It’s time for FM / IM to get out of this specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did I read that correctly? Tele-ICU which is ALSO an NP?
That's right by I think there is also a MD in that eHospital but just like in a real hospital they still have NPs there when you would atleast expect an MD at that level of decision making. Most of the job they do is so bad, just doing barr minimum to keep the patient alive till the day person shows up.

That's why you see comments from ICU nurses like this..

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• IMG_20210410_091311.jpg
    IMG_20210410_091311.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 233
Reactions: 1 users
It will be ran over by NP because the patients go to the next line of defense, hospitalists. It will take a long time until it becomes obvious admissions are inappropriate and hospitals are wasting money. You'll be old by then
Hospitalists may only be bothered by inappropriate admissions, but believe it or not, inappropriate discharge is also a thing in emergency medicine. And many times, there is no next line of defense for those folks.

Reactions: 5 users
Hospitalists may only be bothered by inappropriate admissions, but believe it or not, inappropriate discharge is also a thing in emergency medicine. And many times, there is no next line of defense for those folks.
So much this. Reminds me of a case I had a few months ago. A diabetic lady in her 60s came in w/ fever, tachycardia (130s) and severe hyperglycemia (3-400s or so). Labs and UA came back normal. The NP I'm nominally 'supervising' and the hospitalist NP decide to discharge her because the patient "wants to go home" (she was actually fine being admitted after I told her that this might/probably will be serious, they had told her that there wasn't anything to do for her in the hospital). Next day blood cultures grow out gram negative rods...

Another case. An NP I'm "supervising" picks up a patient with hip pain and temp of 37.8 or something. I'm keeping an eye on it on the tracking board. He's astute enough to order inflammatory markers, which come back sky eye, and a CT of the hip, which shows an effusion. Expecting the next orders to be a bed request, ortho consult and dose of vanco, I'm shocked to see a discharge order pop up. I have no idea what he was thinking, thankfully I caught it but wtf!

• Okay...
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So much this. Reminds me of a case I had a few months ago. A diabetic lady in her 60s came in w/ fever, tachycardia (130s) and severe hyperglycemia (3-400s or so). Labs and UA came back normal. The NP I'm nominally 'supervising' and the hospitalist NP decide to discharge her because the patient "wants to go home" (she was actually fine being admitted after I told her that this might/probably will be serious, they had told her that there wasn't anything to do for her in the hospital). Next day blood cultures grow out gram negative rods...

Another case. An NP I'm "supervising" picks up a patient with hip pain and temp of 37.8 or something. I'm keeping an eye on it on the tracking board. He's astute enough to order inflammatory markers, which come back sky eye, and a CT of the hip, which shows an effusion. Expecting the next orders to be a bed request, ortho consult and dose of vanco, I'm shocked to see a discharge order pop up. I have no idea what he was thinking, thankfully I caught it but wtf!
It's like this for me pretty much every time I work with a PLP. The stories go on and on and on. It's super painful. The ones that bounce back dead are worst :(

These are not mutually exclusive. NPs need to leave our specialty too.

Save your energy (like 99% of it) to fight your real enemy. Instead, you'll kiss their boots and yell at FM.

That's right by I think there is also a MD in that eHospital but just like in a real hospital they still have NPs there when you would atleast expect an MD at that level of decision making. Most of the job they do is so bad, just doing barr minimum to keep the patient alive till the day person shows up.

That's why you see comments from ICU nurses like this..

My hospital which is a MAJOR inner city hospital (just not a teaching hospital) has a whole squad of NPs running the various ICUs from midnight to 7am. It used to be from 7pm to 7am but we (the ED) were expected to pick up the slack and respond to any situation the NPs felt were spiraling out of control and 12 consecutive hours of making last-minute adjustments to prevent crashes - or just plain going to code blues - made us complain loud enough that the ICU team hired a new person so that they could all give coverage until midnight.

But they still have the ED give oversight from midnight until the morning and our ICU is a terrifying place to be during that time. Its so odd how few code blues there are 7am-midnight and then once the "1% of the work" ICU doctor is not there, suddenly people start dying left and right.

Reactions: 6 users
No, I completely agree with you. I think EM docs are crucial to our system not being overloaded with BS admits and to safely discharge people. My point is that EM is in a very bad position. Inappropriate admission? Goes to hospitalist. Inappropriate discharge? 99% of the time won't result in death but will make life worse for the patient and PCP. My point is, there is no immediate consequence that the hospital quantifies for the MBA to say "this is bad." I really feel for you guys getting shafted here

Reactions: 1 user
Most EDs that staff IM/FM physicians to cover their shifts are usually doing it because they are undesirable in some way and are unable to hire adequate EM trained physicians; this tends to be more common in rural EDs. A few places will do it just because they can pay IM or FM slightly less per hr than EM, but this is the exception.

So it's not IM/FM encroachment that are the main issue in the poor EM job market. The main problems as pointed are significant increase in EM residency spots and the increased use of PAs/NPs.

PAs/NPs use not only tightens the job market for physicians, since physicians have to co-sign all their notes the ones that supervise them thus take on the liability. Some places will either compensate physicians a a set basis to supervise midlevels, or reduce the patient load the physician sees independently so that they have adequate time to supervise the midlevel's patient, but many places won't. And it'll be harder to negotiate with employers when the job market is tightenting...

CCM is gonna be in big trouble soon. Not far behind EM. We have all of the same issues.
Are CCM docs looking for a way to address these issues before they're screwed?

Also, are you seeing the same gross incompetence of NPs (and sometimes PAs) in the ICU that we're seeing in the ER and primary care?

CCM is gonna be in big trouble soon. Not far behind EM. We have all of the same issues.
I've certainly seen an increase in APP staffing. Is there also a proliferation of fellowship spots? People say the CCM job market is robust and it's not difficult to find a job. I was fortunate and got a great one, but only because I was very lucky - I was sweating bullets for a while that I'd end up someplace I really didn't want to be. Mostly I got crickets from places I reached out to. So I'm already a bit wary of the optimism that some people are throwing around with respect to the CCM job market. Just coming from the application cycle it looked pretty tough out there to me.

There are jobs at small hospitals with small ICUs, but I felt that coming out of fellowship that wouldn't be a smart gig to take. In 5-10 years maybe, but not right out the gate. I'm really hoping that I love this job and that I'll stay there a long time.

Also, are you seeing the same gross incompetence of NPs (and sometimes PAs) in the ICU that we're seeing in the ER and primary care?
Most of the APPs I work with are very good. There are a few that I don't trust at all, and basically have to do their work for them. These folks increase my workload significantly, those are few and far in between. Most are great and fun to work with.

• Dislike

Most of us don’t have control over the hiring practices of hospital administrators - admin decides how they want to staff an ICU and how much they want to pay. Not much your average CCM doc can do to address these issues. I’m sure there are a few new fellowships every year and there are existing ones that have expanded citing COVID. Right now things are great, but CCM is heading the same way, just give it a few years.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Most of us don’t have control over the hiring practices of hospital administrators - admin decides how they want to staff an ICU and how much they want to pay. Not much your average CCM doc can do to address these issues. I’m sure there are a few new fellowships every year and there are existing ones that have expanded citing COVID. Right now things are great, but CCM is heading the same way, just give it a few years.

Agree, were gonna be hosed in a few years. Hoping at least my loans will be gone before that time.

On the plus side, where I am practicing they added three EM/CCM guys as a “swing” shift in the unit. So currently they like having all docs in the unit. I think itll be 3-5 years before things get bad. Theyd prob dump the swing shift first and then itll be a warning sign that I need to get a backup plan.

It's like this for me pretty much every time I work with a PLP. The stories go on and on and on. It's super painful. The ones that bounce back dead are worst :(
And the doc gets the blame, right?

Solution:

Let mid-levels free. Free physicians from the supervisory role. That's the only way for physicians to actually prove they're more skilled. There's no way to show superior skills, when in the supervisory role the physician gets blamed or sued when there's a poor outcome ("didn't supervise enough/at all") and when there's a good outcome it's, "See! Mid-levels have good outcomes!"

Getting rid of or restricting mid-levels is a fools errand and a battle already lost/surrendered by previous physician generations.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
"I passed muster, if you will, as the first non-physician, full-time, sole provider here as an NP working in the ER alongside the docs," he says. "It was so successful that we ultimately eliminated all the docs here and replaced them all with nurse practitioners or physician assistants."

Effective April 1, 2020, all seven urgent care clinics of the Edward-Elmhurst Health System will replace physicians with nurse practitioners. At least 15 physicians have been eliminated, and physicians will no longer provide patient care or medical direction in the urgent care clinics. The hospital system indicates its business model will provide lower acuity care at a lower cost.
This is why we must take advantage of every opportunity we get to become members of hospital credentialing committees and have a say in writing hospital bylaws. If enough of us take a stand when BS like this gets brought up in meetings, then it will make it much harder for such outrageous and dangerous things to take place in the future.

Agree, were gonna be hosed in a few years. Hoping at least my loans will be gone before that time.

On the plus side, where I am practicing they added three EM/CCM guys as a “swing” shift in the unit. So currently they like having all docs in the unit. I think itll be 3-5 years before things get bad. Theyd prob dump the swing shift first and then itll be a warning sign that I need to get a backup plan.

If we can get 5 good years I’ll be happy too.

In these cases I don't think anyone got blamed. The first was an urgent care miss, the patient lived and I think just moved on with life. The urgent care didn't appear to be in the same network as the hospital and there was no feedback or QC. The second that I clearly recall was in an ER in meltdown, old group fired, new group not yet in, hospital business leaders making (medical) staffing decisions, etc. No one cared. The guy was a transient laborer from out of state, going through a divorce, etc. People just moved on.

Solution:

Let mid-levels free. Free physicians from the supervisory role. That's the only way for physicians to actually prove they're more skilled. There's no way to show superior skills, when in the supervisory role the physician gets blamed or sued when there's a poor outcome ("didn't supervise enough/at all") and when there's a good outcome it's, "See! Mid-levels have good outcomes!"

Getting rid of or restricting mid-levels is a fools errand and a battle already lost/surrendered by previous physician generations.

I agree we're stuck with mid-levels, but it's hard for me not to bail them out. I'm employed and not being a "team player" would be bad for patients, bad for the institution and ultimately bad for me.

In these cases I don't think anyone got blamed. The first was an urgent care miss, the patient lived and I think just moved on with life. The urgent care didn't appear to be in the same network as the hospital and there was no feedback or QC. The second that I clearly recall was in an ER in meltdown, old group fired, new group not yet in, hospital business leaders making (medical) staffing decisions, etc. No one cared. The guy was a transient laborer from out of state, going through a divorce, etc. People just moved on.

I agree we're stuck with mid-levels, but it's hard for me not to bail them out. I'm employed and not being a "team player" would be bad for patients, bad for the institution and ultimately bad for me.
And that's how the cycle perpetuates. "I need my job, so i better comply." Don't complain there isn't another job you can go to because you perpetuate the problem

This is why we must take advantage of every opportunity we get to become members of hospital credentialing committees and have a say in writing hospital bylaws. If enough of us take a stand when BS like this gets brought up in meetings, then it will make it much harder for such outrageous and dangerous things to take place in the future.
Unfortunately, most ER docs have the mentality to check in, check out, and forget about the hospital. Being involved in medical staff committees is necessary to get representation and respect.

Unfortunately, most ER docs have the mentality to check in, check out, and forget about the hospital. Being involved in medical staff committees is necessary to get representation and respect.

True, but I get feeling that lots of CMGs actively try to keep doctors from being involved in hospital decision making.

I'm not suggesting anyone abandon mid-levels they're currently required to supervise. You're missing the point, completely. I'm saying that on a macro level, we should all be arguing they go on their own and not be tied to physician supervision, at all. 100% independent, no physician supervision or co-sign needed. Let them sink or swim on their own, let patients and the results decide.

Either you're "as good as docs" or not. If the hospitals and mid-levels want to say that, then fine. Be careful what you wish for! Don't require physicians to supervise them and be responsible for mid-level outcomes and cover hospitals butts!

Because what we have now is the worst of both worlds for MDs. Midlevels are used by hospitals to cut physician pay, replace physicians and their jobs claiming outcomes are equal, yet have physicians still put their licenses and names on the line to "supervise." How gullible are we?

If mid-level care is equal, just as good as docs and they can replace docs, fine. Then don't ask docs to cosign their liability, outcomes or charts.

And the more docs fight to restrict mid-levels and demean them as "unequal," is the more reason hospitals have to force you all to supervise and be liable for them and protect the hospitals, while they still use mid-levels to replace you and drive down your pay. "After all, doc, you're the one that said mid-levels need supervision!"

Worst of all possible worlds!

Yet everyday, on SDN and elsewhere, you'll hear MDs and DOs fighting to preserve the worst of all worlds for physicians. It's absolutely embarrassing.

"Cut my pay, take my job, make me unemployed. And get me sued, too! But it's all worth it, because I get to rant and say 'you need me and I'm better than you!'"

True, but I get feeling that lots of CMGs actively try to keep doctors from being involved in hospital decision making.
They absolutely do want docs part of the decision making. Because they know we're gullible and will bend to whatever they suggest is best. It's true. Watch every doc group you've ever seen (outside of a few surgeon groups here and there) and they immediately cave, the minute the hospitals suggest docs are doing something in "their own best interest." (Oh, the horror!) The docs cave immediately every time and own the guilt, without question, and without even questioning the hospitals and insurance company that do exactly that, 100% of the time! Yet they let the hospitals greed-on, with impunity. Start watching for this. Once you look for it, you'll see it everywhere.

Solution:

I’ve been saying this for a long time. If an NP or CRNA is doing the same function as me and they are under my supervision, I would put them on a very short leash and limit what I allow them to do. I don’t want to bail out an independent midlevel when they are in over their heads. If the **** hits the fan, everyone will be named in the lawsuit, even if your role was minimal or late in the process. You’re a bigger target than the midlevel for the lawyers. I would very clearly document the patient’s condition and what I do if care is transitioned from the independent midlevel to me.

I’ve been saying this for a long time. If an NP or CRNA is doing the same function as me and they are under my supervision, I would put them on a very short leash and limit what I allow them to do. I don’t want to bail out an independent midlevel when they are in over their heads. If the **** hits the fan, everyone will be named in the lawsuit, even if your role was minimal or late in the process. You’re a bigger target than the midlevel for the lawyers. I would very clearly document the patient’s condition and what I do if care is transitioned from the independent midlevel to me.
Yes. Hospitals have already said mid-levels can do our jobs for cheaper, will hire them to do so, use them to put us out of work and drive down are salaries. It's checkmate, flat line, code blue and *GAME OVER*

Yet physicians line up to say, "I'd be glad to supervise, be liable for your care, take the blame for bad outcomes, enable your cost-cutting racket and help you did my career-grave, too! What's not to like? And by the way, don't forget to never go out on your own and release me from liability. Because you need me!"

I'm not suggesting anyone abandon mid-levels they're currently required to supervise. You're missing the point, completely. I'm saying that on a macro level, we should all be arguing they go on their own and not be tied to physician supervision, at all. 100% independent, no physician supervision or co-sign needed. Let them sink or swim on their own, let patients and the results decide.

Either you're "as good as docs" or not. If the hospitals and mid-levels want to say that, then fine. Be careful what you wish for! Don't require physicians to supervise them and be responsible for mid-level outcomes and cover hospitals butts!

Because what we have now is the worst of both worlds for MDs. Midlevels are used by hospitals to cut physician pay, replace physicians and their jobs claiming outcomes are equal, yet have physicians still put their licenses and names on the line to "supervise." How gullible are we?

If mid-level care is equal, just as good as docs and they can replace docs, fine. Then don't ask docs to cosign their liability, outcomes or charts.

And the more docs fight to restrict mid-levels and demean them as "unequal," is the more reason hospitals have to force you all to supervise and be liable for them and protect the hospitals, while they still use mid-levels to replace you and drive down your pay. "After all, doc, you're the one that said mid-levels need supervision!"

Worst of all possible worlds!

Yet everyday, on SDN and elsewhere, you'll hear MDs and DOs fighting to preserve the worst of all worlds for physicians. It's absolutely embarrassing.

"Cut my pay, take my job, make me unemployed. And get me sued, too! But it's all worth it, because I get to rant and say 'you need me and I'm better than you!'"
This (complete midlevel independence) is probably what it will need to come to if there's any hope of salvaging some of these fields. The only incentive these hospitals will respond to is monetary, i.e. if suddenly they're facing a 5-10x increase in malpractice suits and suddenly losing millions or billions per year that comes directly from their bottom line. As a thought experiment, what do people think would happen if HCA went from a net income of $3.75 billion (HCA in 2020 for anyone wondering) to a drop to say $2 billion -> $1 billion and no C-suite bonuses for 2-3 yrs in a row and people looking at worthless equity options they own. The medical system would be "shocked" at how quickly changes get implemented and the "root cause" of the problem gets sorted out. Corporations can be extremely efficient in changing when they're properly motivated. Most tragic of all is that patients will be the ones to suffer along the way. That still bothers me and I wish I had some idea of how it could be avoided.

• Dislike
Problem is NPs are invading the ICUs and working as “hospitalists” also.

I think ICU is only a few years behind the EM deathspiral.
Hospital medicine will follow

Aye, Im hoping the IcU is spared for a bit where Im at. We just hired some EM CCM guys as a swing shift. The moment they get replaced with midlevels is the moment I know were on our way out.
Just hoping I can make it another 4 years so student loans are wiped out and we are in a better financial position.

Them Ill scrounge for whatever I can get. My hopes for a good future in medicine are gone. Now just hoping things can stay the same for a few more years before getting worse. Sad.

My one (of many) concerns about NPs being set free to be completely independent in the hospital is, there's still a physician somewhere who is approving it. There may not be a supervising physician signing off on every chart or even regularly available for conversations. But there is a medical director or someone else who hired that NP, approved their credentialing, probably engaged in a basic month long onboarding process and signed off that they were "competent" to practice on their own. Then when/if something goes wrong, that will be the physician tied to the lawsuit with claims of negligent credentialing or negligent onboarding, etc etc. I don't think the hospital will ever have a way to just hire NPs, over the objection of all the physicians in that specialty, push the credentialing through themselves, then have the Chief medical officer sign off? Or have some administrator sign off on the clinical capabilities of an NP?

I didn't realize how much NPs have penetrated the ICU/CC. When I was still working in the hospital 2 yrs ago, I never talked to an NP for an ICU admission. Almost every other specialty had an NP covering calls but never ICU.

Just had a relative admitted to the ICU, really odd/complicated course but after looking at the labs knew what was going on. I talked to the ER nurse, told her what I believe was going on, and asked her to relay to the ICU doc my concerns so they can order the test to confirm my suspicions.

I was told the ICU NP has not called back yet but they had an ICU bed ordered. I was thinking, so is an NP supposed to admit and figure out this somewhat unusual case?

Anyhow, 1 hr later, I was told that they ordered the test I requested.

Bottom line is, most CC docs would have had the same idea and ordered the test. I doubt the NP would have thought of the diagnosis thus not ordering the tests.

Crazy world we live in where NPs are the first to evaluated sick and complicated pts.

Reactions: 4 users
I didn't realize how much NPs have penetrated the ICU/CC. When I was still working in the hospital 2 yrs ago, I never talked to an NP for an ICU admission. Almost every other specialty had an NP covering calls but never ICU.

Just had a relative admitted to the ICU, really odd/complicated course but after looking at the labs knew what was going on. I talked to the ER nurse, told her what I believe was going on, and asked her to relay to the ICU doc my concerns so they can order the test to confirm my suspicions.

I was told the ICU NP has not called back yet but they had an ICU bed ordered. I was thinking, so is an NP supposed to admit and figure out this somewhat unusual case?

Bottom line is, most CC docs would have had the same idea and ordered the test. I doubt the NP would have thought of the diagnosis thus not ordering the tests.

Crazy world we live in where NPs are the first to evaluated sick and complicated pts.
Unfortunately, it's pretty common now...

The NPs can be scary at night. They "manage" the patient but really don't do a much diagnosis or treatment. Most of the ones I see here can't even do basic procedures like lines. I don't know how it's appropriate that the new standard-of-care for the sickest patients in the hospital is to not see a critical care doctor for 12 hours or more at a time.

I’m sure this will be controversial (mostly to some of your pocketbooks) but it’s disgusting that FM / IM is allowed in this specialty with BCEM unemployment on the horizon.
I don’t necessarily disagree that FM/IM shouldn’t be working in the ED anymore with IM, but don’t know why you’re aiming your hate at IM/FM. I’m not sure your target audience is here... I don’t think any US MDs applying IM are yearning to do anything more than the month of required EM and eyeball sick patients coming up to the floor in residency. I think the ones working in the ED now were grandfathered in or are working in areas where EM physicians aren’t available. It’s also a better solution than having NPPs.

I also don’t understand the rhetoric. A few years ago everyone was crazy about EM and talking about how EM could do IM/FM with a week’s training, etc and how it wasn’t vice versa. I get that EM physicians are frustrated, but IM/FM didn’t cause this problem.

Last edited:
Hospitals would kill to have a BCEM doc working rather than an IM/FM doc. EM docs just aren't willing to work at these sites or rates are toooooo low.

The unemployed EM docs are not due to lack of jobs, just lack of jobs that they are willing to take.

I have a friend asking me to cover shifts at $325/hr up north that most EM docs will not take.

Hospitals would kill to have a BCEM doc working rather than an IM/FM doc. EM docs just aren't willing to work at these sites or rates are toooooo low.

The unemployed EM docs are not due to lack of jobs, just lack of jobs that they are willing to take.

I have a friend asking me to cover shifts at $325/hr up north that most EM docs will not take.
That rate is hard to find these days.

Crazy world we live in for sure. It’s a mess and it doesn’t look like it’s going to get better any time soon.

I haven't seen anything north of $300/hr in the SE for awhile. We have a TH facility about an hour north of where I'm at that was having trouble covering a 12h shift and offered me $300/hr and I felt like I was back in the golden era and had struck the lottery. How sad is that... I jumped on it. Big smile on my face to cover 12 hours in that sleepy ER. I can remember when that would have been a low rate for emergency coverage with 1-2 days notice.

This place is on some remote place with sick/poor care for pts with crashing pts all over the place without much specialty care that requires almost all admission to be transferred.

He told me he did more intubations in a week than he would do in months.

For $325/hr, I get to travel across the country, drive to some remote place in the middle of no where, dealing with crashing pts without any support. That is a big No Go.

Ill stick with my current gig

This place is on some remote place with sick/poor care for pts with crashing pts all over the place without much specialty care that requires almost all admission to be transferred.

For $325/hr, I get to travel across the country, drive to some remote place in the middle of no where, dealing with crashing pts without any support. That is a big No Go.

Ill stick with my current gig
Sounds like a blast to me. Hit me up

Fine by me, I get paid by the hour and it's not my emergency.

I'm a little light on them at the present, I wouldn't mind a few more intubations.

For $325/hr, I get to travel across the country, drive to some remote place in the middle of no where, dealing with crashing pts without any support.
Sounds like my current job, but with more pay!