It's Dec. and not a single invite??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UpperEastSide

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Stats:

cGPA: 3.69
BPCM gpa: 3:81
MCAT: 30
Not a minority
Graduated with honors, medicinal biochem major, minor math, research experience, and currently doing a masters.

Applied to 21 schools. 5 rejections so far. Just curious if anyone is in the same boat as me? :thumbdown:(

Members don't see this ad.

when were you complete

where did you apply

did you do/get enough of the required EC's

impossible for anyone to know what boat you're in without this information

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted the AMCAS in Aug, did the majority of secondaries in sept, had a few left over i did in oct/nov.

Standard ECs: volunteer 2 yrs, did an internship in ER, took 3 law school courses at undergrad level (project excellence thing), honors thesis in photo-physical organic chemistry (2.5 years, no publication though), shadowed plastic surgeon, TA for advanced general chemistry, active member of american chemical society club and amsa...

Things i know i am lacking but don't know how much the adversely affect me: No scholarship or award.. Wish i had a goldwater/USA Today/ fullbright/ New York Times or whatever... No publications.. No leadership roles within clubs/organizations... And not a minority. OH, and my mcat i guess (verbal section- 8, PS was 12)

Yes, about 10. The other 11 were my stats. 5 of the rejections are from the 10 that are above my stats.

You. Were. Late.

seriously, there's nothing wrong with your application but since you aren't spectacular either, you really need every advantage. finishing up secondaries in Nov is a huge no-no. If you don't get in this year, apply AMCAS in June and knock all your secondaries out by August.

Some people think an 8 on verbal isn't good enough, but I'm not sure it's worth retaking just for that. It's the section most resistant to improvement on retake.

You. Were. Late.

seriously, there's nothing wrong with your application but since you aren't spectacular either, you really need every advantage. finishing up secondaries in Nov is a huge no-no. If you don't get in this year, apply AMCAS in June and knock all your secondaries out by August.

Some people think an 8 on verbal isn't good enough, but I'm not sure it's worth retaking just for that. It's the section most resistant to improvement on retake.

+1...the biggest thing to help your application chances is to apply early! As in beginning of June early. Then get your secondaries done in a timely manner. This being said, the application season is not over yet so don't write yourself off completely.

i feel like swallowing a bottle of barbiturates... BARF.

You have a solid resume, I wouldn't worry way too much yet. I keep hearing things pick up a lot more in January and February, especially for schools who only interview people that really stand out to them, saving the rest for when the applicant pool is complete. Also, people have mentioned before that if you have some sort of red flag on your primary, sometimes people don't realize that they have a red flag. Save that, how well did you think you wrote your PS and essays?

Lastly, if it's at all comforting, of the people I personally, one has gotten an interview only at a DO program(he rebuffed my congrats, I really don't get why there is so much stigma w/ DO..), two have had interviews at our state's least competitive school, one of which got in to my horror(she's very smart but is frankly one of the most immoral and manipulative people I have ever met, but that's not for here). Every other person hasn't gotten a thing. Two of them in particular surprise me, one just received his masters in medicine, has a solid MCAT, and has plenty of research, another who has similar numbers to me but more extra curriculars, more research, and more shadowing.

This thread has been reported by several members due to the statement by the OP about self-harm. SDN takes such statements seriously, even if they are intended to be humorous, and we would like to remind the OP and all posters that SDN should not serve as a place to obtain counseling or other advice regarding significant psychological issues. Anyone who is contemplating harming themselves should immediately seek professional counseling advice, not rely on SDN or other non-professional resources.

Members who have serious concerns about their career and would like to post details more anonymously may do so in the Confidential Consult forum.

At this time, given the nature of the thread and themes expressed, the moderation staff of SDN will close this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.