JAMA Conference

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Curly

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know which conference is the "official conference" for publication in JAMA? Most journals list this information, but I've been unable to find it. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know which conference is the "official conference" for publication in JAMA? Most journals list this information, but I've been unable to find it. Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure there is one - many landmark/practice-changing trials are published in either JAMA or NEJM simultaneously with their presentation at a specialty-conference. For example at the American College of Cardiology or American Heart Association Conferences, the "official" journals are "Journal of the American College of Cardiology" and "Circulation", however the largest trials/studies being presented at those conferences tend to get published in JAMA or NEJM. This is true of many specialties.

I mean there are some conferences who will publish abstracts presented there as a supplement in some journals. The ACC typically publishes their abstracts in a supplemental issue of JACC, for example (though these are not searchable on pubmed). Is this what you’re saying? If so I’m unsure if JAMA has one

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info. I didn't think there was one. To further clarify, for some journals (e.g. American Journal of Surgery), if you publish at the conference that they are linked to (e.g. for AJS the Southwest Surgical Congress) and your abstract is accepted for an oral presentation, then you are streamlined into having your manuscript accepted. They even have a special issue each year specifically for those who had oral presentations. The same goes for the World Journal of Surgery who supports the World Congress of Surgery. I'm obviously not as familiar with the Internal Medicine conferences/journals, but I have a fairly robust and generalizable manuscript I'm working on that from what I can tell may have a small chance of getting into JAMA. I just didn't know if there was a way to help streamline acceptance.

I think you're conflating 2 different things here. The journal linked abstract publication is pretty typical for all areas of medicine if you present 9even just a poster) at a national or large regional meeting.

But that's not what I think you're talking about. You seem to be asking, "how can I get my manuscript/paper published in JAMA by presenting at a meeting?". In that case, I'm not familiar with JAMA doing this, but NEJM does fairly regularly. But that tends to be for plenary/practice changing talks given at major national meetings. I suspect that's not the paper you're shopping around right now.

Sorry for the additional thread... I called JAMA network. No there is not a singular meeting that is affiliated with JAMA (unlike JAMA Surgery which is affiliated with the Pacific Coast Surgical Association). You are able to present your research in abstract format at a major meeting prior to submission of your manuscript or while under review.