I've done my research and questions still abound!

Emerica

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, so I'm currently a high school senior in Tampa, Fl. I will be graduating valedictorian with a huge amount of AP credit towards undergraduate curriculum (1.5 years+). I definitely want to stay in Florida so that I can take advantage of a scholarship program that pays close to all of the tuition at a Florida public university. Also, I am certain I want to be a physician, possibly a surgeon. So here are my options:

University of Florida - I would complete an undergraduate education that would encompass my "pre-med" education and then apply to medical schools all over the nation. UF is considered a "public ivy" and is one of the top schools in the southeast. However, there will be considerable cost: I would have to take out student loans in order to pay for room and board which would probably be around $7K+/year. And, I would be applying to medical schools in the traditional fashion.

University of South Florida - I would be in the honors program and would apply for their 7-year BS/MD program in my sophomore year and follow the biomedical sciences major. After completing three years of undergrad, I will be enrolled in the USF medical school. USF isn't as prestigious as UF, but they are offering $5K+/year in scholarship money that can be converted to cash if I stay home and commute to school.

Please offer your opinions or even an alternate method to achieve my ultimate goal of becoming a doctor.

Much appreciated,
Travis

Members don't see this ad.

UF has their own BS/MD where you apply in your sophomore year, too.

http://jhmp.sites.medinfo.ufl.edu/

IMO I'd go to UF. 7k/yr for R&B isn't THAT bad. Looking at your situation it looks like they both offer something similar but UF is slightly more expensive. I'd say go with UF for the real college life (commuting from home sucks) and better rep.

If you work summers and do work study you can easily make up most if not all of the 7K; Work study is 2K per semester times 2 semesters, if you work summer you can easily make the extra 3k during the summer even at minimum wage. Even if you have to take 28K out it in loans, you won't be that deep in the hole. There is a UF BS/MD as was previously pointed out. The ranking here amongst publics is UF>FSU>UCF>USF>FIU>FAU>UNF>UWF also apply to the two privates here in the Miami metro Nova Southeastern for the BS/DO and the UM BS/MD. NSU is very generous most people in the program receive at least 1/2 tuition and some get up to beyond the cost of attendance. I can't speak for UM. NSU is a great school with small classes, a great dual program (there also is Dental, PA, JD etc.) which perennially has the best students in the university, a top-flight honors program, great research and a great sense of community. So consider NSU.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any of those schools will give you a fine education. As far as I'm aware, UF is the best school of the lot, but go where you'll be happiest. Med school typically don't care where you went to undergrad, so choose a school you can get a high GPA at without too much trouble. $7000 per year for housing is pretty expensive, but unfortunately, it's about par these days. Don't worry about the loans issue, though. If it's med school you want, you'll be up to your eyeballs in debt soon enough. Make sure you're comfortable in the mean time.

Thanks for all the great input so far but if I do not get into the UF BS/MD seeing as there are only 13 spots, is it worth giving up the greater security of USF's 7-year BS/MD? Or is the medical school application process really not that bad?

Also, where do you guys think University of Miami stands against USF and UF?

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great input so far but if I do not get into the UF BS/MD seeing as there are only 13 spots, is it worth giving up the greater security of USF's 7-year BS/MD? Or is the medical school application process really not that bad?

Also, where do you guys think University of Miami stands against USF and UF?

Neither UF's or USF's BS/MD program is a cakewalk. Both require maintenance of a 3.7 gpa in pre-reqs, and in USF's case, also a 30 MCAT. Have you gotten into USF's program? Based on your original post it seems you haven't. USF's program probably accepts a similar number to UF for their program anyway.

I think UMiami is on par with UF and IMO it's an up-and-coming school. It's private, so it may be costly, but they are good with merit aid if your stats are high. Their highest automatic merit scholarship is 24k/yr which someone would get with around a 1500+/1600 SAT and top 10% hs rank.

OP, I am also a high school senior in Tampa, and I was also accepted into the honors program at USF. I do plan on going there because I received significant financial aid and it's close to home. Those two factors were the main things I considered, but it's up to you. Just go to any university that you feel comfortable. As long as you work hard in college you'll be fine.

Also, what high school do you go to? It's cool that you're also from Tampa :)

Just putting this in, I thought the Valedictorian got a full scholarship. If not, that really sucks.

I'd say follow the $$ for undergrad unless you think you will be unhappy at that school. Prestige of undergrad isn't a big enough factor to justify any extra debt if it can be avoided. When you're getting to the end of medschool and opening up your 6 figure debt statements you'll thank yourself for that 40-50k savings. I've followed the scholarship $$ for undergrad and medschool and have zero regrets.

When it comes to education, do not ever bargain with price.

Go with the most expensive one you can get into.

When it comes to education, do not ever bargain with price.

Go with the most expensive one you can get into.

More expensive =/= better school.

More expensive does not equal better school, but in Fl. all schools are relatively cheap compared to schools like BU and WashU and Duke and other schools that cost real money or even compared to UMiami.
I'm not really sure what this statement has to do with the topic...or with itself, for that matter. The two halves don't make a whole thought.

Hell cost of living in Fl. is 100s of times cheaper then in places like Boston and Miami.
Did Miami secede from the state or something?

OP, listen to gujudoc, who has actual experience with the schools you're deciding between.

Also, when I stated that more expensive =/= better school, I was talking about colleges in general, which is true. It also sounds like Rest was talking about all colleges instead of FL schools which was what I was responding to.

For example, Rice is known to have cheaper tuition than many private schools, and it is an excellent university. There are a lot of colleges that are more expensive than Rice but that doesn't mean they are better (I'm not going to pick on any one school but I'm sure you can think of examples). You can't measure the quality of a school by the tuition they charge.

Members don't see this ad :)
What??? Obviously not, but Umiami is the most expensive school in Florida because it is a private school and since Miami like Boston or NYC is a real city and not small city like tampa, cost of living is not cheap. 1400 for a 1 bedroom apartment vs. 700 per month for sometimes a 2 bedroom apartment in places like tampa or 400 per month for a fully furnished room in a college style apartment where you rent for the room and share the living space with the others.
I was being wry. You said living in Florida was cheaper than living in Miaimi. Since Miami is in Florida...well, you do the math.

The rest of your post is just mind-boggling, honestly. Let's just say that I understood what your argument was before I last posted and agree with it.

Sorry. I think i didn't separate my points out to make my point clear. I should have brought up the separation of miami outside of the rest of the Fl. schools by bringing up that is the only place where there is ultra expense due to city and private school if you go to Umiami rather then FIU. FIU now has a med school as well along with FAU boca's UMiami med. So I suppose if you went the public school route there it would be different. But I wouldn't consider those really strong ugrads in Fl. though they have the potential to move forward and for premedical students to be attracted to them now that they have medical schools affiliated or partially affiliated with them.

FAU and UMiami are in the process of cutting their ties, if I'm not mistaken.

Alright, thanks a lot for all of your input, especially gujudoc. I just received a scholarship from Loyola New Orleans full tuition and room and board, should I consider this school?

WOW!!! News to me! Thanks for the link. I had asked about this a year ago i think on some Fl. thread about when and if this would happen. I figured it would happen sooner or later, just didn't know when. It makes so much more sense for this to happen as it is already on FAU's campus and admissions was already partly separate. Now it can become its own entity.

There was a thread on SDN about it a few weeks ago as well. Good step for FAU.

FAU decided to cancel ties with UMiami to start their own medical school. This happened about 1-2 weeks ago.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/pending-state-approval-fau-to-offer-own-medical-187709.html

From the onset it was only a matter of time before FAU became a separate program.

The only question I have is LCME accreditation for a totally separate program. They were a part of UM in a UM reaccreditation visit 1-2 years ago. I am not sure what their status would be with the LCME but my feeling would be that they will have to apply to the LCME to become a separate school. IF SO, then they will be a part of UM for at least another year????? Strangely there is nothing out of UM on this? Hmmmmmm

You should visit a few of your top choices to see if there is a "fit". You'll want to feel comfortable where you go, so make sure to at least visit a few campuses. As for "Public Ivy" (??), I'm not sure where that came from, but UF offers a great education. I think one of the drawbacks of Gainesville is that the social scene isn't as diverse as S. FL, but that's more of a culture critique.

Alright, thanks a lot for all of your input, especially gujudoc. I just received a scholarship from Loyola New Orleans full tuition and room and board, should I consider this school?

Yes, absolutely. Go check it out and see if you like it. Not having undergrad debt is a very great thing.

I've got some updates. UM is offering $20k/year and I was accepted to University of Pittsburgh, which sounds like a really good school based on their rank, endowment, etc. What do you guys think of Pitt for premed?

Also, I know I have to decide which college I'm going to, but I really need help determining the impact student loan debt will have on my future. In a perfect world I would simply go to the school I want to go to, but I feel as though I also have to be cognizant of the debt I will be incurring. FAFSA will give me nothing because of my parents' income, however, my parents' income cannot cover my college costs. So, I would like to hear from people that have dealt with student-loan debt because some of the things I'm hearing and reading leave me anxious and discouraged.

Thanks to all in advance for their advice and opinions.

I've got some updates. UM is offering $20k/year and I was accepted to University of Pittsburgh, which sounds like a really good school based on their rank, endowment, etc. What do you guys think of Pitt for premed?

Also, I know I have to decide which college I'm going to, but I really need help determining the impact student loan debt will have on my future. In a perfect world I would simply go to the school I want to go to, but I feel as though I also have to be cognizant of the debt I will be incurring. FAFSA will give me nothing because of my parents' income, however, my parents' income cannot cover my college costs. So, I would like to hear from people that have dealt with student-loan debt because some of the things I'm hearing and reading leave me anxious and discouraged.

Thanks to all in advance for their advice and opinions.

I was accepted to UM with a similar scholarship and now attend Pitt. Did Pitt give you any scholarship money? The school has been notable for its generous full-tuition scholarships to top OOS students. Even with full tuition, CoA with room and board amounts to maybe around 10k/yr.

I was accepted to UM with a similar scholarship and now attend Pitt. Did Pitt give you any scholarship money? The school has been notable for its generous full-tuition scholarships to top OOS students. Even with full tuition, CoA with room and board amounts to maybe around 10k/yr.

I just received the acceptance letter from Pitt but haven't received any notification about scholarships, so we'll see. I'm valedictorian but my SAT scores aren't that great (2010 cum, 1320 M&R). I'll have to see what they offer because OOS cost is around 30K/year total.

I just received the acceptance letter from Pitt but haven't received any notification about scholarships, so we'll see. I'm valedictorian but my SAT scores aren't that great (2010 cum, 1320 M&R). I'll have to see what they offer because OOS cost is around 30K/year total.

If you've just received the acceptance letter, they probably won't give you full-tuition. Scholarships are given out on a rolling basis, so it's first-come, first-served. Getting an acceptance letter now is very late in the game considering Pitt first starts accepting people in October. Your SAT probably isn't high enough either, because it usually starts at around 1450 M+CR for full tuition. The next biggest scholarship is 10k/yr. If you don't get any merit money from Pitt, I wouldn't recommend going to Pitt over somewhere like UF where your CoA would be 7k/yr.

Yeah if you don't get scholarship from Pitt OP, then I would either take the scholarship to Miami if the difference isn't too much or attend UF. That's the two better programs for premeds in Fl.

UM's scholarship would only cover a portion of tuition, which is probably around 40k/yr without R&B. That's if you don't get any FA though. I ruled it out in hs once I did the math.

Not true.

The best med schools in Mexico are actually the cheapest ones. Umm... Anyone wish to study med school in the best university in the country (heck, the BEST med school taught in the spanish language in the planet) for uhh... Free?

It's a shame I didn't go to a public high school (but I wasn't interested in med school to begin with until in the last minute so ha ha to me), everyone that got into the UNAM all commented how insanely easy it was for them to get in and everyone knows UNAM is the best of the best. Everyone that went private wishes they had gone to the UNAM or they are probably still in denial.

Note of truth: Go to the school you will be the happiest. Being the bottom end of the medical food chain (in your case Pre-med if Pre-med even counts being on the chain) and have your superiors treat you like dirt because they can isn't nice, but going to a school you actually enjoy will make things nicer. i myself didn't like the environment of my med school. Too preppy for my taste.

No wonder I'm so damn happy working as a village doctor in the boonies in the middle of nowhere! :cool:

Um, "=/=" means "does not equal", so you just agreed with me.

Just found out that I got a scholarship for full tuition to Pitt! So out of the schools in this thread is Pitt the best for premed?

Just found out that I got a scholarship for full tuition to Pitt! So out of the schools in this thread is Pitt the best for premed?

Hm, that's odd. Your stats aren't what usually get full tuition. How did you find out? The scholarship committee meets after you're admitted and you get a separate letter about the scholarship a couple weeks after the acceptance letter.

I can't compare Pitt and UF, because I know very little about UF, but you can't really go wrong with picking Pitt for pre-med. We have UPMC on campus which is considered one of the best hospital systems in the country, and we have some pretty good departments in philosophy and the sciences. Pitt has an urban campus in the Oakland neighborhood of Pittsburgh. As for weather, it's pretty cold here.

If you have any questions about Pitt, I've answered a lot of Qs on CollegeConfidential about the school under the same username there. You might want to check that site out for school-specific things.

Last edited:
Full scholarship is best regardless cuz that means cheapest option. So if you can handle living away from home for 4 years I'd go. That's better then the deal at UF or UM.

That said, all 3 schools are both great schools on the medical and premedical forefront. I'm sure Schritzo will agree with me on this. I know the other 2 are really reputable in getting people into medical school if you work hard and have high numbers of premeds. But I'm sure Pitt is an awesome school and worth it. I know a couple of friends in years past interviewed for med school and loved the school as a medical school. I'm sure going there will give you opportunity to get to know people at their med school and maybe do research and volunteering there, etc. But so would UF and UMiami which both have medical schools.

But the full scholarship seems like a go ahead in that being the best option. Schritzo, I believe you said you go to Pitt if I didn't read wrong. What's your thoughts?

He didn't get full scholarship, only full tuition. A full ride is either the Chancellor's, which ~15 entering freshman get every year, or one of the minority scholarships. The OP applied a little too late to get a Chancellor's app invite. UF for the OP still has a cheaper CoA. I said before that CoA for Pitt with full tuition is about ~10k/yr, while UF would be ~7k/yr for the OP.

I received a letter from the "Scholarship Selection Committee" telling me I received the "Honors Challenge Full Tuition" scholarship. The letter said that I received the scholarship because of "the great promise of [my] academic potential, as well as the outstanding achievements of [my] scholastic record thus far." This is probably because my grades are extremely competitive while my test scores aren't so much. I am also surprised I received a scholarship because I applied WAY after Jan. 15, sometime in late Feb.

And actually I miscalculated my COA for UF, it will also be around 10k/year (R&B + misc exp, tuition is paid for by Bright Futures). I'm really leaning towards Pittsburgh but since there are a lot of premeds there will that decrease my chances of going to a good medical school due to the competition of applicants coming from the same school as me?

Last edited:
I received a letter from the "Scholarship Selection Committee" telling me I received the "Honors Challenge Full Tuition" scholarship. The letter said that I received the scholarship because of "the great promise of [my] academic potential, as well as the outstanding achievements of [my] scholastic record thus far." This is probably because my grades are extremely competitive while my test scores aren't so much. I am also surprised I received a scholarship because I applied WAY after Jan. 15, sometime in late Feb.

And actually I miscalculated my COA for UF, it will also be around 10k/year (R&B + misc exp, tuition is paid for by Bright Futures). I'm really leaning towards Pittsburgh but since there are a lot of premeds there will that decrease my chances of going to a good medical school due to the competition of applicants coming from the same school as me?

Well, there are probably a lot of premeds at UF too. Keep in mind though, if you are from Florida you would need to travel a lot to get home and back since Pitt is in PA. Pitt still draws the overwhelming majority of its undergrads from Pennsylvania and neighboring states. I think I've met a few people from faraway states like California and I'm not sure how they manage. I took a plane to get to UM for its BS/MD interview, and it's not something I'd want to do all the time.

I think a visit is in order. It seems like you are leaning towards Pitt because you perceive it to be somewhat more prestigious than UF, which isn't all that great of a reason. Come visit, and if you can see yourself here more than at UF then maybe it's the school to attend.

Last edited:
Well, there are probably a lot of premeds at UF too. Keep in mind though, if you are from Florida you would need to travel a lot to get home and back since Pitt is in PA. Pitt still draws the overwhelming majority of its undergrads from Pennsylvania and neighboring states. I think I've met a few people from faraway states like California and I'm not sure how they manage. I took a plane to get to UM for its BS/MD interview, and it's not something I'd want to do all the time.

I think a visit is in order. It seems like you are leaning towards Pitt because you perceive it to be somewhat more prestigious than UF, which isn't all that great of a reason. Come visit, and if you can see yourself here more than at UF then maybe it's the school to attend.

Yes, I am planning to visit UPitt soon. I've already visited Gainesville and University of Florida multiple times and I'm unimpressed. However, the appeal of a new city at a University that excels in my chosen field draws me to UPitt. It's not because UPitt is more prestigious, because that can be argued, it's just that Gainseville and UF seem boring to me.

Where do you want to go? Not thinking of money or prestige....where do you think you'll be the happiest?
You need to have fun and have something in your life other than medicine...you have plenty of years ahead to have nothing else in your life. Go somewhere you will have a good time and will still give you a good education.
I had a BLAST in college! Don't regret your college years...they should be the best of your life.

Alright, so I'm almost done deciding on my undergraduate institution but I still need some reassurance that I'm making the right decision. UF offered me $3K/year, they just notified me of this yesterday... I know, this late in the game! So that makes UF about -$5K/year, while Pitt will be about -$9K/year. I visited Pitt and I really like the campus and the way everything is set up (urban setting) and I do not mind the distance from home (Tampa, FL) at all. What draws me towards Pitt is the accessibility of internships and undergraduate research with UPMC and a great medical school right on campus. I realize the ultimate decision is up to me and where I feel most comfortable, but do you think that there will, in fact, be more opportunities at Pitt than UF?

I also visited Loyola University New Orleans (private school) and I really LOVE the environment of that place and their scholarship offer makes my cost about -$6/year (even though their COA is $44K!). Also, the smaller class sizes of that school draws me towards it (I would really get to know my professors), but I feel as though I would possibly be limiting myself in research/internship opportunities; however, the professors assured me that undergraduate research opps are readily available. If I was deciding on a school solely on the "feel" of the campus and the environment Loyola would be my pick.

So here I am again, constantly questioning myself. I'm leaning towards Pitt but I want to make sure that it's the right place for me, I like the city of NO better than Pittsburgh but I can trade that for greater opportunities at Pitt. I know I've said I hate Gville, but it's really not all that bad and if the opportunities are there then that's a plus; and it is extremely affordable because it's in-state.

Considering all of this, please voice your opinions on what YOU would do. I'm really excited for college and I want to make sure all the opportunities are there for me to take advantage of because I am extremely interested in doing research and internships as soon as I can as an undergraduate.

Oh yeah, and I'm planning to do a double-major in Psychology and Biochemistry.

Thanks for all of the advice up until now and thank you all in advance for any advice, getting it from people who have been through this is great and I appreciate it.

Travis

yeah but northern people's definition of Fl. is not middle of nowhere but Miami or Orlando. Trust me I live in the NE now in Boston, and that seems to be the only two things people associate with Fl. they think its all the same. it isn't nor is the temperatures all the same as Miami everywhere in Fl. It doesn't snow in Fl. for the most part. This year there was a little due to the extreme weathers. however, it still can get up to the 20s and 30s in Fl. pretty easily when it does so in the north. it is not always 50s and 60s and 70s unless you are in Miami.
I lived in Ft. Lauderdale for 5+ years, and any time it fell <65 most people would stay inside. If I went back to FL I wouldn't live anywhere north of Palm Beach County....too cold.

Honestly I feel like in either case even though there is still some money to pay per year regardless of UF or UPitt or barely anything at Loyola, in the great scheme of things I don't think money is the issue in either of the cases unless you are severely disadvantaged and have no money to spare the difference out of pocket. I know for me and most I know that difference is enough to be able to skip out on loans so that takes the financial factor out of it and I would now decide based on the following:

1. Where you feel most comfortable at that you will be happy enough that you can do well. i.e. if being away from affects your psyche, might not be a good idea. but if you don't mind distance and you think being in rural Gville sucks, stay away from rural Gville and go to pitt or loyola.

BTW if Loyola is in Nola do they not have opportunities to do research and volunteering with Tulane University or LSU Nola campus?

2. Where you think you will benefit from academically the most in terms of whether one environment is ultra competitive vs. being more supportive and students helping each other vs. being more cutthroat.

3. What kind of opportunities in education and research and what not you will get.

I feel like in terms of research opportunities, clinical opportunities, teaching opportunities, UF and Upitt are equal and with Loyola you might get opportunities if you find them through the neighboring medical schools. However, I do agree that UF is boring in terms of their rural setting if you are like me and like to know there is more to the town then the university. Granted that they do have a kickass football team. :D :D

But in terms of education I know both UF and Upitt will have equal opportunities. So it would come down to wanting to be in a city vs. rural Gville and whether I'd be happy away from home or depressed by being too far away from home and hating life cuz I'm in the dead cold of Pennsylvania vs. being ok with seasonal changes and snowy winters.

I do hear that Pitt is a good city to be in with a lot of culture and diversity. And I've heard the medical school at their university is one of the most phenomenal. Friends who interviewed there in the past were waitlisted but much impressed by their medical center.

I feel like in terms of getting into med school, UF and UPitt will both get you in. People who come from those universities are highly qualified and prepared vs. some other universities like those mentioned at the beginning way back when this thread started. So you just need to think about those other factors and think about where you will be happier and able to be happy enough that your emotions don't affect school, and what your vibe was in terms of gunners vs. more cooperative student body that you felt you fit in with.

Good luck with everything and congrats on your successes thus far.

Thanks a lot Gujudoc! Loyola insisted that they have opportunities and easy access to those opportunities (this was coming from the professors themselves) and Tulane is right next door so Loyola students are allowed to use Tulane's library, meal place, and if a class isn't offered at Loyola one can take it at Tulane.

Also, after talking to some of the people at Loyola they were telling me about the early acceptance program with Tulane School of Medicine which sounded promising as long as I produce really good grades, but with a smaller class at Loyola ~900 freshmen I think a program like that wouldn't be too hard to reman competitive for if you get my gist.

But then, what about the opps at Pitt, are they worth living in Pittsburgh and freezing my butt off? I lived in NY before I moved to FL so I can tolerate cold, but I LOVE warm, humid climates and New Orleans has that. BUT, being a doctor is so important to me that I do not want to be limited in anyway for preparing for medical school.

Again, thank you so much Gujudoc, I really appreciate your input. And at this point, money isn't an issue I'm just sooo messed up with making the right decision.

EARLY ACCEPTANCE
Tulane School of Medicine has an Early Acceptance agreement with Tulane University, Loyola University New Orleans, Xavier University of New Orleans, Nicholls State University, and Louisiana College. While the programs vary from school to school, in general outstanding students may apply to a committee at their home institution for early acceptance into Tulane medical school after their sophomore year in college, if they have completed all required course work for medical school. If the undergraduate committee nominates a student for acceptance, that student's application goes before the Admission Committee at Tulane School of Medicine. If the medical school committee accepts the nomination, the student will receive a letter of acceptance into the medical school that will become valid only after the student has completed undergraduate studies. The intent of the program is to free the student from two years of worry about medical school acceptance and allow for more freedom in designing the undergraduate curriculum during the final two years. Students from these schools may obtain more information from their home institution.

Last edited:
Also, I read on MDApplicants about all the cool things Pitt students are doing in terms of research and internships at UPMC and although I haven't experienced it yet, the allure of being able to participate in studies like the ones I have been reading about entices me to choose Pitt.

I just wish Pitt was in NOLA, because then it would be a no-brainer.