IU vs Pitt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bribri

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I have narrowed my school choices down to IU and pitt. I am instate for IU but absolutely loved Pitt. The difference in cost is almost 30k per year, so I'm torn between the two. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I should add that my parents are paying the first year, so it would be 90k extra.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
30k/yr*4years = 120k, before interest, which accrues daily. Decision shouldn't be that hard. I love Pitt and it was about 120k cheaper than my other option. Would love to have you in our class, but you gotta do what's best for you.

Reactions: 1 users
Go with your LOVE.
You have your life to make money and pay back loans...that's life.
You only have 4 years to enjoy dental school :)
Ultimately the choice is yours. GOOD LUCK.

I too was deciding between my in-state school (IU) and an out of state school, which was clearly more expensive. I liked IU, but I LOVED the OOS school. So I went with what I wanted :).

Members don't see this ad :)
You could buy an Audi R8 with that savings...

Reactions: 2 users
One of the things about Pitt's financial budget that I noticed is that they set aside $4,500 a year for insurance. At the interview, they said if you stay with your parent's insurance, you don't have to worry about buying your own. That's ~$20k worth of savings over four years. Not much when you're talking about an additional $30k a year, but it's something to think about. I passed up my IS school for Pitt, but it was only $45kish more overall.

One of the things about Pitt's financial budget that I noticed is that they set aside $4,500 a year for insurance. At the interview, they said if you stay with your parent's insurance, you don't have to worry about buying your own. That's ~$20k worth of savings over four years. Not much when you're talking about an additional $30k a year, but it's something to think about. I passed up my IS school for Pitt, but it was only $45kish more overall.
That's because your IS school is overrun with gigantic lizards.

Reactions: 1 user