It's Me Again

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

metoo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Below in bold type is a post I wrote two months ago in the Osteopathic Medical School Specific Discussion. Three things have changed since then. So I retook the MCAT (with the hope of doing better). My AAMC practice test average is a 29. I know the general rule is to expect to get around three points lower than your practice average, so I might be back at 26 again. Lets hope not.

My GPA's have also changed. I think I must have entered the course work incorrectly. My sGPA is a 2.96 (very very sad) and my cGPA is 3.11.

It seems like the sGPA golden rules are competitive sGPA starts at 3.4 and anything below a 3.0, don't even bother. I know that a high MCAT score will help, but what if I get a 26 again?

Hope to hear from you soon,

Metoo

2014-2015 admissions cycle.
- sGPA 3.00
- cGPA 3.10
- MCAT 26
- Took one graduate level class, Gross Anatomy at the John A. Burns SOM. Got a B.
- 2 MD shadow (Urologist and Pediatric Surgeon).
- 1 DO shadow (Family Medicine). This doctor works at Hawaii's CHC. She's a preceptor and teaches 2nd year OMM. She let me attend the class, the students were amazing. She has written a LOR for me.
- Have another DO LOR. Only a mentor, did not shadow (Retired).
- Publication. Illustrated a chapter in a college level textbook. The chapter was on the reproductive system.
- Publication. Psychological research concerning stress related illnesses seen in first responders. Findings presented at Utah Legislation Conference.
- Missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
- Volunteer: Emergency Room, Boy Scouts of America-Asst. Scout Master, Hurricane Katrina cleanup (slept in a tent with other individuals who were part of the cleanup team), homeless shelter, play ground construction, medical supplies drives, and Church involvements.
- Phlebotomist at plasma center.
- Research Tech. for pharmaceuticals company.
- URM Native American (Lumbee Tribe).
- First gen. High School grad.
- 29 years old. Married with one child. Perhaps it will show that I am mature; I don't know.

Members don't see this ad.

ECs look great and URM status helps (I think?). Apply broadly and hope for some love.

But if you spent a year doing grade replacement, you would be a MUCH stronger applicant and have more of a choice, maybe get into a medical school closer to home etc.

ECs look great and URM status helps (I think?). Apply broadly and hope for some love.

But if you spent a year doing grade replacement, you would be a MUCH stronger applicant and have more of a choice, maybe get into a medical school closer to home etc.
Thank you for your advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you'll be alright. Just apply early and broadly to the right schools.

It would be better if that sGPA was above a 3.0 though.

Last edited:
I think you'll be alright. Just apply early and broadly to the right schools.

It would be better if that sGPA was above a 3.0 though.
Thank you for your reply. My app is done, just waiting for that MCAT score to come back.

Hello,

Below in bold type is a post I wrote two months ago in the Osteopathic Medical School Specific Discussion. Three things have changed since then. So I retook the MCAT (with the hope of doing better). My AAMC practice test average is a 29. I know the general rule is to expect to get around three points lower than your practice average, so I might be back at 26 again. Lets hope not.

My GPA's have also changed. I think I must have entered the course work incorrectly. My sGPA is a 2.96 (very very sad) and my cGPA is 3.11.

It seems like the sGPA golden rules are competitive sGPA starts at 3.4 and anything below a 3.0, don't even bother. I know that a high MCAT score will help, but what if I get a 26 again?

Hope to hear from you soon,

Metoo

2014-2015 admissions cycle.
- sGPA 3.00
- cGPA 3.10
- MCAT 26
- Took one graduate level class, Gross Anatomy at the John A. Burns SOM. Got a B.
- 2 MD shadow (Urologist and Pediatric Surgeon).
- 1 DO shadow (Family Medicine). This doctor works at Hawaii's CHC. She's a preceptor and teaches 2nd year OMM. She let me attend the class, the students were amazing. She has written a LOR for me.
- Have another DO LOR. Only a mentor, did not shadow (Retired).
- Publication. Illustrated a chapter in a college level textbook. The chapter was on the reproductive system.
- Publication. Psychological research concerning stress related illnesses seen in first responders. Findings presented at Utah Legislation Conference.
- Missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
- Volunteer: Emergency Room, Boy Scouts of America-Asst. Scout Master, Hurricane Katrina cleanup (slept in a tent with other individuals who were part of the cleanup team), homeless shelter, play ground construction, medical supplies drives, and Church involvements.
- Phlebotomist at plasma center.
- Research Tech. for pharmaceuticals company.
- URM Native American (Lumbee Tribe).
- First gen. High School grad.
- 29 years old. Married with one child. Perhaps it will show that I am mature; I don't know.

Don't give up!

I think you'll do just fine getting into at least a DO school if you apply broadly. Your EC's are great, and you are mature. This will help. When I interviewed this last cycle, no one asked me a thing about my grades or MCAT score. They asked me about my children, my reasons for becoming a physician, my EC's, and my employment.

My highest MCAT was a 26 (my first score was a 21) and I am not a minority. I'm a 34 y.o. returned missionary who has been out of BYU since 2003. I am headed to Texas Tech-El Paso for medical school. I also got into 3 DO schools. If I'm anything to go by, you have a great chance of getting into medical school. ATSU-SOMA (I loved their program and interview) may be a good school to research.

Your desire will take you far.

Take one retake and break 3.0 on your sGPA and you'll be fine. The problem is that a lot of schools cutoff at 3.0, so just making it past the initial cutoffs will significantly improve your chances.

Hello Everyone,

I thought I would let SDN know what happen with my MCAT. I got a 22 (6P/8V/8B) and my GPAs are 3.10s. and 3.19c. I applied to 21 DO schools and 2 Caribbean schools.

If I can't get into a DO program I will go to SGU. SGU does grade replacement and takes math and computer science into science GPA calculation. For them, my science GPA is a 3.7. I'll be 30 in a few months so I'm ready to get this show on the road.

Thanks to everyone who has replied and will reply in the future.

Sincerely,
metoo

Hello Everyone,

I thought I would let SDN know what happen with my MCAT. I got a 22 (6P/8V/8B) and my GPAs are 3.10s. and 3.19c. I applied to 21 DO schools and 2 Caribbean schools.

If I can't get into a DO program I will go to SGU. SGU does grade replacement and takes math and computer science into science GPA calculation. For them, my science GPA is a 3.7. I'll be 30 in a few months so I'm ready to get this show on the road.

Sincerely,
metoo

Hi metoo:

Are you currently in Hawai'i? and are you local? If so, you need to check out JABSOM's 'Imi Ho'ola Post-Bacc Program (http://jabsom.hawaii.edu/jabsom/admissions/special.php). This program favors students with strong ties to Hawai'i and the Asia-Pacific Basin. Basically, it's a one year program and the curriculum mirrors first year at JABSOM. If you successfully pass the program, you are guaranteed a seat in the following year's MD class. 12 spots are allotted each year, so if all 12 'Imi students pass, they all matriculate; and there is no competition with your classmates, you just need to pass the program. Feedback that I have received from past students who have been through the program and ultimately went through the MD program all said that even though your seat is guaranteed if you pass, the program is extremely hard. Like I have mentioned it is very similar to JABSOM's first-year MD curriculum: anatomy, biochemistry, histology, etc. Please check out the link above for more information. These same students, however, said that their first year was a lot easier since they had already seen the material.

You do have to apply to JABSOM, though, and the program has its own application process. Application is currently open, and everything is due on November 1. Your GPAs are fine; but your MCAT is on the low side; however, the only MCAT requirement 'Imi has is a minimum of 5 in verbal. Again, if you have strong ties to Hawai'i, or the surrounding areas (like Guam and Micronesia), I highly suggest you applying. Again, if you pass the program, you are guaranteed a seat in the following year's MD class.

Either way, I wish you the best of luck. You and I have the same LOR's from the same droctor from WCCHC -- she's a great doctor, and it was awesome watching her perform OMM on her patients. If you need any more information about 'Imi, send me a PM and I'll gladly help you out.

Good luck!!! :)

Hello Everyone,

Sincerely,
metoo
You still have a shot--albeit a slim one.

Hi metoo:

Are you currently in Hawai'i? and are you local? If so, you need to check out JABSOM's 'Imi Ho'ola Post-Bacc Program (http://jabsom.hawaii.edu/jabsom/admissions/special.php). This program favors students with strong ties to Hawai'i and the Asia-Pacific Basin. Basically, it's a one year program and the curriculum mirrors first year at JABSOM. If you successfully pass the program, you are guaranteed a seat in the following year's MD class. 12 spots are allotted each year, so if all 12 'Imi students pass, they all matriculate; and there is no competition with your classmates, you just need to pass the program. Feedback that I have received from past students who have been through the program and ultimately went through the MD program all said that even though your seat is guaranteed if you pass, the program is extremely hard. Like I have mentioned it is very similar to JABSOM's first-year MD curriculum: anatomy, biochemistry, histology, etc. Please check out the link above for more information. These same students, however, said that their first year was a lot easier since they had already seen the material.

You do have to apply to JABSOM, though, and the program has its own application process. Application is currently open, and everything is due on November 1. Your GPAs are fine; but your MCAT is on the low side; however, the only MCAT requirement 'Imi has is a minimum of 5 in verbal. Again, if you have strong ties to Hawai'i, or the surrounding areas (like Guam and Micronesia), I highly suggest you applying. Again, if you pass the program, you are guaranteed a seat in the following year's MD class.

Either way, I wish you the best of luck. You and I have the same LOR's from the same droctor from WCCHC -- she's a great doctor, and it was awesome watching her perform OMM on her patients. If you need any more information about 'Imi, send me a PM and I'll gladly help you out.

Good luck!!! :)
Thanks for your reply. I don't qualify for the program. Even though I've lived here since 2010, my wife was born and raised here, my son was born here, and I've gone to college here. I meet only 2 out of 3 requirements to be considered a resident for the medical school and thus the Post-Bacc Program.

Good luck to you too!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Everyone,

Sincerely,
metoo

Please reconsider the Caribbean route. I believe there was a thread going on this forum about it, if you want i can link it to you.

If i recall correctly, some D.O. schools take the highest sub-score from your mcat and some take the most recent mcat, not too sure on the latter. Maybe someone can chime in and back me up on this. Your chances have not diminished, though you may have to explain why your mcat retake is lower. I would re-take some classes to bump up the gpa to a 3.4 then apply again.

Please reconsider the Caribbean route. I believe there was a thread going on this forum about it, if you want i can link it to you.

If i recall correctly, some D.O. schools take the highest sub-score from your mcat and some take the most recent mcat, not too sure on the latter. Maybe someone can chime in and back me up on this. Your chances have not diminished, though you may have to explain why your mcat retake is lower. I would re-take some classes to bump up the gpa to a 3.4 then apply again.
Yes, I agree with what everyone have said so far, be careful with Caribbean Schools.
I started two threads that have ample responses from SDN gurus
1) Exhaust all USMD/ DO options before Caribbean (Why Caribbean might not be such a good choice)
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...an-schools-and-stick-with-do-schools.1081227/
2) Also, if you are interested in learning more about the Caribbean Schools (FAQ)
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...f-questions-are-coming.1081063/#post-15391267

Thanks for the reply. To be honest, I voided my first MCAT but was averaging a 26 on the AAMC tests so that's what I put in my posts in order to get feedback from SDN. I thought I was going to get a 26 this 2nd go-round (was averaging a 29 on the new AAMC tests I was taking). Good thing I voided the first time because I would of probably ended up with a 14.

I know the Caribbean isn't the best but I'm tired of taking undergrad classes and studying for the MCAT. It's time for me to move on, so that's why I decided to just go ahead and apply. To speak about my MCAT really quickly, I got a B/A in Gen. Chem. I/II and a B/C in Physics I/II. On the AAMC tests I never got below an 8 on the PS and a 10 on the VR. I don't know what happen, I felt very confident after the exam.

Yes, I agree with what everyone have said so far, be careful with Caribbean Schools.
I started two threads that have ample responses from SDN gurus
1) Exhaust all USMD/ DO options before Caribbean (Why Caribbean might not be such a good choice)
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...an-schools-and-stick-with-do-schools.1081227/
2) Also, if you are interested in learning more about the Caribbean Schools (FAQ)
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...f-questions-are-coming.1081063/#post-15391267
Thank you for such a thoughtful reply. I just think that at this point in my life (I know I sound like I'm 80) I just need to move on and see if I get in somewhere.

Thanks for the reply. To be honest, I voided my first MCAT but was averaging a 26 on the AAMC tests so that's what I put in my posts in order to get feedback from SDN. I thought I was going to get a 26 this 2nd go-round (was averaging a 29 on the new AAMC tests I was taking). Good thing I voided the first time because I would of probably ended up with a 14.

I know the Caribbean isn't the best but I'm tired of taking undergrad classes and studying for the MCAT. It's time for me to move on, so that's why I decided to just go ahead and apply. To speak about my MCAT really quickly, I got a B/A in Gen. Chem. I/II and a B/C in Physics I/II. On the AAMC tests I never got below an 8 on the PS and a 10 on the VR. I don't know what happen, I felt very confident after the exam.

I know what you mean, I've been out of undergrad doing post-bac work and trying to get myself to study for the MCAT. Also am a nontraditional student, really want to get my life going. Hang in there man, you don't want to end up spending all that work and money into a Caribbean school only to have a 50% chance of matching into a residency.

Thank you for such a thoughtful reply. I just think that at this point in my life (I know I sound like I'm 80) I just need to move on and see if I get in somewhere.
Moving onto the Caribbean is not going to help you at all. It will only make things worse.

You need to apply very broadly. If you look at the statistics from last year, you fall within the standard deviation of Native American matriculants. However, the year before that, NA matriculants had higher stats. If I were you, I'd look at the underdog threads and apply to any schools where people with <3.0 on science got an interview.

Best of luck.

Moving onto the Caribbean is not going to help you at all. It will only make things worse.

You need to apply very broadly. If you look at the statistics from last year, you fall within the standard deviation of Native American matriculants. However, the year before that, NA matriculants had higher stats. If I were you, I'd look at the underdog threads and apply to any schools where people with <3.0 on science got an interview.

Best of luck.
Thanks for the reply. Do you think I have a chance at EVCOM-Auburn?

I know what you mean, I've been out of undergrad doing post-bac work and trying to get myself to study for the MCAT. Also am a nontraditional student, really want to get my life going. Hang in there man, you don't want to end up spending all that work and money into a Caribbean school only to have a 50% chance of matching into a residency.
Thanks for the encouragement.

Thanks for the reply. Do you think I have a chance at EVCOM-Auburn?
Honestly, I don't know. Since it is their first year taking students, I think it's worth it to send an application. Just make sure they don't have a strict 3.0 cutoff.

Honestly, I don't know. Since it is their first year taking students, I think it's worth it to send an application. Just make sure they don't have a strict 3.0 cutoff.
I'm hoping because they're new they'll give me a chance. I have a 3.10sGPA and a 3.19cGPA with a MCAT of 22 (6P/8V/8B). I applied to 21 DO schools along with SGU and AUC.

Suggest DO acceptance over imi & imi acceptance over carrib. (interesting took the same anatomy class, yeah it was a nightmare LOL).

Suggest DO acceptance over imi & imi acceptance over carrib. (interesting took the same anatomy class, yeah it was a nightmare LOL).
Thanks for the reply. Did you apply to the imi program? I don't qualify.

Thanks for the reply. Did you apply to the imi program? I don't qualify.

No. There were people from the mainland who got in actually (they just lived here for a few years). The program is intense though from what my friends have said who went through it. Just apply anyway, you have nothing to lose.

No. There were people from the mainland who got in actually (they just lived here for a few years). The program is intense though from what my friends have said who went through it. Just apply anyway, you have nothing to lose.
I think I will just because my wife is from here and she really doesn't want to move LOL. But I only meet 2 of the 3 requirements to be considered a resident for the medical school, so that's why I don't qualify.

I think I will just because my wife is from here and she really doesn't want to move LOL. But I only meet 2 of the 3 requirements to be considered a resident for the medical school, so that's why I don't qualify.

I can see your dilemma. Did your parents live here for anytime in Hawaii? Or did you live with a relative here in Hawaii when you were under 18? That is all I can think of to help you otherwise I am not sure.

I can see your dilemma. Did your parents live here for anytime in Hawaii? Or did you live with a relative here in Hawaii when you were under 18? That is all I can think of to help you otherwise I am not sure.
No. I met my wife at college in Utah. She was born and raised here. I moved here in 2010 and had a son in 2011 (born here). I also went to college here. I wish UH would allow me to use my Native American status to replace not being Native Hawaiian. My wife keeps pushing me to apply but I keep telling her, there's no way I'd get in.

No. I met my wife at college in Utah. She was born and raised here. I moved here in 2010 and had a son in 2011 (born here). I also went to college here. I wish UH would allow me to use my Native American status to replace not being Native Hawaiian. My wife keeps pushing me to apply but I keep telling her, there's no way I'd get in.

You can contact the program director of imi and see what your chances are. However, you are right in thinking that it will be far more difficult to do with non-resident status.

I think another option you can look at is to apply to ATSU-SOMA and try to apply for your 2-4 years here (at the Waianae CHC). You would only be away from your family for a year. Plus they give preference for the CHC years to those living in that particular area.

Yeah, everyone I spoke to said the exact same thing, some even said take the sure thing (DO acceptance) over 'imi if you don't care about letters (MD vs DO). Though like you said, your wife and child are from here, so it wouldn't hurt to apply. No doubt that you'll save a lot of money (in-state tuition), and 'imi tuition is $3000 for the year. That's chump change when looking at the grand scheme of things. One thing though -- no financial aid, so you'll have to find a way to pay for the tuition ($1500 per semester). You do get a monthly stipend of $1000 - 1200 a month while in the program.

I'm assuming you meet the following two criteria: 1) college here and 2) legal state of residence. Were you born here? went to high school here? You are an URM, may help you in your favor. If you really interested, I'd email the program coordinator and schedule a meeting with her, just to discuss your options. Like islandstyle808 said, you have nothing to lose.

I also agree with everyone's sentiment in this thread, and in others across the forums -- exhaust all possibilities(DO/MD) here in the states.

Good luck!!!
:)

Last edited:
You can contact the program director of imi and see what your chances are. However, you are right in thinking that it will be far more difficult to do with non-resident status.

I think another option you can look at is to apply to ATSU-SOMA and try to apply for your 2-4 years here (at the Waianae CHC). You would only be away from your family for a year. Plus they give preference for the CHC years to those living in that particular area.

just a heads up. According to SOMA's 2013-2014 thread, SOMA is no longer accepting new students for the Waianae CHC. They're replacing it with a new one in Chicago, so no more Hawaii... bummer.

SOMA ended their affiliation with the Waianae CHC, very sad about that. Current students will finish out their time there, but no more new students are coming. I still applied there. Hope I get in.

just a heads up. According to SOMA's 2013-2014 thread, SOMA is no longer accepting new students for the Waianae CHC. They're replacing it with a new one in Chicago, so no more Hawaii... bummer.

Oh wow. That is too bad.

Anyway congrats on your acceptance. Are you matriculating to JABSOM?

Yeah, everyone I spoke to said the exact same thing, some even said take the sure thing (DO acceptance) over 'imi if you don't care about letters (MD vs DO). Though like you said, your wife and child are from here, so it wouldn't hurt to apply. No doubt that you'll save a lot of money (in-state tuition), and 'imi tuition is $3000 for the year. That's chump change when looking at the grand scheme of things. One thing though -- no financial aid, so you'll have to find a way to pay for the tuition ($1500 per semester). You do get a monthly stipend of $1000 - 1200 a month while in the program.

I'm assuming you meet the following two criteria: 1) college here and 2) legal state of residence. Were you born here? went to high school here? You are an URM, may help you in your favor. If you really interested, I'd email the program coordinator and schedule a meeting with her, just to discuss your options. Like islandstyle808 said, you have nothing to lose.

I also agree with everyone's sentiment in this thread, and in others across the forums -- exhaust all possibilities here at home.

Good luck!!!
I didn't know the program was that cheap. I actually had an interview with the Assistant Director of Admissions, Dr. Asano. This was about 2 years ago. She told me that Imi' uses the kamaaina status determined by JABSOM. I actually went so far as to try to convince my mom to move here for a year but she wasn't having it HAHA.

I also agree with everyone's sentiment in this thread, and in others across the forums -- exhaust all possibilities here at home.

Good luck!!!

They actually give you a stipend (don't know how much it was, but I am pretty sure it covers at least tuition).

Thanks for your reply. When you say slim shot, are we talking winning the lottery kind of chances?
I would have said no shot at all if I were talking about winning the lottery king of chances... Looking at your ECs and the fact that you are an URM, I would say it's a 50/50. I think you can get 2+ interview invites if you have a compelling PS and make the case 'why DO' in your secondaries...

Last edited:
Make sure to try LUCOM and VCOM-Auburn, as well as SOMA. I would throw in OSU, LMU, WVSOM, KYCOM too. Get your stuff out soon and hope for the best.

Why not take a year off, beef up the mcat to something above 26?

I'm hoping because they're new they'll give me a chance. I have a 3.10sGPA and a 3.19cGPA with a MCAT of 22 (6P/8V/8B). I applied to 21 DO schools along with SGU and AUC.
I thought you had a 26 on the MCAT. With a 22 I see it very hard to happen. Not impossible though. Better complete every secondary.