• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2001
Cali
I took some JC classes that were offered by my HS when i was a senior. I didn't really study my senior year in HS and didn't do to well in these classes. I was wondering if i was required to include these classes in my amcas application even though I took them at a different school and while i was in HS?

derf

Ohio Land
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2004
Visit site
Status
NRAI2001 said:
I took some JC classes that were offered by my HS when i was a senior. I didn't really study my senior year in HS and didn't do to well in these classes. I was wondering if i was required to include these classes in my amcas application even though I took them at a different school and while i was in HS?

are there any other classes that you DO want AMCAS to see (i.e., 'A' grades) from that specific JC. If the answer is NO, then keep quiet. What AMCAS doesn't know will not hurt them.

About the Ads

Pinkertinkle

2003 Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
But if they find out, you're risking everything.

hamhamfan

internet fairy
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2003
Visit site
Status
Pinkertinkle said:
But if they find out, you're risking everything.
What if they are under a different name?

derf

Ohio Land
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2004
Visit site
Status
I really don't understand what the concern is. if the OP didn't have them transferred to the 4-year school, AMCAS will not find out.

But just to be on the safe side, examine your current transcript from your 4-year institution to make sure they didn't note anything from that JC. If not, you're home free!

Pinkertinkle

2003 Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
The risk is minimal, but what about the consequences?

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2001
Cali
derf said:
I really don't understand what the concern is. if the OP didn't have them transferred to the 4-year school, AMCAS will not find out.

But just to be on the safe side, examine your current transcript from your 4-year institution to make sure they didn't note anything from that JC. If not, you're home free!
I was talking to one of my friends about this and he said that they could potentially check ur social security and any school that u have ever attended will come up. This was purely speculation and he wasn't sure if they would do that. Do you think med schools could do this?

derf

Ohio Land
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2004
Visit site
Status
NRAI2001 said:
I was talking to one of my friends about this and he said that they could potentially check ur social security and any school that u have ever attended will come up. This was purely speculation and he wasn't sure if they would do that. Do you think med schools could do this?

that's a joke right.. :laugh:

So when did AMCAS become the CIA :laugh:

willthatsall

Unretired
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2004
GA
Visit site
Status
Haha, I just caught this thread after I read the thread about your friend who told you taking a lower level immunology course will look bad when you apply to med school. Is this the same friend? If so, never listen to him again. Background check from your social security number? Are they going to run a DNA test too?

NRAI2001

3K Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2001
Cali
willthatsall said:
Haha, I just caught this thread after I read the thread about your friend who told you taking a lower level immunology course will look bad when you apply to med school. Is this the same friend? If so, never listen to him again. Background check from your social security number? Are they going to run a DNA test too?
Hahah, yea that was a different friend, but i don't think either of them know what they are talking about, just a lot of speculation.

B

Blade28

Uh...actually, many hospitals do run background checks, but not to see if you've taken JC classes! :)

Having said that, did they show up on your high school transcript?

About the Ads
B

Blade28

Hmmm...and which of these classes show up on your official college transcript?

dentate_gyrus

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2003
Visit site
Status
contact amcas to make sure, but if those classes are on your HS transcript they may be HS classes and exempt from the acmas disclosure requirement.

jlee9531

J,A,S
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2002
CA
fantasysports.yahoo.com
Status
Attending Physician
you are supposed to list all college level courses you took regardless of when you took them.

you wanna keep quiet? go ahead. the risk may be minimal, but there have been threads about this in the past where the med schools found out something after the student got accepted and after a few years at the med school he got kicked out.

go search and read around. but i dont think you should cover up anything. if you know about it then report it. its not like you failed or anything. grades all the way back then wont figure into their decision too much but doesnt mean you should just not report them.

oldman

Senior Citizen
Gold Donor
15+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2002
Hospital
Status
Attending Physician
jlee9531 said:
you are supposed to list all college level courses you took regardless of when you took them.

you wanna keep quiet? go ahead. the risk may be minimal, but there have been threads about this in the past where the med schools found out something after the student got accepted and after a few years at the med school he got kicked out.

go search and read around. but i dont think you should cover up anything. if you know about it then report it. its not like you failed or anything. grades all the way back then wont figure into their decision too much but doesnt mean you should just not report them.
yeah, better safe than sorry. were those grades bad ones?

jlee9531

J,A,S
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2002
CA
fantasysports.yahoo.com
Status
Attending Physician
NRAI2001 said:
No they werent bad, I got Two A's and Two B's. But it stil brings my gpa down.
just put it down man. the 2 Bs will not affect whether or not you get into that med school.

oldman

Senior Citizen
Gold Donor
15+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2002
Hospital
Status
Attending Physician
NRAI2001 said:
i'd just put it down.

hamhamfan

internet fairy
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2003
Visit site
Status
NRAI2001 said:
Ugh that's nothing. Do you know what I got under that alternate name? A "F"!

hamhamfan

internet fairy
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2003
Visit site
Status
NRAI2001 said:
Why would u use an alternate name?
Actually, I didn't know what my legal name was. I thought that was my name, so I used it (this was in high school). When started college for real, I used my legal name.

About the Ads