Its already done

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

diplomat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you guys respond to the person that drops off the rx for the Zpak and/or Pred Forte eye drops and when you ask them, "When do you want to pick this up", they respond, "Well, it's already done, it's in the box already, I'll take it right now." Then when you respond that it will take 15-20 minutes they look at you with that quirky smirk on their face and say, "Why does it take 20 minutes, it's done already, isn't it??" I get this 5 times/day and it's really annoying. People are so god damn stupid and rude it just gets annoying day in an day out.

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm... I guess my customers aren't really that knowledgable about Z-Paks because I've never had one say that to me. I mean, I've heard customers complain about how it takes 30 minutes to count 30 pills but never because of that.

Members don't see this ad :)
$40 and I hope you're not taking any other medications.

Oh, you wanted me to bill your insurance and check your profile? Hang on a few minutes then.

I can't even remember the number of times I was told its just a "cream/pack/inhaler/etc". I found that even after explaining the billing, verification, DUR, and all that jazz, people still don't understand. Sometimes they understood if I said there are other people coming in the next X minutes that I have to get stuff ready for them first. Most of the time people are just stubborn and won't listen to reason and you just have to say "it'll be 20 minutes and the quicker I stop talking to you the quicker I can to work on your prescription".

It's not worth it to try and explain, or to get angry. I usually just smile and get it done as fast as possible. In the time it takes you to explain you could probably have entered the entire script lol, might as well bite your tongue and do it.

In the OPs case I'd quickly explain (while I'm entering in the script and not making eye contact) that even though they can't see it there are actually several people in front of them that have to be taken care of first.

$40 and I hope you're not taking any other medications.

Oh, you wanted me to bill your insurance and check your profile? Hang on a few minutes then.

:thumbup:

I almost always say something to the effect that to bill insurance I need to type the label first and then the pharmacist will need to check it also. The degree of smartassery I say this with probably varies by patient attitude/my mood. ;)

I say "Yea its in a box. 15 minutes, I'll call you when its ready." I walk away.

These people simply don't have the capacity to understand no matter what or how much you explain to them. It's the general public. Don't waste time. Get em in, get em out.

brush it of..

just say "because we have 8-10 people ahead of your right now that is waiting also"..

/thread

just say "because we have 8-10 people ahead of your right now that is waiting also"..

"I don't see anyone waiting in the store right now"

I'm just blunt, I say "it'll be 15 minutes, you can either sit there and wait or come back. I'll let you know when it's done" and then you just walk away and go back to work

With drive thru, imo, got to work on your poker face. When I know I look irritated they're more likely to heckle me, but if I've got my sincere "i care about your service" look on my face, only 1/50 still badger me.

I hardly ever get this in my current gig, and our wait time never goes over 20 to 30 minutes even if we are slammed. Most of the time, we can do a waiter in 5 or 10. However, if someone did complain, our techs would just explain that the prescription has to be scanned into our system, billed to insurance, filled, and checked by the pharmacist. And they are really good about communicating with the patients if there is a problem that will slow things down like a problem with insurance or the need to track down a DEA number on a control.

Members don't see this ad :)
ha i pretty much did what you guys did the other day. someone complained that the z-pak was already in the box so he shouldnt have to wait 30 minutes. i agreed with him and told him to meet me at the cash register... i priced checked the z-pack then tripled the cash price. then proceeded to ring the patient up. he started complaining about the price being so high, "why is it so expensive if i have insurance? ive never paid this much in my life..." i basically told him i thought you were in a hurry and were turning down my professional services as a pharmacist. if you want my services which include but arent limited to billing your insurance company, and checking your profile for interactions and allergies its gonna take some time... oh about 30 minutes worth of time. the patient was pissed off but came back in 30 minutes. maybe i can teach one idiot at a time.

At the independent where I'm at, most things take 5-10 minutes whether they are a zpak and eye drops or 10 scripts. It actually helps that we do not have a queue or time tracker. When something comes in, we do it immediately, unless there is an insurance issue or something.

"I don't see anyone waiting in the store right now"

I'm just blunt, I say "it'll be 15 minutes, you can either sit there and wait or come back. I'll let you know when it's done" and then you just walk away and go back to work

I work at a grocery chain so I just say "Your right, they are shopping right now" :laugh::laugh:

The funny thing is they don't mind waiting for hours to be examined by the docs, PAs...whereas they can't even wait for 5 minutes in the pharmacy. See? life is never fair.

I smile and kindly tell them it needs to be entered into the computer, billed to the insurance, and checked by the pharmacist. 90% of the time they smile back and are very understanding :)

The funny thing is they don't mind waiting for hours to be examined by the docs, PAs...whereas they can't even wait for 5 minutes in the pharmacy. See? life is never fair.

I hear you. You never hear people complain about wait times at restaurants on a Friday or Saturday night either and that could be about an hour.

The amount of questions from people with the intelligence of a blind hamster is remarkable. People come in and waste so much of my time with the most idiotic questions or they just stand there and talk, trying to accomplish some sort of "I'm being social today" requirement. I had a woman come in and ask when does Ice expire. One of the best ones I had was most recently. A woman came in and brought up two bottles of cranberry juice and asked what the difference was. After I explained to her what "ingredients" were, she points to the breast cancer ribbon on the bottle and asks me, "This juice is to treat breast cancer?"

I have a patient called at 2AM.

Pt: "Are you the pharmacist?"
Me: "Yes"
Pt: "I have a question for you, there is no Tylenol on the shelf. What can I take for my pain?"
Me: "Take Acetaminophen, it's the same as Tylenol"
Pt: "I can not take generic. How about Motrin, or Advil"
Me: "Do you have any allergy to any medication?"
Pt: "I can't take aspirin I got wheezing and rash"
Me: "Then, you most likely can not take Motrin, Advil, Aleve, Ibuprofen or Naproxen since they are quite similar"
Pt: "Is there any other pharmacist available?"
Me: "No, I am the only one working now. "
Pt: "How about Bayer? Can I take those?"
Me: "They are the manufacturer of Aspirin. Right now, your only option is to take Acetaminophen. What are the side effects when you take generic medication?"
Pt: "I take a generic medication one time. And, I got really sick"
Me: Describe the symptoms
Pt: "You don't know anything. I am allergic to generics!!!" <hangs up>

I have a patient called at 2AM.

Pt: "Are you the pharmacist?"
Me: "Yes"
Pt: "I have a question for you, there is no Tylenol on the shelf. What can I take for my pain?"
Me: "Take Acetaminophen, it's the same as Tylenol"
Pt: "I can not take generic. How about Motrin, or Advil"
Me: "Do you have any allergy to any medication?"
Pt: "I can't take aspirin I got wheezing and rash"
Me: "Then, you most likely can not take Motrin, Advil, Aleve, Ibuprofen or Naproxen since they are quite similar"
Pt: "Is there any other pharmacist available?"
Me: "No, I am the only one working now. "
Pt: "How about Bayer? Can I take those?"
Me: "They are the manufacturer of Aspirin. Right now, your only option is to take Acetaminophen. What are the side effects when you take generic medication?"
Pt: "I take a generic medication one time. And, I got really sick"
Me: Describe the symptoms
Pt: "You don't know anything. I am allergic to generics!!!" <hangs up>

This should be made into one of those little videos with the talking animals...you know which ones I'm talking about? On YouTube?