It's A Start

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I hope this is the first of many many public information venues from the ASA.:thumbup:

Those of you who have access to patients in preop clinic should be handing copies of this pamphlet to them.

It may also be a good idea to mail to patients who will be having surgery so they are informed.

Good start. If the ASA keeps this up, I will be sending them more money each year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Those of you who have access to patients in preop clinic should be handing copies of this pamphlet to them.

It may also be a good idea to mail to patients who will be having surgery so they are informed.

Good start. If the ASA keeps this up, I will be sending them more money each year.

If they keep this up, I may start sending them money again.

that pamphlet was copyrighted in 2005. so, despite being not exactly new, thanks for posting it. i encourage everyone to contribute to the asa-pac. even a little is appreciated.

https://www2.asahq.org/pac/web/

It would be nice if we could direct our contributions. Like say, Public education, advertising, etc.

I'm glad they included the last line about CRNAs and AA's: "trained in the technical aspects of anesthesia delivery but not the medical aspects of anesthesia care." That about sums it up.

I'm glad they included the last line about CRNAs and AA's: "trained in the technical aspects of anesthesia delivery but not the medical aspects of anesthesia care." That about sums it up.

I think Mil quoted "Monkey Skills".

And it leaves no room for any CRNA to quote any half-ass studies about how they are as good as physicians. The bottom line is they are nurse technicians and patients need to know that.

they should blow that last line up to 24 font, italicized and :thumbup: and it should instead say "Anesthesiologist and Me".

they should blow that last line up to 24 font, italicized and :thumbup: and it should instead say "Anesthesiologist and Me".

You really think this pamphlet does the job? Most people stop reading a pamhlet after one paragraph. You need to make your point quickly and dramatically in today's society. That is why I like a 30 second ad on TV.

Anyway, I will be sending more money to the ASA PAC this week.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm - a most eloquent way of saying monkey see monkey do...

TV and print ads are a must.

dc

I agree with the "high road" philiosophy, mostly. At some point the ASA must make it perfectly clear that Anesthesiology is the Practice of Medicine and that patients should have a Medical Doctor in charge of their care.

Every patient needs to ask "Who is my Anesthesia Medical Doctor?" A Nurse is fine to help with my anesthetic but who is the Doctor in Charge? The educational campaign needs to stress the importance of a Board Certified Anesthesiologist as that Doctor.

As someone mentioned in another thread. The movie "Awake" is coming out and this is a great time to start advertising. People will be interested in anesthesia and looking for information. We could actually use this movie to our advantage. I'll bet the aana has plans to use the movie.

I wonder, does anyone form the ASA view this forum? I wonder! Can you say disconnected?

I agree with the "high road" philiosophy, mostly. At some point the ASA must make it perfectly clear that Anesthesiology is the Practice of Medicine and that patients should have a Medical Doctor in charge of their care.

Every patient needs to ask "Who is my Anesthesia Medical Doctor?" A Nurse is fine to help with my anesthetic but who is the Doctor in Charge? The educational campaign needs to stress the importance of a Board Certified Anesthesiologist as that Doctor.

What about the hospitals / towns which don't have an anesthesiologist in that zip code, or in any of the surrounding zip codes?

What about the hospitals / towns which don't have an anesthesiologist in that zip code, or in any of the surrounding zip codes?

Those places need to recruit harder and offer better pay/benefits. It's not like the surgeons would be there if there weren't incentives. And NOBODY is saying that PAs or RNs should be performing surgeries if there isn't a surgeon in the zip code...

Guess someone must have read this forum because the ASA (www.asahq.org) now has a link to the pamphlet on its main page.

Good to hear! I kinda suspected that they have somebody assigned to check out these forums every once in a while... If that position didn't exist, I would gladly volunteer for it.;)

Well, the CRNA could just tell the patient the truth. Explain there is No Anesthesiologist available at this hospital. Or, the CRNA could use the AANA propoganda lines and tell the patient a CRNA is just as good. Either way, the patient needs to know the qualifications of his/her anesthesia provider.

I have found that if the surgeon tells the patient he/she has total condidence in a particular anesthetist then most patients are reassured.

If its me.. i will say find me my anesthesiologist... HE/SHE will be board certified .. and . will be sitting on that stool the whole time I am under.. and charting vitals.. otherwise, iwill go somewhere else..PERIOD. unless i am unconscious and have absolutely no choice.. then you can have a monkey sitting on the stool to make some cash off my insurance company..

If there is no anesthesiolgist in the zip code. I will be running out of the hospital.. with my hospital gown... IV running.. Ill go to the bus stop, get on the bus and explain to the bus driver my dilemma.an dsay TAKE ME TO A REAL BLEEP HOSPITAL> and step on it.. i agree. the hospitals who dont have anesthesiologists are not in keeping with the times. they' re out of touch.. who knows what else they dont have????

Those places need to recruit harder and offer better pay/benefits. It's not like the surgeons would be there if there weren't incentives. And NOBODY is saying that PAs or RNs should be performing surgeries if there isn't a surgeon in the zip code...

this has been my reasoning the whole time..

If there is no surgeon. nobody is saying let the butcher do it.. YOU RECRUIT A SURGEON..

we are still in the united states, even though its IOWA. its not a 3rd world country

Ophthalmologists are advertising. I just saw a TV commercial in New Mexico informing the public that ophthalmologist are very skilled and highly trained physicians from medical or osteopathic schools who perform surgery on the eyes. The NM senate is debating a bill which would allow optometrist to perform these surgeries. We are not the only ones.

Indeed. I believe NM is also one of the states that recently passed legislation allowing psychologists to prescribe psychtropics. Non-physicians and mid-levels are pushing their way into multiple fields of medicine. It just seems that the AANA has been wildly more successful than anyone else so far.

Oh, by the way for those of you keeping up with the Walter Reed scandal, someone in the MilMed forum just mentioned that the new Army surgeon general is going to be a CRNA.