It's easier to score higher on the new MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Foot Fetish

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is purely anecdotal, but I know two people who scored a 514 on the new MCAT, which is *supposedly* equivalent to a 34 on the old MCAT. Well, I scored a 34 back when I took the old MCAT, and, not to sound like an arrogant prick, but I am 100% sure that I am more intelligent than these two people. They're not dullards by any means, but I beat each of them by over 200 points on the SAT back when it was out of 2400, and I didn't even study for it...You must admit that's pretty compelling evidence...and I worked my ass off to prepare for the MCAT. I put in months upon months of studying and fought tooth and nail on exam day...it blows me away that my 34 would be equivalent to these people's scores. I'm not saying the actual test is easier than the old format...but I really feel that the grading scale is somehow easier.

Thoughts ? (Flame away)

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, it's so easy that kindergartners are like "WTF easier than the ABCs."
In all honesty, the SAT wasn't something that you had to study for. You could do some practice tests, but most people I know did well without studying. And people that did well on the SAT didn't always do well on other standardized tests.
But you 100% think you're more intelligent because what? You scored higher on a high school test? That's it? How do you know that these people didn't put in "months upon months of studying and fought tooth and nail" on their test day?

Reactions: 1 user
This is purely anecdotal, but I know two people who scored a 514 on the new MCAT, which is *supposedly* equivalent to a 34 on the old MCAT. Well, I scored a 34 back when I took the old MCAT, and, not to sound like an arrogant prick, but I am 100% sure that I am more intelligent than these two people. They're not dullards by any means, but I beat each of them by over 200 points on the SAT back when it was out of 2400, and I didn't even study for it...You must admit that's pretty compelling evidence...and I worked my ass off to prepare for the MCAT. I put in months upon months of studying and fought tooth and nail on exam day...it blows me away that my 34 would be equivalent to these people's scores. I'm not saying the actual test is easier than the old format...but I really feel that the grading scale is somehow easier.

Thoughts ? (Flame away)

It's a standardized test... and percentages are percentages. Also the likely answer is that the new Psych/Soc section can give people who are not as scientifically inclined an ability to score high.

Getting a higher SAT doesn't mean your smarter than them lmfao
the MCAT is a critical thinking test. They have the same critical thinking ability as you. Get over it.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thoughts ? (Flame away)

You should probably lose that attitude if you're actually in medical school...

Reactions: 2 users
Personally think the old test would be easier except for the verbal scale. You guys didn't have to do as much content review or deal with experimental biochemistry not to mention the BS P/S section. I like organic chem a lot. Took an old AAMC and scored a 37 a week after my first MCAT but obviously a practice test isn't the same as the real deal. Also a 514 is 92% while a 34 is 94% so you still did better...

Last edited:
Pathetic and useless post! This person definitely trolling or get no life. Just focus on yourself and your achievements!

Even if it is "easier", this does nothing to help your situation. Since the test is standardized and you are being compared to other people who have taken the same "easier" new MCAT, any advantage you think you have pretty much cancels out.