1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

IU school of dentistry

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by boilermaker05, Dec 13, 2005.

1. boilermaker05

boilermaker05 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    OK! I have to express my frustration about IUSD

I am in-state, gpa of 3.65, DAT score of 19, published 2 papers and research and whole 9 yards but IU hasn't accepted me. How is that fair or some reason that I am not sure of. However I did get in somewhere out of state.

Please let me know why IU is being weird. So I can calm down!

Someone told me that they want a lot of out of state students because of financial reasons.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. IWuvTeef

IWuvTeef Dentist
    5+ Year Member

Dentist
    They typically accept 70 in-state and 30 out-state. Maybe you didn't have a good interview with them...

I was in your shoes last year. I called Dr. K and he told me I didn't get accepted in Dec. b/c of my science GPA. I made sure I got straight As my senior year. Then I got in.

Moral of the story: if you want to know what's going on with your status, call them and ask to speak to Dr. K.

4. boilermaker05

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I did call them. Dr. K said he couldn't find anything wrong with my stats. he said he was shocked himself. My science GPA is a 3.6 so, I have no clue

5. IWuvTeef

IWuvTeef Dentist
    5+ Year Member

Dentist
    sorry to hear that. as hard as it is to wait, stay optimistic. :oops:

6. aphistis

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Dentist
    It's impossible to say what the reason is, but like IWuvTeef said, it's possible your interview didn't go very well. Congratulations on the out-of-state acceptance, though. Try not to let it bug you, it's just one more wrinkle in the mess that dental school admissions has become. Good luck next year!

7. PERFECT3435

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    stats arent thr only thing they look at. it could have been your statement letter, your recommendation letters, your interview, etc etc.

good luck.

8. dominoes

dominoes Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Don't feel too bad boilermaker05. I got the boot from IU as well. I called today and was told that I wasn't selected. This was surprising to me since I got into Penn and some other schools. I graduated from UC Berkeley this past May and had a fairly decent GPA. Their loss.

9. boilermaker05

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Thanks everyone....it is just hard but I should be thankful I got in somewhere better.