Ivy League of Pharmacy

Started by bw6
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bw6

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
An interesting article that I read (not seemingly biased) declared The Big Ten Conference "the ivy league of pharmacy." I understand that rankings are not nearly as important in pharmacy as other professions - eg. law - but I did notice that The Big Ten had a very strong representation in the top 10/20 schools. Another reason this caught my attention was, as a pharmacy student, I have had to do research into quite a few famous pharmacists and a shocking number have Big Ten schools on their CV (be it as a student or a faculty member).

Just wanted to hear some opinions about this. I don't want it to be a debate about the relevance of rankings, there have been far too many of those threads. I personally was interested by the number of pharmacy "big dogs" that came from that conference when I was doing my research project..
 
An interesting article that I read (not seemingly biased) declared The Big Ten Conference "the ivy league of pharmacy." I understand that rankings are not nearly as important in pharmacy as other professions - eg. law - but I did notice that The Big Ten had a very strong representation in the top 10/20 schools. Another reason this caught my attention was, as a pharmacy student, I have had to do research into quite a few famous pharmacists and a shocking number have Big Ten schools on their CV (be it as a student or a faculty member).

Just wanted to hear some opinions about this. I don't want it to be a debate about the relevance of rankings, there have been far too many of those threads. I personally was interested by the number of pharmacy "big dogs" that came from that conference when I was doing my research project..

not really answering your question, buuut:

1) never heard anything uber-special about rx schools in the Big Ten. they're good, but... so are other schools. whoever wrote "ivy league of pharmacy schools" sounds like a douchebag with self-esteem issues.

2) I've never had to do research on any "famous pharmacists" in school...that seems weird. Pharm people were famous indirectly (ie DiPiro @ SCCP, Koda-Kimble @ UCSF) through their works. oh and maybe john pemberton cuz he invented coca cola.
 
Pharmacy doesn't have an Ivy League. Big ten does have a lot of good schools.. Minnesota, Wisc, Ohio St, Purdue, Michigan, Iowa...That is because they are large state schools. But the other half of the Big ten don't even have pharm schools...
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Big ten does have a lot of good schools.. Missouri, Wisc, Ohio St, Purdue, Michigan, Iowa...That is because they are large state schools. But the other half of the Big ten don't even have pharm schools...

Pretty sure Missouri is not Big Ten. You forgot Minnesota though, which has a PharmD program.
 
This is really important because we all know ivy league pharmacists typically get paid 30-40% more.
 
An interesting article that I read (not seemingly biased) declared The Big Ten Conference "the ivy league of pharmacy." I understand that rankings are not nearly as important in pharmacy as other professions - eg. law - but I did notice that The Big Ten had a very strong representation in the top 10/20 schools. Another reason this caught my attention was, as a pharmacy student, I have had to do research into quite a few famous pharmacists and a shocking number have Big Ten schools on their CV (be it as a student or a faculty member).

Just wanted to hear some opinions about this. I don't want it to be a debate about the relevance of rankings, there have been far too many of those threads. I personally was interested by the number of pharmacy "big dogs" that came from that conference when I was doing my research project..

Do you have a link to the article offhand? I would be interested in reading it.
 
There's probably more famous pharmacists because the schools have been around longer. My alma mater probably graduated the most "famous pharmacists" out of all the pharmacy schools that exist, simply because of age. We are not a big 10 school, we are not ranked in the top 20, and our grads are having a hard time finding jobs just like everyone else (though we did have a pretty good residency/fellowship placement rate).

BTW off topic: I just wikipediaed alma mater and it means "nourishing mother" and was used in ancient Rome to refer to several goddesses.
 
This is really important because we all know ivy league pharmacists typically get paid 30-40% more.

If you went to pharmacy school decades ago, you may not realize how competitive certain residencies can be if you are interested in clinical pharmacy instead of retail. Retail pays more and requires less training, but some people aren't just in it for money.
When you are matching for a residency, the caliber of school you attended and the grades you earned are very important. If you are going straight into retail, however, I doubt your school and grades have nearly as much sway, as say, what internship/work experience you have.

No one ever claimed your school affected your pay, but from what I have seen it can certainly affect your future as a clinician, if you choose that path.
 
If you went to pharmacy school decades ago, you may not realize how competitive certain residencies can be if you are interested in clinical pharmacy instead of retail. Retail pays more and requires less training, but some people aren't just in it for money.
When you are matching for a residency, the caliber of school you attended and the grades you earned are very important. If you are going straight into retail, however, I doubt your school and grades have nearly as much sway, as say, what internship/work experience you have.

No one ever claimed your school affected your pay, but from what I have seen it can certainly affect your future as a clinician, if you choose that path.

I think you just called Z old.....:meanie:

Trust me honey, Z knows more about the hospital/clinical/residency landscape than you or I or 99% of people on here. It seems as if your sarcasm meter might be broked.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When you are matching for a residency, the caliber of school you attended and the grades you earned are very important

While where you attended does matter to varying degrees, a recent survey of residency directors did not even rank it among the top 10 selection criteria in granting an applicant an interview.

(Factors used by pharmacy residency programs to select residents. Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2012;69:1105-1108.)
 
Oh man, Z totally got called out. :meanie:

Maybe he'll respond when he's done manicuring his lawn.

Haha... no disrespect intended. I'm sure his knowledge of clinical pharmacy trumps mine.🙄
I was just trying to point out that your residency can be affected by which school you attended. Yeah, being in a top ranked school may help you to match but more than just that... If you attend a pharmacy school with a large and/or well respected medical center, your training may give you an edge (not to mention these med centers love to hire and match residents from their affiliated universities).

You aren't old Z!! :scared:
 
You people need to spend more time working/studying than stalking me and my tractor
 
If you went to pharmacy school decades ago, you may not realize how competitive certain residencies can be if you are interested in clinical pharmacy instead of retail. Retail pays more and requires less training, but some people aren't just in it for money.
When you are matching for a residency, the caliber of school you attended and the grades you earned are very important. If you are going straight into retail, however, I doubt your school and grades have nearly as much sway, as say, what internship/work experience you have.

No one ever claimed your school affected your pay, but from what I have seen it can certainly affect your future as a clinician, if you choose that path.

You make me heave a sigh..