Jagiellonian Medical School Residency Options?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ndgreen12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am an American student that is researching medical school opportunities. I will be finishing my undergrad degree in December and will be applying to American schools this spring. I am more interested though in possibly going to medical school in Europe.

I am a huge international freak and am fluent in 3 languages (English, Spanish, Portuguese) with a desire to keep learning more. Because of this the idea of doing medical school and residency in Europe would be amazing. I have a special interest in the Jagiellonian Medical School 4-Year program. I am attracted to this program because of the international recognition and very cheap price compared to the US.

This program allows a return to the US for residency as a back-up (obviously given good USLME scores etc.) but I would prefer staying in Europe for residency. My question is what ability a program like this would allow me to enter residencies in different countries other than the US? I would be most interested in Spain, Portugal, France, the Netherlands, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland or Austria. Any ideas on these residency options?

Also, how would be verifying my Polish medical education in Brazil be? This is where I would like to end up at the end of the day.

Members don't see this ad.

I would also rather go to school in Europe. It wouldn't make you any worse of a doctor but you need to be more accountable while in school. The problem arises with getting a residency. Especially if you don't get a residency right after you get done, your chances in the future go down even further. It's becoming more and more difficult because of the many medical schools that have opened in the US (ie. DO). It would be best to go to school in America, do the residency in America and then you can go anywhere in world. Jagellonian is possible and people have done it. You would be able to practice in the EU but America would be a wild card. Four years of really really extra hard work may still not be good enough to do residency in America. Having said all of this, I have never done it but have researched this extensively as I am Polish and really want to go to school there.

I wouldn't mind practicing in Poland or another country, however, most of the countries pay a fraction of the American salary.

Hello all,

I am an American student that is researching medical school opportunities. I will be finishing my undergrad degree in December and will be applying to American schools this spring. I am more interested though in possibly going to medical school in Europe.

I am a huge international freak and am fluent in 3 languages (English, Spanish, Portuguese) with a desire to keep learning more. Because of this the idea of doing medical school and residency in Europe would be amazing. I have a special interest in the Jagiellonian Medical School 4-Year program. I am attracted to this program because of the international recognition and very cheap price compared to the US.

This program allows a return to the US for residency as a back-up (obviously given good USLME scores etc.) but I would prefer staying in Europe for residency. My question is what ability a program like this would allow me to enter residencies in different countries other than the US? I would be most interested in Spain, Portugal, France, the Netherlands, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland or Austria. Any ideas on these residency options?

Also, how would be verifying my Polish medical education in Brazil be? This is where I would like to end up at the end of the day.

Are you an EU citizen? If the answer is yes, you have the possibility of doing residency in a place where you can speak the language and not just the language but the medical language. If the answer is no however and you can't get EU citizenship by the time you graduate, then you won't be able to stay in the EU period. Its a pretty risky thing in and of itself because coming back to the US is difficult. I strongly strongly recommend going to a US MD school if possible.

If the price of the program is cheaper the quality will be as well. You will get what you pay for no doubt.