IUP PsyD Reputation?

Started by psychealth
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

psychealth

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,

This was my first application cycle and I only applied to 4 programs (3 PhDs, 1 PsyD). I was admitted to Indiana University of Pennsylvania (IUP) for their PsyD program and waitlisted at 1 fully funded PhD. I don't have high hopes for getting off the waitlist, so I have to decide whether to attend IUP or work at another lab then re-apply.

It has always been a goal of mine to attend a fully funded clinical psych PhD, but after a rough two years as lab manager in a toxic work environment that didn't provide me the professional growth, research skills, or pubs/posters that I needed to be competitive, I feel really behind in terms of standing out to PhD programs. The thought of taking another year or two to work in a lab and potentially still not get any PhD offers in a future cycle really stresses me out. I applied to IUP because of their small-ish cohort sizes plus they've been known to offer a decent amount of funding to their students. Unfortunately, they notified us this year that they're unable to offer a multi-year contract for funding to the incoming cohort (although they "anticipate continuing" to provide funding for subsequent years as they have in the past).

Funding aside, I am also curious to hear what the reputation of this program is and whether there are any red flags I am not aware of. If you are a current student at IUP, I would really appreciate it if you could share your experience with this program and the quality of their training as well. The last (maybe slightly less) important thing I am worried about is the location. It's a rural white conservative town and I just wonder what that could mean for me as a POC clinician in-training. I just wonder what opportunities I could be missing out on in my training/education by being in an area like that (if that's even a worthy concern)?

Thanks to anyone in advance that reads this and takes the time to respond!
 
I'll start with some validation: I was in almost exactly the position you're in now about 11 years ago and it was stressful. I applied to all funded PhDs plus IUP and only got into IUP. I posted about it here, and received a DM from a recent grad who disclosed some internal issues at the program and gently suggested that I not go there. I had my own reservations, so this was enough to push me over the edge into declining IUP. I then ended up getting a different RA job and reapplied to programs 2 years later and got into a funded PhD. In retrospect, I'm very glad that I waited the extra 2 years and didn't go to IUP. While I'm not suggesting you do the same, there's my anecdotal experience!
 
Last edited: