You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
I've checked the AMCAS instructions..but no answer... on EC not yet started
Started by ocwaveoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
This is actually a good question... I have something VERY important coming up at the end of June. I am thinking that I just wait until right before I submit to add it to my list of ECs, but if anyone has any way around this PLEASE LET US KNOW!
I would save forthcoming experiences for secondary essays.
Partly because the EC section is there to give a bigger picture of who you are as of this moment.
However, if you've had previous teaching experience, you can add one sentence to that particular EC stating that you'll be teaching in a different capacity in the fall.
Partly because the EC section is there to give a bigger picture of who you are as of this moment.
However, if you've had previous teaching experience, you can add one sentence to that particular EC stating that you'll be teaching in a different capacity in the fall.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When I applied, I had a significant forthcoming EC and no where to put it. So, I mentioned it in my personal statement like what I'm looking forward to in that EC and the challenges it posed. Moreover, what I hoped to get out of it, in terms of personal growth.
Good idea - I'll consider this. Thanks!When I applied, I had a significant forthcoming EC and no where to put it. So, I mentioned it in my personal statement like what I'm looking forward to in that EC and the challenges it posed. Moreover, what I hoped to get out of it, in terms of personal growth.
This is actually a good question... I have something VERY important coming up at the end of June. I am thinking that I just wait until right before I submit to add it to my list of ECs, but if anyone has any way around this PLEASE LET US KNOW!
Since AMCAS just has you give the month start date of your activities, you can include something that begins at the end of June in the AMCAS you submit at the beginning of June. After all, the activity is, in fact, occuring in June. 🙂
I wouldn't put it. Its not done yet. Leave it to discuss in secondary essays and update letters. I've had two really major ones that occured while applying and I simply talked about them in secondary essays and interviews.
I wouldn't put in any future activities because you don't know what could happen between the time you submit and the time your EC happens. Nothing in the future is set in stone, so best to leave it and then mention it on secondaries, or send the schools an update letter later on.
Its kind of a gray area. When I was applying back in the day (AMCAS 2007, lol), I was going to be a lab instructor for the cadaver lab starting my senior year, but I didn't want to not list it, so here is how I phrased my EC entry (I don't really recall my interviewers even asking about it):Hello,
Starting in the fall semester, I'll be teaching a chemistry lab section.
Am I allowed to enter things which hasn't started yet?
The Biology department of Oakwood College has 4 cadavers which are used to teach students gross anatomy in preparation for medical school. Since most students that take this class are seniors, the teacher rarely has lab instructors. This past school year, I along with 3 other juniors were given the opportunity to take the Gross Anatomy class, so that we could be lab instructors our senior year. As lab instructors we have virtual autonomy in the lab, and we work in setting quizzes, grading dissections, filling out pathology reports, setting up cadaver practicums, and helping students identify structures on the cadavers during open lab. At the end of my junior year I had an early start as a lab instructor when I was given the opportunity to guide a group of students from the Madison School of Massage through the cadaver, pointing out key muscles treated in their field.
Some things mentioned actually happened my junior year, but most things mentioned were things that I "knew" I was going to be doing.
When I applied, I had a significant forthcoming EC and no where to put it. So, I mentioned it in my personal statement like what I'm looking forward to in that EC and the challenges it posed. Moreover, what I hoped to get out of it, in terms of personal growth.
I did something similar. I put in my EC section and in my personal statement, but it was something I had already done the past summer too (but I listed them separately). You just specify the dates and they will see that it hasn't happened yet. I think it is important to show what you are doing in the summer.
Its kind of a gray area. When I was applying back in the day (AMCAS 2007, lol), I was going to be a lab instructor for the cadaver lab starting my senior year, but I didn't want to not list it, so here is how I phrased my EC entry (I don't really recall my interviewers even asking about it)...
Back to my original question: how did you list it (date wise) if you hadn't even started it yet?😕
In cases like these you should make that the THE ONLY THING that the medical schools are waiting for to make your application complete is your MCAT score. This means that:I guess I have a similar question regarding the MCAT questions on the AMCAS. How will applicants be affected if they've already submitted their AMCAS in June with a July MCAT date and decide to delay it to August? Thanks 🙂
1) you send in all your secondaries by July (with fees paid)
2) Mail ALL of your LORs in to all your prospective schools by July
Most schools will hold your application until your MCAT score comes in, but if you've done your part and that is all they are waiting for, then you will be fine.
Back to my original question: how did you list it (date wise) if you hadn't even started it yet?😕
I listed the start date as May 2006 (since we had to had a mini orientation from the previous lab instructors before school ended). And I didn't list an end date for some reason. Either way, I was never really asked about this EC so I don't think it is too important in terms of the exact date you put. If you 100% technically dont' start until your senior year starts, then just list it as that.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 7
- Views
- 354
- Replies
- 18
- Views
- 2K