IU Waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bullfan16

Certifiable Quad Streaker
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone officially ranked on IU's waitlist?

IWuvTeeth...I noticed you are #3...congrats...you should get in on 2/15

demonicr....you have a pretty good chance

My question is it seems as if 18 spots are open out of 30 (12 put down their deposit money)...so with the additional acceptances sent out on 1/31 how many rounds do you think it will take to get through 20 waitlisted applicants (I am below 20 but not too far off)? Each "round" they send out enough to attempt to fill the class and this occurs every two weeks. The next round will be on 2/15 and then on 3/1 or 3/2 (my best guess) and so on. Dr. K emailed me and said 10 spots were sent out on 1/31 and emailed demonicr that 14 went out...in either case how many of those spots (guess if you can) do you think waitlisted applicants will actually take?

Perfect...I know I know...its just a matter of time...but I need some reassurance here.

Members don't see this ad.

i am going crazy waiting! i hope people don't put money down so us three can get in! i want to go there so much! :scared:

well iwuvteef has her spot pretty much gaurantee. i hope bullfan and i get a spot also. anyone else on the waitlist who hear anything different than what bullfan as posted above, can you please post what you have heard? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am about to notify them that I will not be attending. So that is one more spot available :).

iwuvteef i guess u number 2 now. :D

i know being on the waitlist makes you nervous. however, i think that everyone of you are in good shape as far as getting in. i know you have heard from many people by now how IUSD's waitlist goes very fast and very deep. if you think about how they have gone all the way to number 40+ on their out of state last the last few cycles, you should feel pretty good about your chances. i am positive that you will all be happy in 2 weeks. good luck and cant wait to see you all in school in the fall.

demonicr said:
iwuvteef i guess u number 2 now. :D

Err...I forgot to mention I am instate. I think they have 2 waiting lists, one for out of state and one for instate. So yeah. :rolleyes:

PERFECT3435 said:
i know being on the waitlist makes you nervous. however, i think that everyone of you are in good shape as far as getting in. i know you have heard from many people by now how IUSD's waitlist goes very fast and very deep. if you think about how they have gone all the way to number 40+ on their out of state last the last few cycles, you should feel pretty good about your chances. i am positive that you will all be happy in 2 weeks. good luck and cant wait to see you all in school in the fall.

You have indicated that your debt will be $75K at the end of Ist year...similar to NYU students...I think your tution is about $40 K too...not much less than NYU's $ 45K. Dental schools are becoming too expensive .

Dr Hope said:
You have indicated that your debt will be $75K at the end of Ist year...similar to NYU students...I think your tution is about $40 K too...not much less than NYU's $ 45K. Dental schools are becoming too expensive .

my expenses at IUSD for the 1st year is $59 000 (tuition+living)as an out of state but i also carry some debt from under grad and thats what will make it to 75k. i think that the cost would be around 50k for 2nd yr, 50 for 3rd, and 45 for 4th. those are estimates as i do not recall the exact amount. that comes to be around 200k.

if i am not mistaken, NYU cost more than 300k.

hey guys i was also placed on the iu waitlist. i keep analyzing what must happen until my number comes up... im in the 20's as well on the waitlist. i guess i have to be patient. oh well hope all of us here will get in and we will all rock IU!
BEST OF LUCK GUYS!!!!

IWuvTeef said:
i am going crazy waiting! i hope people don't put money down so us three can get in! i want to go there so much! :scared:

Why do you want to go to Indiana so bad? During my interview, the dental student told me that the PBL was useless (and many others have told me this as well).

I'm not worried about IUSD's PBL. Students there told me it pays off when you start doing clinics. They hated PBL during the 1st 2 years, but they said that when they got to clinics and had to come up with treatment plans for patients, it made the process easier. Plus, it will be a good way to get to know classmates (maybe even start a study group). To each his own... I look forward to perhaps improving my diagnosis skills.

I had a positive experience during my interview. I felt comfortable with the students and faculty that I met there. Indianapolis seems like a nice town to live in. Can't beat the cheap living. :)

Pianoboe...I dont get it...you question why she (I also want to go there very much) wants to go there so desperately and then in your signature it says you are probably going to end up at IUSD anyway. What gives? I think IU is in a great location (seeing that I am from Chicago), I went to IUB so I know the ins and outs of the state of Indiana (in terms of driving, weather, etc), and the school boasts an outstanding reputation for churning out good general dentists. A 3rd year I talked to emphasized that while PBL sucks initially you get used to it...I know for a fact every school has something that a lot of students have to put up with but wish they didnt (its called professional school...lots of politics and BS...but in the end who cares...you are going to get your DDS). He also said that you cant beat the clinical experience you get and the tremendous hand skills you gain (although I am sure most schools can offer you this opportunity). To me its about being a competent, mature person who has good hand skills....using your hands is the bread and butter of dentistry forget about all of this technology (digital x rays, intraoral cameras, 90,000 dollar cerec machines...its all garbage). Anyway thats my $.02. I would be extremely happy if I came off the waitlist.

Pianoboe01 said:
Why do you want to go to Indiana so bad? During my interview, the dental student told me that the PBL was useless (and many others have told me this as well).

maybe because he is a smart person who doesnt let one thing (ie PBL) stop him from a good school.

Bullfan16 said:
Pianoboe...I dont get it...you question why she (I also want to go there very much) wants to go there so desperately and then in your signature it says you are probably going to end up at IUSD anyway. What gives? I think IU is in a great location (seeing that I am from Chicago), I went to IUB so I know the ins and outs of the state of Indiana (in terms of driving, weather, etc), and the school boasts an outstanding reputation for churning out good general dentists. A 3rd year I talked to emphasized that while PBL sucks initially you get used to it...I know for a fact every school has something that a lot of students have to put up with but wish they didnt (its called professional school...lots of politics and BS...but in the end who cares...you are going to get your DDS). He also said that you cant beat the clinical experience you get and the tremendous hand skills you gain (although I am sure most schools can offer you this opportunity). To me its about being a competent, mature person who has good hand skills....using your hands is the bread and butter of dentistry forget about all of this technology (digital x rays, intraoral cameras, 90,000 dollar cerec machines...its all garbage). Anyway thats my $.02. I would be extremely happy if I came off the waitlist.

True, I probably will end up at IUSD (unless I decide on med school instead -- and don't gripe at me about this, I'm sure there are plenty of people who considered both dentistry and medicine at the same time and applied to both) since it is my state school and my sister who lives in Indy already said I could live with her for free. But, I was mainly just curious for other people's reasons for liking the school so much, since I wasn't impressed with the program at interview day.

Pianoboe01 said:
True, I probably will end up at IUSD (unless I decide on med school instead -- and don't gripe at me about this, I'm sure there are plenty of people who considered both dentistry and medicine at the same time and applied to both) since it is my state school and my sister who lives in Indy already said I could live with her for free. But, I was mainly just curious for other people's reasons for liking the school so much, since I wasn't impressed with the program at interview day.

Besides financial issues, I don't understand why you would want to go to a school with a program that doesn't impress you. :confused:

Pianoboe01 said:

Do your thing man ;), I think it's pretty cool that you applied to both, the more options the better I suppose. Don't worry about all the haters. Choose wisely though, I have talked to many doctors especially GP's who told me if they could do it all over again they would go to dental school. Good luck with your choice.

Pianoboe01 said:
Holy leaps to conclusion, Batman! That must mean the entire curriculum is worthless!

Seriously, though--PBL is kinda lame, but you get used to the process, and believe me when I say it's no more irritating than the rest of dental school. Otherwise, other than a professor or two that really got on my nerves, I don't have much to say against IUSD. And, as other people have mentioned, Indy is a great place to live.

The list is moving folks!

good luck :thumbup: :D