It's been a long time and a long road to here. [q about classes]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nohika

lurker status
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. :)

I was really nervous about posting this, and have been waffling back and forth all day. Yay social anxiety, I guess? Regardless, this post has been a long time coming, I think. Long story short, I'm graduating from a social sciences Masters program in May, and thanks to (mental health) therapy and a lot of support from non-family, am hoping to start my vet school pre-reqs either in Jan or summer 2018 (I have some mental health issues that stipulate taking at least fall semester off, but they're finally getting under control thank god).

I pretty much haven't taken any science classes in...easily five or six years. So I'm starting from the beginning (need all the chems, bios, etc). I'm staying in the same geographical location, so I have easy access to a four-year university (ASU), but also to a bunch of community colleges (a lot cheaper).

I was thinking of starting at a local Community College and do gen bio, gen chem, math, and maybe physics, there? And then transfer to ASU for ochem, biochem, and all the upper-division sciences that I need. (CC is cheaper, so I want to take as much as I can there so I can save money.)

I'm also starting volunteering at the local humane society and although I haven't gotten my placement yet, I'm hoping for one of their two clinics that they have attached to their humane society (or to work my way up to that). I plan to do that for probably 8-12 hours a week probably through when I go back to school. (I will have a very unique job come May that will allow for a lot of flexible freetime.)

Do I still need to take English, etc, if I have a prior bachelors degree (even if it was a while ago)? Or is that one of those things that vary school by school? I figure it might be worth asking schools, but I'm early enough that I'm not entirely sure where I'll apply (I'll probably, optimistically, be c/o 2023, most likely 2024 - a year for gen-chem, a year for o-chem, then biochem after). Depends how hardcore I feel like going, haha.

Goal is to start slow-ish (gen chem and bio, with maybe math-stuff or electives as needed), then work my way up to the second+ year with o-chem and other high-level bio classes, to show that I can handle a full load of science classes.

Does this sound reasonable? Anything you would suggest, change, etc? I know I have a long way to go, but this is the first step.

Thanks. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all. :)

I was really nervous about posting this, and have been waffling back and forth all day. Yay social anxiety, I guess? Regardless, this post has been a long time coming, I think. Long story short, I'm graduating from a social sciences Masters program in May, and thanks to (mental health) therapy and a lot of support from non-family, am hoping to start my vet school pre-reqs either in Jan or summer 2018 (I have some mental health issues that stipulate taking at least fall semester off, but they're finally getting under control thank god).

I pretty much haven't taken any science classes in...easily five or six years. So I'm starting from the beginning (need all the chems, bios, etc). I'm staying in the same geographical location, so I have easy access to a four-year university (ASU), but also to a bunch of community colleges (a lot cheaper).

I was thinking of starting at a local Community College and do gen bio, gen chem, math, and maybe physics, there? And then transfer to ASU for ochem, biochem, and all the upper-division sciences that I need. (CC is cheaper, so I want to take as much as I can there so I can save money.)

I'm also starting volunteering at the local humane society and although I haven't gotten my placement yet, I'm hoping for one of their two clinics that they have attached to their humane society (or to work my way up to that). I plan to do that for probably 8-12 hours a week probably through when I go back to school. (I will have a very unique job come May that will allow for a lot of flexible freetime.)

Do I still need to take English, etc, if I have a prior bachelors degree (even if it was a while ago)? Or is that one of those things that vary school by school? I figure it might be worth asking schools, but I'm early enough that I'm not entirely sure where I'll apply (I'll probably, optimistically, be c/o 2023, most likely 2024 - a year for gen-chem, a year for o-chem, then biochem after). Depends how hardcore I feel like going, haha.

Goal is to start slow-ish (gen chem and bio, with maybe math-stuff or electives as needed), then work my way up to the second+ year with o-chem and other high-level bio classes, to show that I can handle a full load of science classes.

Does this sound reasonable? Anything you would suggest, change, etc? I know I have a long way to go, but this is the first step.

Thanks. :)

There is often an 8-10 year mark in which prereqs expire, including general education like English etc, so you might check with vet schools on that. CC are great for lower level. Since it has been a while, you might start a bit slow, taking max two sciences at once, to build the strong foundation you need to succeed with each step up. Don't ever sacrifice the grades for shadowing hours, just make sure the vet experience you get is good quality and if you can, well rounded in the various aspects of the profession.

Glad to see you back! :)

Reactions: 3 users
was thinking of starting at a local Community College and do gen bio, gen chem, math, and maybe physics, there? And then transfer to ASU for ochem, biochem, and all the upper-division sciences that I need. (CC is cheaper, so I want to take as much as I can there so I can save money.)
I did most of my prereqs at CC before transferring to a university to finish my bachelor's. I think I did bio, chem, ochem, math/stats, physics, and all my GEs. I'm glad I did ochem at CC, because although it was still really tough, I think my friends that did it at a 4 year had an even rougher time with it. But definitely check what the schools you're thinking about applying to require before doing ochem at CC.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely check with schools on how old your pre-reqs can be! Oregon State is my IS and they took my pre-reqs from 1997-2002. I know some schools want them to be within 6-10 years, but there are some that don't care, especially if you are currently taking classes.

Reactions: 1 user
I didn't take English or speech/communication, and was able to use my bachelors degree as a substitute for those. My local CC didn't offer orgo with a lab, which ISU wanted, so I was only able to do one year cheaply before having to switch to a 4-year school. I highly recommend talking to advisors at the CC and your IS before you start taking classes. Plan it out before you start so you don't end up paying extra for stuff you don't really need. And to make sure the classes are offered in the semester you want to take them in! I took summer classes too, so I only had 2 years of pre-reqs at 2 classes per semester, instead of 3 years. Summer classes had fewer students, which was great for starting orgo.

Thanks, all. :)

@Lupin21 - that makes sense. I'm definitely planning to start with just genchem and bio. I think (because it's been so long) I need an 'intro chem' course before genchem, so I might take that and math in the summer (or spring), if I can. That'll be the nice thing about taking a break before the classes - I can start building relationships with vets, and start getting hours, before I introduce the craziness of school into the mix!

@Teepster87 - Looks like I need to take a look at schools sooner than I thought. Doesn't hurt, though. I'm a bit cautious about the CC down here because I don't know how rigorous it is/what the general 'opinion' is, so I guess I'll feel it out as I go. If it's anything like the CCs back home, it's going to be as 'evil' as the four-years!

@cowgirl92 - The whole IS vs OOS is...aha. Kind of funny. I live in AZ for school, am a WA resident, and may become an AZ resident at the end of this year (since I'm staying down here). I have no idea what will be IS or OOS for me by the time it comes to apply. :/ I've heard really good things about Midwestern, but $$$$. (The other benefit is I wouldn't have to move!)

@genny - Thank you!! I've got some time, but I'm planning to meet with CC advisors sometime this summer/fall, depending on timing. That actually makes a lot of sense, with orgo - I'll make that the summer of orgo, then! I think I'll spend some time this month making a 'shortlist' of schools to look into, and focus on solidly hitting their requirements...

I'm a nontraditional student and took my english courses like 15 years ago and every school I applied to still took them. I think a lot of the time limited classes are usually science pre-reqs, but obviously check with each school just to make sure.

Reactions: 1 users