This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PTprez

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys! I just got invited to an interview at Jamestown on April 23rd and after reading some reviews I am not so sure I want to take it. It is not accredited yet but I assume after this years class graduates it will probably be? Also I read that the professors and staff are not exactly up to par... Anyone have any experience with this or tips?

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys! I just got invited to an interview at Jamestown on April 23rd and after reading some reviews I am not so sure I want to take it. It is not accredited yet but I assume after this years class graduates it will probably be? Also I read that the professors and staff are not exactly up to par... Anyone have any experience with this or tips?

Hi PTprez. Being a current student at Jamestown, the program is right on track. I have seen the reviews and they clearly reflect one or two students views of the school. I know who wrote those reviews and they do not describe the views held by the rest of the students currently enrolled at UJ. I believe that the program is right on track and is set to be CAPTE (governing body) certified this May. The professors are in a unique situation. They are fresh out of the clinic and use up-to-date techniques and experiences to draw from when teaching. We have all had that undergraduate professor who is teaching for x number of years and hasn’t changed his/her class format since he/she started. This is not the case at UJ. Almost all the professors have come from the clinic or have years of relevant experience for the classes they are teaching. They bring new ideas and you can always count of them to have heard about the latest and greatest products or techniques in the physical therapy world (asked them about things numerous times and to numerous professors). I would say take the interview and see for yourself. Would you go see a movie even if it got bad reviews? I mean, Home Alone only got a 55% rating on rotten tomatoes and it is regarded as a classic film. Happy Gilmore has a 60% rating and its a great movie. Point being, don’t make a decision based on what other people say. Take the interview, come with an open mind and see for yourself. The worse case scenario, you decide to go somewhere else but it gave you valuable interview experience. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for responding! It is good to know that there are students who really like this program. I am hesitant about moving 14 hours away to North Dakota.... Was this a big adjustment for you?

Thank you so much for responding! It is good to know that there are students who really like this program. I am hesitant about moving 14 hours away to North Dakota.... Was this a big adjustment for you?

No problem. I can probably guess who wrote that but I am enjoying my experience. Besides, if you don't enjoy learning about PT, should you really be a PT? The topics should be exciting and interesting, regardless of who is teaching them. Just food for thought...

Not sure which direction of 14 hours you are coming from but it wasn't too hard for me at least. I grew up in the upper mid-west and have lived here all my life. Given you I'm not from ND but I have experienced winter before. If you haven't seen snow for 3 months out of the year, it might be a little different the first winter but everyone I have met in town is really nice and helpful.

What, specifically, are you hesitant about? Maybe I can be of more help.

No problem. I can probably guess who wrote that but I am enjoying my experience. Besides, if you don't enjoy learning about PT, should you really be a PT? The topics should be exciting and interesting, regardless of who is teaching them. Just food for thought...

Not sure which direction of 14 hours you are coming from but it wasn't too hard for me at least. I grew up in the upper mid-west and have lived here all my life. Given you I'm not from ND but I have experienced winter before. If you haven't seen snow for 3 months out of the year, it might be a little different the first winter but everyone I have met in town is really nice and helpful.

What, specifically, are you hesitant about? Maybe I can be of more help.

I am mainly hesitant about the idea that I will literally have no one I even know within 12 hours of me haha. Also, something about Jamestown that scares me a little bit is that it says online in the mission statement for the DPT program that research is included but yet I tried searching the faculty (even the ones with PhDs) and nothing came up... Not that I am completely into research but it is something that I have been doing for the past 3 years of undergrad and have grown to enjoy a little bit. It is just a little misleading and scary that they don't keep up to date with things like that and have anything published in recent years. Not to bring them down whatsoever though!!! I am sure they are extremely intelligent and into other things for academics and extracurriculars! Just couldn't find it on the website thats all :)

I am mainly hesitant about the idea that I will literally have no one I even know within 12 hours of me haha. Also, something about Jamestown that scares me a little bit is that it says online in the mission statement for the DPT program that research is included but yet I tried searching the faculty (even the ones with PhDs) and nothing came up... Not that I am completely into research but it is something that I have been doing for the past 3 years of undergrad and have grown to enjoy a little bit. It is just a little misleading and scary that they don't keep up to date with things like that and have anything published in recent years. Not to bring them down whatsoever though!!! I am sure they are extremely intelligent and into other things for academics and extracurriculars! Just couldn't find it on the website thats all :)

Just thought I would weigh in a bit here. The biggest thing that the current faculty are working on is starting the program off on the right foot. I believe they are doing a great job at that by streamlining their lesson plans in response to the current students' end of course feedback. I understand some research is currently underway and have even been a test subject for part of one. The focus of the program this early on is education of the current students and the CAPTE accreditation above all else. There is a lot that goes into the accreditation process and literally every goal on every syllabus lines up with things that CAPTE outlined as important not to mention all of the hands on experience in labs. I do not speak for the school in any way as a current student but I believe that above research is community outreach. In the second year we get a couple of days to treat patients alongside current instructors at a pro bono clinic, work with children who have various disabilities at a local gymnasium, and get to work with patients from the community with various disabilities in some of our classes (all these this semester for me). To my knowledge that is not common in PT education and is something I am proud to tell people about. Maybe you should ask about current research at your interview and find out straight from the horse's mouth. Good luck to you!

Just thought I would weigh in a bit here. The biggest thing that the current faculty are working on is starting the program off on the right foot. I believe they are doing a great job at that by streamlining their lesson plans in response to the current students' end of course feedback. I understand some research is currently underway and have even been a test subject for part of one. The focus of the program this early on is education of the current students and the CAPTE accreditation above all else. There is a lot that goes into the accreditation process and literally every goal on every syllabus lines up with things that CAPTE outlined as important not to mention all of the hands on experience in labs. I do not speak for the school in any way as a current student but I believe that above research is community outreach. In the second year we get a couple of days to treat patients alongside current instructors at a pro bono clinic, work with children who have various disabilities at a local gymnasium, and get to work with patients from the community with various disabilities in some of our classes (all these this semester for me). To my knowledge that is not common in PT education and is something I am proud to tell people about. Maybe you should ask about current research at your interview and find out straight from the horse's mouth. Good luck to you!

That is all great to hear actually! calms my nerves a little bit haha. What year are you? Also, when do they start doing clinicals? I know other schools help set them up and I obviously will ask about this later but was just curious if you might know?

That is all great to hear actually! calms my nerves a little bit haha. What year are you? Also, when do they start doing clinicals? I know other schools help set them up and I obviously will ask about this later but was just curious if you might know?

I am in my second year (class of 2017). Clinicals for my class were after the second semester in our first summer, after our second fall semester, the second summer (this summer for me), and then the third spring semester. I am not sure if that is how yours would be spaced out but I liked it and am really looking forward to this summer's clinical and my internship that just got confirmed for next spring!

I am in my second year (class of 2017). Clinicals for my class were after the second semester in our first summer, after our second fall semester, the second summer (this summer for me), and then the third spring semester. I am not sure if that is how yours would be spaced out but I liked it and am really looking forward to this summer's clinical and my internship that just got confirmed for next spring!

I also have an interview this weekend on April 23rd. I was wondering if there were any tips about the interview that you can give. It was stated that it will take approx an hour for the interview, a writing sample and a tour. Also, if you remember how long it took to find out after the interview about the decision from the committee. Any information is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Hi PTprez. Being a current student at Jamestown, the program is right on track. I have seen the reviews and they clearly reflect one or two students views of the school. I know who wrote those reviews and they do not describe the views held by the rest of the students currently enrolled at UJ. I believe that the program is right on track and is set to be CAPTE (governing body) certified this May. The professors are in a unique situation. They are fresh out of the clinic and use up-to-date techniques and experiences to draw from when teaching. We have all had that undergraduate professor who is teaching for x number of years and hasn’t changed his/her class format since he/she started. This is not the case at UJ. Almost all the professors have come from the clinic or have years of relevant experience for the classes they are teaching. They bring new ideas and you can always count of them to have heard about the latest and greatest products or techniques in the physical therapy world (asked them about things numerous times and to numerous professors). I would say take the interview and see for yourself. Would you go see a movie even if it got bad reviews? I mean, Home Alone only got a 55% rating on rotten tomatoes and it is regarded as a classic film. Happy Gilmore has a 60% rating and its a great movie. Point being, don’t make a decision based on what other people say. Take the interview, come with an open mind and see for yourself. The worse case scenario, you decide to go somewhere else but it gave you valuable interview experience. Best of luck!

I have an interview this weekend on April 23rd. I was wondering if there were any tips about the interview that you can give. It was stated that it will take approx an hour for the interview, a writing sample and a tour. Also, if you remember how long it took to find out after the interview about the decision from the committee. Any information is greatly appreciated. Thank you!