it beautiful. This is a valuable and noble profession and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 46 users
Even when people are being incredibly difficult, dealing with these people with benevolence and grace is just part of the powerful beauty of this job.

I'll take "difficult" patients all day, every day over difficult RNs, admin and attendings. I probably spend 10% of my day on patient care and the rest on handling RN-admin-attending-other residents.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's February, and I know that this can be a time when people tend to lose some steam or get disillusioned. I just wanted to post an optimistic thread of encouragement to all of you who might be wondering if the journey is even worth it. I'm here to tell you that it is.

I'm a second year psychiatry resident and I can honestly tell you that I love being a doctor. Every minute isn't rainbows and sunshine but being a doctor is the best job in the world and I'll tell you why.

When I come home from work, I know that I've made a difference. There are people on this planet who are living because I took the time to help them. There are people who are able to work and feel fulfilled because of my interventions. It's easy to get disillusioned and say "yeah, but if it wasn't me, it would be somebody else," but that's not the point. The point is that in this field of work, you get to profoundly impact people in ways that mean the world to them and give them back things that are priceless.

Even when people are being incredibly difficult, dealing with these people with benevolence and grace is just part of the powerful beauty of this job. You have to treat belligerent, entitled people, criminals and murderers just as you would world leaders. Even when people are being terrible or have done terrible things, you treat them with dignity as a human being. This is not to say that you never stand up for yourself, but the mere fact that you hold a sacrosanct duty to society is a huge responsibility that there is tremendous honor in upholding. Many people don't know or don't care what you've sacrificed to be able to treat them in that moment. Some of them will complain about the poor "service" they've gotten. Many of those people aren't even going to pay their hospital bill. They look at this like a transaction because in that moment they're scared, they feel small and the model of a transaction gives them some sense of power and control. You know the reality that you're bound by ethics and duty to treat them, and the compensation is just an ancillary arrangement to make this situation feasible. You let them have whatever dignity they can find as victims of an undignified reality and go on doing your job.

The things that make this job tough and thankless are often the things that make it beautiful. This is a valuable and noble profession and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.
Thanks for this! I frequently reflect on my own training years and the challenges I faced along the way. There were times I felt beat down, like it was all I could do just to keep putting one foot in front of the other. That light at the end of the tunnel seemed so far away. In the end, I'm very thankful I had the support system and personal fortitude to finish what I'd started. I provide care that people can't provide for themselves, ranging from light sedation and hand-holding to resuscitative efforts often described as "heroic." I've held newborns so their mothers could kiss them for the first time, and I've prayed with families as a loved one's life reached its end. I've rejoiced with my patients and I've shared their grief. Some days are easy and others are hard, but there's nothing I'd rather do.

If I'd truly understood the gauntlet I was about to run back when I was an undergrad, I don't know if I'd have had the courage to start. Now that I've seen where that long, hard road was leading, though, I can wholeheartedly second what @sloop said: it's all worth it.

Reactions: 2 users
I'll take "difficult" patients all day, every day over difficult RNs, admin and attendings. I probably spend 10% of my day on patient care and the rest on handling RN-admin-attending-other residents.

The health system does a bad job of letting doctors be doctors. None of this stuff is ideal. That said, I truly think that the only reason we suffer this stuff is because we care about our patients.

That is exactly right. The worst patients are the least of my concern. Those are EASY to deal with. The worst patients are sometimes better than the nurses and administrators and bean counters.