It's mid january....no interviews...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Don

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok, so am I the only one? what's going on? does this mean I'm pretty much doomed? everybody else seems to be getting some good news? Does no news mean good news for some schools, if so which ones? I know of stanford, but what about the others? And believe it or not still no news about a secondary from UCI and I turned that UC supp in late august....anyways I was just wondering if any of you are going through this like I am :(

Members don't see this ad.

Dr. Don you are not alone, nobody is showing me any love either. I also have not received any interviews. I am keeping my hopes up though(and I am usually very pessimistic). This process really sucks. :rolleyes:

I'll shoot straight with you, man. It's not a good position to be in. DO NOT give up, however. My first and only interview came in March last year. One interview is all it takes. Until you have rejection letters from every school you applied to, you are still in the game.

Good luck to ya!

Members don't see this ad :)
my friend got a UCLA interview in July last year...and was accepted.

thanks swapman, I like to say sh-t straight out too....What do you people think? should I start calling admissions offices? I heard mid january to early february is usually the time that most rejections/interview notices come in..does that sound right? hey daisygirl I wish you luck too...I wonder if that damn 6 on my verbal is messing everything up...I have 10's in my other sections, went to a good school (UCLA), obtained a pretty decent GPA, I think my letters of REc are solid, got a bunch of EC, leadership, clinical, and now I'm getting research experience..WHAT THE FU_K IS GOING ON? :mad: sorry had to let that one out....

wow UCLA2000, thanks for that note....there's still hope for us DAISYGIRL!!1 ;)

Hey Dr. Don,

As Swamp said, you are in a tough place right now for sure, but it's not yet time to give up. I applied to 25 schools and have not yet heard from 12 of them - many of these are less than great schools to which I would expect to get an interview (not to sound too arrogant or cocky, but with my stats I would expect an interview at places like Tufts, BU, etc)...Anyway, this tells me that many schools are not done sending interview invitations.

Gotta say, though, since you like things straight up, your 6 in verbal may very well be what's keeping you from getting interviews. If, by chance, things don't work out this cycle, I would strongly suggest re-taking the test.

As far as what you can do right now - unfortunately not much. If you are interested in a particular school that you think you have a shot at, you may want to write them a letter informing them of your interest. A letter is better than calling if you ask me. Also, if you are in school (doesn't sound like you are), fall grades may help if they are good...Sorry I can't be of any real help to ya...good luck though.

6 in verbal is not too impressive but I know someone with 6,12,12 and he got interviews from UCSF, UCLA, UCD, and UCSD for MDPHD program--He had his first interview at UCSF couple weeks ago.

What was your total score? I do think that you should think hard about retaking the MCAT this year and start working on your reading now. (not that I'm a verbal whiz either) Last year, I had a 7 on my verbal and a composite score of 27, so I was in a similar situation. I had a good gpa and tons of activities also, but the one and only interview I got was at my state school which just ended up in a rejection. It's just a very competitive process. Having said this, don't give up and you've got nothing to lose by writing letters to schools, especially the UC's.

Hey whassup Dr. Don..Everybody knows this process is ****ty. But don?t give up hope. As for your verbal score, do not stress over it. Most medical schools don?t take it into high consideration (I would say they usually glaze over it except its a 5or 1). Anyway I took the august 2000 and 2001 MCATs..my Verbal scores were 7 and a 6. I suxed in the writing section the first time ... L and then improved to an O.
Well right now the things you should keep in mind is the interview season is not over!! So the question now is will you be ready when you are eventually offered an interview???
But if bad some bad omen you do not get into med. school this year...you will definitely get in next year.
But then the difference should be to aim for your dream school which will mean -time to get things accomplished. In other words,improve your application and be the first in line during the next app season to submit the "New and improved You".
As you would know, there are a couple of ways to add "pluses" to your app. -Such as MCAT, Work (clinical related or help related) personal statement (very important), research, grades. Hey, improvement in personality and adopting better outlooks towards life in general play a big factor as well.
Visit pre-med. conferences and open houses and get to know someone in particular schools of interest.
If you happen to take the MCAT again..and verbal does not turn out to be great- remember don?t stress. Hey the 6 and 7 did not stop me from getting interviews and I was fortunate to be accepted into 3 schools (esp. where I wanted).

So be confident in your self and it is not over yet! Remember what are going to say to win them over when a medical school finally gives you an interview. Doctors are not genius (4.0, 43S) or first class heroes (saved a village from yellow fever) but just good peeps
:D

Don....I feel your pain bro.....I applied to 20 schools, and am still waiting on 17 of them. Isn't that crazy??? I know I'm "on hold" at a couple of places (GW, MCP) but that just drives me even more crazy.

The problem I'm having is that I really want to send them all an "update" letter but I don't really know what to say. I'm not in school anymore, and I'm actually working at a non-medicine related job (tech sector) that I can't leave cause I need the health benefits right now.

So basically....I just sit here and wait....(and beat the crap out of my mailbox every day no med stuff comes)...

hate this process....

Hi Everyone, this is my first time posting so bear with me! I'm still learning.

Whew it's good to know I'm not the only one...hopefully good things do come to those who are still waiting...and waiting...and waiting...arrrrrrrgh!!

:p

Hey aldo16,

IS there anything in your application you would like to highlight? Why not write your "update letter' about that?

briefly of course. But you want to mention why you make a great canidate.

Don't give up. We still have 2 months left!!!! :)

Hey vic - nice post. However, I think you might be mistaken about the emphasis ad.coms. place on the verbal score. A little while back someone posted a bunch of links to research regarding efficacy of the MCAT in predicting medical school performance. From what I was able to gather, the highest correlations were found with the verbal section - highest correlation was also found between verbal and USMLE performance. Also, some student ad. com. members have released formulas schools use to screen for MCAT and GPA, and all that I have seen multiply the verbal section with a higher value than the other two.
Anyway, congrats. on your acceptances and good job in overcoming your obstacles! Take care.

Darwin -

I've been told the same thing about the Verbal score, it is very important. But I'm sure some schools realize that it's not everything.

I just hope that med schools will also look at the fact that for some of us english was not our first language, and besides anyone can have a bad day...personally I'm not a morning person :cool:

I had a low VR score the first time which thank goodness inmproved greatly the second time. I was told by the med school here in state that VR was very important. Maybe some schools don't care about it, but the school said they wouldn't have looked at me if I had not improved in that area.

Schools are still interviewing. Remember most of them are at least a month behind where they usuallyare. Just imagine it is Dec instead of Jan. good luck.

On the verbal topic- I agree that it is an elemental part of the app. but I have heard that it is not of immediate concern when an app is reviewed. (Let's just us say an individual who was on the Harvard med. Admission committee- said that!)-And maybe 1 or 2 others at other schools who are part of reviewing our app
However, this does not JUSTIFY settling for a low verbal score. Hell I took the MCAT twice just to try and bump my verbal score (GOD, I studied my rear-end, went through paper passages like the shredder at ENRON (hehehe just had to do that). On a serious note< I studied at least five times harder than I had had on my first MCAT. The result- I went from a 7 to a 6. With my overall score going up an extra point up.
Well forgetaboutit I wasn't going to take that exam again!! - Remember it is a one shot-usually a bad shot meant more agony (for about 3months) b4 we get another single chance to go at it again.
So back to the importance of the verbal score- True that a better MCAT verbal scorer may do well at the boards but it does not necessarily mean that others with low V scores don't put up competitive or satisfactory board numbers.
So yes; the verbal score is important but I think that most admission committee are looking at the bigger picture and how your app adds up to- meaning is this John Doe or Jane Doe have the potential of surviving med. school and turn out to become a good doctor?