ITE as an intern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happyabe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a transitional intern going to a program that requires us to take the ITE starting our intern year. Last summer I took it 2 months into my internship while post call, and certainly didn't do well (although I never got my score). As an intern who's about to finish his internship, should I try to study for this thing, or not worry about it. If studying is a good idea, what resource(s) are recommended. I'd suspect at this point, a question book would be best ??? The good news is, I won't be post call this time, but the bad news is I haven't been exposed to much anesthesia this year; nor have I read a lot about anesthesiology. Any advice about this issue would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I am a transitional intern going to a program that requires us to take the ITE starting our intern year. Last summer I took it 2 months into my internship while post call, and certainly didn't do well (although I never got my score). As an intern who's about to finish his internship, should I try to study for this thing, or not worry about it. If studying is a good idea, what resource(s) are recommended. I'd suspect at this point, a question book would be best ??? The good news is, I won't be post call this time, but the bad news is I haven't been exposed to much anesthesia this year; nor have I read a lot about anesthesiology. Any advice about this issue would be appreciated!

My resident buds said that if I could get through and nail down baby Miller (which I have read a bit of this year) as an intern, I will be ahead of the curve. Luckily the ITE is now in March rather than July. I may also use Hall for some Q's. People say its better to start off low and make progress every ITE rather than nailing it and have nowhere to go except the same or down. Regardless, I will try to do my best. I say that now but have no idea what my frame of mind will be like half way through intern year.

ITE has been moved to March. We all take it March 7 this year so you won't take it until this time next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't study. I didn't study for my first, haven't studied for my second, will start to study soon for the third (and the real thing). Unless, of course, your program fires you for not performing well on it (which wouldn't apply for the PGY1 one).

Another way to look at it is that the exam is essentially the same exam you will be taking for board certification. The more free chances you get to evaluate your ability to pass it, the better off you are. If you never study until the last year and a half and only then discover that you might really not be able to do well on it, then you are way behind. If you find out early enough, you can devote the effort to it needed to pass. That being said, I wouldn't stress too much about the first one. If you want to study, I would suggest Morgan and Mikhail or Basics of Anesthesia by Stoelting/Miller.

Another way to look at it is that the exam is essentially the same exam you will be taking for board certification. The more free chances you get to evaluate your ability to pass it, the better off you are. If you never study until the last year and a half and only then discover that you might really not be able to do well on it, then you are way behind. If you find out early enough, you can devote the effort to it needed to pass. That being said, I wouldn't stress too much about the first one. If you want to study, I would suggest Morgan and Mikhail or Basics of Anesthesia by Stoelting/Miller.

I completely agree with the above statement. I think that your goal should be to get ahead of the curve and stay there. Find a system that works for you early on. I tell all of the interns here that they sholud attempt to rear the first two sections of M & M. I did that prior to starting my gas residency and it made a big difference for me.

Cambie

If you're asking about this a week before the ITE, it doesn't really matter.

My two cents would be NOT to study for the ITE for PGY-1 year, instead focus on what the PGY-1 year is really for... gaining a solid foundation in the basics of medicine and surgery upon which to build up. You only have one chance to do this, you have the rest of your life to learn anesthesia.

i wouldn't blow it off. i know for certain that my (high) ITE scores were a consideration in screening for fellowships.

that's not the point. the point is that you should NOT blow off the ITEs (except for the 1st one, which no one cares about). they are not just important for fellowships, but go a long way in establishing your credibility with attendings, since everyone knows if you did well or if you bombed it.

So you did well on the ITE...

:clap:

:eyebrow:

I know that's not the point, which is why I'm surprised you mentioned your (high) score.

i mentioned it because it was specifically mentioned to me by interviewers during 2 interviews. they said that they were really impressed by the scores. do i give a crap about these numbers. no. do i care about landing the place i wanted to be for fellowship - course. and it seems those scores helped.

Now I am really scared. I had to take one last July one month into internship and I BOMBED. Now I have to take another one next weekend before getting through internshiship and I will be post call. The last time I was at least able to go over some stuff. This time I have yet to crack any book open, just hauling around the text book. I am in the ICU and working at least 80 hr/week and doing 5 nights in a row this week including 2 thirty hour calls. I don't even know if I can stay awake for the test. I don't know what to do. I am so afraid that my program will not be happy with me doing so poorly two years in a row. I'm under so much stress. Can I just skip it? By the way, did I mention that I am 71/2 months pregnant?

Members don't see this ad :)
Now I am really scared. I had to take one last July one month into internship and I BOMBED. Now I have to take another one next weekend before getting through internshiship and I will be post call. The last time I was at least able to go over some stuff. This time I have yet to crack any book open, just hauling around the text book. I am in the ICU and working at least 80 hr/week and doing 5 nights in a row this week including 2 thirty hour calls. I don't even know if I can stay awake for the test. I don't know what to do. I am so afraid that my program will not be happy with me doing so poorly two years in a row. I'm under so much stress. Can I just skip it? By the way, did I mention that I am 71/2 months pregnant?

Can I transfer to your program?

Frankly I don't think that it makes any sense to take the ITE twice in your PGY1 year.

I'm guessing you're joking...right?

Uh, hell yes.

Frankly I don't think that it makes any sense to take the ITE twice in your PGY1 year.

It doesn't make much sense to take it your PGY-1 year at all. They just switched the dates this year, so you got hit with it twice! We all did, just sucks for you and your PGY-1 classmates.

Uh, hell yes.

It doesn't make much sense to take it your PGY-1 year at all. They just switched the dates this year, so you got hit with it twice! We all did, just sucks for you and your PGY-1 classmates.

You get two sets of keywords in one year and you get to see how much you learned over the past several months. This can be viewed as a positive.

Cambie

Last edited:
You get two sets of keywords in one year and you get to see how much you learned over the past several months. This can be viewed as a positive.

Cambe

My point is that I have not had a chance to learn ANY anesthesiology during the intern year. I can't even remember anything from the last ITE except for the fact that I couldnt even take a good guess at most of the questions and then thinking during the exam that I picked the wrong specialty.

Cambe

My point is that I have not had a chance to learn ANY anesthesiology during the intern year. I can't even remember anything from the last ITE except for the fact that I couldnt even take a good guess at most of the questions and then thinking during the exam that I picked the wrong specialty. I felt more confident after my medicine ITE than I did after this exam. SCARY!

you are going to have a nervous breakdown before your residency is over if you are this high strung. you are an intern. you are not expected to know any anesthesia. relax.

Cambe

As a CA1, I'm fine with it.

I'd be pissed if I was a PGY-1. I don't expect I would have learned much more anesthesia over my intern year.

I think that an intern should read about anesthesia during their intern year.
I tell interns here to read the first two sections of M & M. Some of the info will not stick but some will.

IM residents interested in Cards or GI read up on their specialty of interest and are very conversant long before they apply for fellowship. Why should someone in anesthesia expect to show up on day one knowing nothing. How can that be ok ?

Cambie

I think that an intern should read about anesthesia during their intern year.
I tell interns here to read the first two sections of M & M. Some of the info will not stick but some will.

IM residents interested in Cards or GI read up on their specialty of interest and are very conversant long before they apply for fellowship. Why should someone in anesthesia expect to show up on day one knowing nothing. How can that be ok ?

Cambie

The difference being that IM folks actually DEAL with Cards and GI issues as a part of their DAILY jobs for the entire year. ICU, surgery rotations, and sometimes a 1-month gas rotation are the closest we get to anesthesia in the PGY-1 year.

You're comparing apples to oranges here.