Jefferson Class of 2011 Class thread...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Where is everybody? There has to be something we can talk about on this thread...

Just to double check, I was filling out the housing form and on the very bottom, you only have to list your top choice of where you want to live correct? And who's all going to second look again? I'm trying to look up fares and it doesn't look promising.

So when did you get your housing form? I'm also gonna be at 2nd look. See you there!

Members don't see this ad.

Oh cool I didn't know about the student host thing.

Hey there!

I got my info on the second look a few weeks ago, so what I'm about to type I'm reading off the paper right now.

Second look is from April 26-27. on Thursday there's a welcome reception from 5-7 pm for us. On Friday our day should start at 8:30 am with breakfast, then there's all kinds of features, like a financial aid overview, curriculum update, community outreach etc...the most interesting part of the day in my opinion will be the lunch with Jeff students and faculty at 12 pm, and the clinical tours at 1:15 pm....basically the day will finish at 4 pm.

We're suppose to confirm our attendance by April 12; also, they should be sending a student host list for us to find someone to stay with during that time (i haven't received mine yet)....you can choose to attend both the thursday and friday events or just the one on Friday.

Hope that helps!

So when did you get your housing form? I'm also gonna be at 2nd look. See you there!

Hey dangerfield. Congratulations on your acceptance. Welcome aboard!!! Coming from Hawaii for second look??? Wow. I live in New Jersey so I'm a liiiiiiitttlle bit closer. Can't wait to meet some of my classmates. I'll see you there.

Members don't see this ad :)
LOL.. yeah just a little closer. I know it's kinda crazy for me to go all the way to philly for a second look, but then again coming from where I come from its pretty important that i do. One of my very good friends is from Clifton and I have another good friend who's also from Jersey, both none pre-med students.

Does anyone have any advice on furnishing a one bed room in barringer? Where's the best place to get some small and cheap furniture?

See you guys at 2nd look!

I think I'm going with IKEA and craigslist if I can. btw I'm from the feb 28th group also.

yeah, still waiting on the student host thing (got my plane tickets though). Really I dont think I can miss this trip even though it's pissing off one of my profs pretty badly that I'm missing a lab final. I've had a VERY hard time deciding between Jeff and another school.

I think I'm going with IKEA and craigslist if I can. btw I'm from the feb 28th group also.

Thanks, I'll definitely check those out. well I was the one from hawaii if you remembered me. I was late going to the student introduction thing in the conference room! :D

LOL.. yeah just a little closer. I know it's kinda crazy for me to go all the way to philly for a second look, but then again coming from where I come from its pretty important that i do. One of my very good friends is from Clifton and I have another good friend who's also from Jersey, both none pre-med students.

Well, I guess it's really not crazy at all. This is a huge decision and a huge committment. You have to make sure Jeff is the right place for you. Did you grow up in Hawaii? If so, moving to Philly will probably be somewhat of a culture shock. But the beach is only an hour away (in New Jersey, of course) if you feel the need to have sand between you toes. See you at second look.

Hey guys,

Anyones parents going to second look? I mean, mine are driving down with me and setting up shop at a hotel during the day when all the activities are going on. They just wanted to see the place I will probably be attending and paying for for the next 4 years.

I was just curious because ive read on other threads how parents shouldn't come, which I thought was rediculous. At least in my case, they are paying the bills so I figure they have a right to come and check out the place.

So I looked up the banner login for financial aid and I'm still due to take an entrance exam to get aid. I emailed them a while ago about this and it seems like we're supposed to get scheduled to take the exam. Did anyone finish it and already received their award summary for the fall?? I just sent my little postcard indicating I won't be attending 2nd look. This makes me sad, but I have a conflict in schedule for that weekend...boo.:thumbdown:

Would like to know if anyone is looking for a roommate? I'll be starting residency in Philly and will be looking to move in to a 2/2 in June. I'm interested in living in Bryn Mawr/Main Line area. If anyone is interested please reply to [email protected]
thanks and I apologize for posting this on your class message board but I thought it would reach more people.

Just got my second look follow-up email a couple days ago! They gave me the name of 2 student hosts (are they the only two females who volunteered?:eek:). Also, there's a form you have to fill out about your preference for the clinical tours.... Anyway just letting you know for those who are interested in the process!:D

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with you. I don't think it would be a bad thing if a student brings their parents to see the school.

Hey guys,

Anyones parents going to second look? I mean, mine are driving down with me and setting up shop at a hotel during the day when all the activities are going on. They just wanted to see the place I will probably be attending and paying for for the next 4 years.

I was just curious because ive read on other threads how parents shouldn't come, which I thought was rediculous. At least in my case, they are paying the bills so I figure they have a right to come and check out the place.

The entrance interview is just an online tutorial with a very easy quiz at the end. Actually it's impossible to fail, just go ahead and try it and youl'll see why. Students applying financial aid HAVE to do this tutorial thing. You go to the JMC financial aid website and click on the entrance interview and then follow the directions. You have to create an account and then choose which school you'll be attending and then follow the rest of the steps. You don't need any documents to do this thing. It's just one of the things you have to do before the financial aid office can calculate your award summary. Their basically making sure that you know what your doing when you take out a large loan. ok LATAHS.

So I looked up the banner login for financial aid and I'm still due to take an entrance exam to get aid. I emailed them a while ago about this and it seems like we're supposed to get scheduled to take the exam. Did anyone finish it and already received their award summary for the fall?? I just sent my little postcard indicating I won't be attending 2nd look. This makes me sad, but I have a conflict in schedule for that weekend...boo.:thumbdown:

Thanks dangerfield. I completed the exam yesterday. Has anyone received their financial aid package yet?? I was looking at last year's class thread and most received their finaid stuff this time of year.

The entrance interview is just an online tutorial with a very easy quiz at the end. Actually it's impossible to fail, just go ahead and try it and youl'll see why. Students applying financial aid HAVE to do this tutorial thing. You go to the JMC financial aid website and click on the entrance interview and then follow the directions. You have to create an account and then choose which school you'll be attending and then follow the rest of the steps. You don't need any documents to do this thing. It's just one of the things you have to do before the financial aid office can calculate your award summary. Their basically making sure that you know what your doing when you take out a large loan. ok LATAHS.

hey, you have a link for the website for this? I can't seem to find it on the site

edit: nevermind... found it.

Thanks, I'll definitely check those out. well I was the one from hawaii if you remembered me. I was late going to the student introduction thing in the conference room! :D

I think I sat next to you in the conference room.

For those of you going to second look....What do you plan to do on Thursday night after the dinner (it's supposed to finish at 7 pm)? Hopefully we get to hang out with some Jeff students:cool:

For those of you going to second look....What do you plan to do on Thursday night after the dinner (it's supposed to finish at 7 pm)? Hopefully we get to hang out with some Jeff students:cool:

definately... this will make my second time ever in philly.

definitely... this will make my second time ever in philly.

It'll be my fifth time there, but I've never been really able to just walk around and get a feel for the place. I really hope this ridiculously cold weather gets warmer by then!

I'm wondering about the dress code for the events though....I mean is dinner going to be elegant or business casual? And for Friday's events, is it business or business casual? :confused:. I wish they would tell us these things, so I don't walk up in there in a sequin gown or something when everyone else is in a polo and khakis :p

(as I'm typing this it feels so surreal...I'm actually going to Jefferson!!!....hell, I actually got into med school !?!)

From reading previous posts (I think I read it in class of 2010), I think that the attire for 2nd look is casual (but no jeans). Has everyone received the housing application yet? I just received my financial aid info, last friday. I guess everythings via snail mail. It's frustrating being so far away!

Also, is anyone thinking about off campus housing? Any suggestions for non married couple's housing?

did anyone fax the RSVP for the second look, i faxed mine yesterday and i think it might have been too late, how do they confirm the rsvp? Thanks

did anyone fax the RSVP for the second look, i faxed mine yesterday and i think it might have been too late, how do they confirm the rsvp? Thanks

I wouldn't worry about it. For planning purposes they need to know how many people are coming. I'm sure adding one more person to the list won't be a big deal.

From reading previous posts (I think I read it in class of 2010), I think that the attire for 2nd look is casual (but no jeans). Has everyone received the housing application yet? I just received my financial aid info, last friday. I guess everythings via snail mail. It's frustrating being so far away!
Also, is anyone thinking about off campus housing? Any suggestions for non married couple's housing?

Thank goodness someone received theirs! I was reading last year's class thread and everyone was receiving finaid stuff about this time, but housing isn't until end of May or June, I heard. I wonder how much institutional aid is given out every year to incoming students.

Do any of you guys think that Jefferson selling the Gross Anatomy painting for $28 mil is indicative of financial trouble? When I start selling things around the house, thats not a good sign of my financial situation. A garage sale I can understand. But selling antiques?

Do any of you guys think that Jefferson selling the Gross Anatomy painting for $28 mil is indicative of financial trouble? When I start selling things around the house, thats not a good sign of my financial situation. A garage sale I can understand. But selling antiques?

Well...It's the Gross Clinic, and it went for $68 million. And no, it was not indicative of financial trouble. Here is the story, straight from the Dean's mouth:

Dr. Barchi came to Jefferson to be its new President a few years ago. Before that, Dr. Barchi was Provost at the University of Pennsylvania a few miles away.

Thomas Eakins, who painted the Gross Clinic, was asked to paint another portrait of another surgeon a few years later. This time, he was asked to paint a portrait of Dr. Agnew, who was a surgeon and professor at the University of Pennsylvania. Although this painting is not as famous, it is still important and quite valuable. However, a few years ago, a steam pipe burst in the building where the painting was hung. The Agnew Clinic was exposed to some steam, which damaged the painting. Luckily, the Philadelphia Museum of Art managed to restore the painting. However, everyone was so scared by the possibility of damaging the painting further, so the PMA curators kept the painting inside their museum, which is temperature controlled and can protect its paintings against wear and tear (and steam pipes). [http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cach...linic"+steam+damage&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us]

When Dr. Barchi came to Jefferson, he was very worried that something similar would happen to the Gross Clinic, which is more famous, more iconic, and more valuable. He then seriously pursued the idea that maybe we should sell the painting to a museum where it would be safe. To be fair to Dr. Barchi, he got Jefferson a great deal - the painting must always be displayed with a sign that indicates that we owned it originally. Jefferson still gets to use the Gross Clinic image in all of its publications/shirts/books, etc. And we'll be getting replica of the painting to hang up as display. We're not THAT hard up for money. :)

Ah, I see. Right my bad. Thanks for clarifying that for me.
Well...It's the Gross Clinic, and it went for $68 million. And no, it was not indicative of financial trouble. Here is the story, straight from the Dean's mouth:

Dr. Barchi came to Jefferson to be its new President a few years ago. Before that, Dr. Barchi was Provost at the University of Pennsylvania a few miles away.

Thomas Eakins, who painted the Gross Clinic, was asked to paint another portrait of another surgeon a few years later. This time, he was asked to paint a portrait of Dr. Agnew, who was a surgeon and professor at the University of Pennsylvania. Although this painting is not as famous, it is still important and quite valuable. However, a few years ago, a steam pipe burst in the building where the painting was hung. The Agnew Clinic was exposed to some steam, which damaged the painting. Luckily, the Philadelphia Museum of Art managed to restore the painting. However, everyone was so scared by the possibility of damaging the painting further, so the PMA curators kept the painting inside their museum, which is temperature controlled and can protect its paintings against wear and tear (and steam pipes). [http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cach...linic"+steam+damage&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us]

When Dr. Barchi came to Jefferson, he was very worried that something similar would happen to the Gross Clinic, which is more famous, more iconic, and more valuable. He then seriously pursued the idea that maybe we should sell the painting to a museum where it would be safe. To be fair to Dr. Barchi, he got Jefferson a great deal - the painting must always be displayed with a sign that indicates that we owned it originally. Jefferson still gets to use the Gross Clinic image in all of its publications/shirts/books, etc. And we'll be getting replica of the painting to hang up as display. We're not THAT hard up for money. :)

Ah, I see. Right my bad. Thanks for clarifying that for me.

No worries. A lot of the alumni didn't know because Brian Harrison (the Chairman of the Board of Trustees) didn't do such a great job of telling people. (Ahem.) Luckily, Dean Nasca and Dr. Barchi cleared it up for the students.

Your response was a joke, right? You don't actually believe the painting was sold to protect it from risks of accidental damage, do you? If you do, please PM me. I have a bridge for sale that you might be interested in. :laugh:

When Jefferson's board authorzied the sale of this painting, it engaged Chrsitie's auction house in New York to act as its broker. Christie's quietly marketed this work in the art world over a number of months in order get Jefferson the best price. As you will recall, the initial sale agreement was to a Wal-Mart hieress in Arkansas. After much outcry and fundraising in the Philadelphia art community, the painting was sold to a local consortium of museums for (I believe) $68,000,000. That public outcry and fundraising is the only reason that this famous painting is in Philadelphia and not in Little Rock. Which of these facts indicates to you that Jefferson sold the painting to protect it from the possibility of loss or damage?

If the primary concern was protecting the painting from accidental damage, why was it necessary to sell it at all? The answer is that it wasn't. If Jefferson did not have the facilities to adequately safeguard the painting, it could have given the work on "permanent loan" to the PMA (or another museum) where it (along with its Jefferson connection) could have been proudly displayed in an environment with adequate protective safeguards. Jefferson didn't have to spend or earn a dime to ensure the physical security of the painting. Instead, the painting was effectively put up for bid - the highest price takes it home. And, if not for the local consortium of museums who came up with roughly $70,000,000, you'd now have to travel to Arkansas to see it. Again, does the motive of protecting the painting jump out at you here?

And, finally, Jefferson has, only yesterday, done it again!!!

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D8OFR2480.htm

I'm sure this sale was also to protect this Eakins' painting from the risk of accidental loss.

Riiiiiight!!!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Edit: I'm sorry if this post comes off sounding harsh. But, man, you're in med school. You've got a brain. Start using it to think critically and don't accept everything someone with "Dean" or "Dr." in front of his name tells you.

Edit: I'm sorry if this post comes off sounding harsh. But, man, you're in med school. You've got a brain. Start using it to think critically and don't accept everything someone with "Dean" or "Dr." in front of his name tells you.

No, why apologize? If you want to act like a jerk in a public forum, that's your perogative.

If you want to apologize for something, apologize for assuming that someone (whom you've never met and do not know well) is a brainless obedient robot, just because she agrees with something that a school administrator told her.

Oddly enough, I DO critically and carefully weigh everything that I'm told. Dr. Nasca's explanation makes sense, and would make sense to anyone who's spent significant time at the school. The painting, where it was, wasn't protected. There are a lot of labs in that particular building (Alumni Hall). The painting wasn't behind a glass barrier (they tried that a few years ago and condensation built up underneath the glass). It was exposed to the elements - or anyone with a paintball gun. (Not kidding about that one.)

When Jefferson's board authorzied the sale of this painting, it engaged Chrsitie's auction house in New York to act as its broker. Christie's quietly marketed this work in the art world over a number of months in order get Jefferson the best price. As you will recall, the initial sale agreement was to a Wal-Mart hieress in Arkansas. After much outcry and fundraising in the Philadelphia art community, the painting was sold to a local consortium of museums for (I believe) $68,000,000. That public outcry and fundraising is the only reason that this famous painting is in Philadelphia and not in Little Rock. Which of these facts indicates to you that Jefferson sold the painting to protect it from the possibility of loss or damage?

I'm quite familiar with the background of the sale. And, as strange as it sounds, I was pissed off about the sale too. (Angry enough to send off emails to Dr. Barchi, Dean Nasca, and Brian Harrison.) But, I think even you would agree that a big-name museum can protect that painting better than we can. And, if they're going to get the painting off campus, why not sell it and try to get some gain out of it? And, once you make the decision to sell it, why not engage one of the biggest brokers (Christie's) in the world to put the sale through for you? I don't get your indignation. Would you prefer that a bunch of physicians tried to broker the sale of the painting? Why not hire the best specialist you can find? The Gross Clinic is an important painting and deserved a good broker if it were going to be sold.

The thing is - yes, I was born and raised in Philadelphia too. But I have never bought the argument that the painting "belonged to Philadelphia." Sorry, but it doesn't make sense to me. The painting has always belonged to Jefferson - and, I'd make the argument that the painting belongs to all medical students, medical professors, and doctors more than it belongs to Philadelphia. The Gross Clinic makes a statement about the medical profession, not Philadelphia as a whole.

Most people in Philadelphia never gave a damn about Eakins until the PMA had the Eakins exhibit ~5 years ago. Jefferson decides to sell its painting, and, suddenly, the city decides to claim ownership. Sorry - not buying it. The public HAD a chance to see the painting for many, many years, because the school has (for the past few decades at least) displayed it in a public area that did not charge admission. The city's belated outrage never made sense to me, even though I was also angry about the sale.

If the primary concern was protecting the painting from accidental damage, why was it necessary to sell it at all? The answer is that it wasn't. If Jefferson did not have the facilities to adequately safeguard the painting, it could have given the work on "permanent loan" to the PMA (or another museum) where it (along with its Jefferson connection) could have been proudly displayed in an environment with adequate protective safeguards. Jefferson didn't have to spend or earn a dime to ensure the physical security of the painting. Instead, the painting was put up for bid - the highest price takes it home. And, if not for the local consortium of museums who came up with roughly $70,000,000, you'd now have to travel to Arkansas to see it.

And, finally, Jefferson has, only yesterday, done it again!!!

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D8OFR2480.htm

I'm sure this sale was also to protect this Eakins' painting from the risk of accidental loss.

Like I said, if you're going to get the painting off campus, get some financial benefit for it. Why not?

And all Jefferson alumni and students knew that the Rand portrait was going to go. It was hung in the same space as the Gross clinic and subject to the same dangers. It wouldn't even be a blip on your radar if the Gross Clinic hadn't been sold a little while ago. Sorry, but your sarcasm and indignation seem a little misplaced.

No, why apologize? If you want to act like a jerk in a public forum, that's your perogative.

If you want to apologize for something, apologize for assuming that someone (whom you've never met and do not know well) is a brainless obedient robot, just because she agrees with something that a school administrator told her.

My, my touchy aren't we? No need for name calling. Says more about you than it does about me. By they way, where did I call you a brainless, obedient robot?

The painting, where it was, wasn't protected. There are a lot of labs in that particular building (Alumni Hall). The painting wasn't behind a glass barrier (they tried that a few years ago and condensation built up underneath the glass). It was exposed to the elements - or anyone with a paintball gun. (Not kidding about that one.)

Don't disagree with any of this. And why do you assume that I haven't spent a significant amount of time at Jefferson? You're a MS2, right? I can assure you I've spent far more time at Jefferson than you have. But, again, if the physical security of the painting is the primary motivating factor in disposing of it, just give it on permanent loan to the PMA. Oh, yeah, right. We might as well get something out of it. So let's retain Chrsitie's to sell it for tens of millions of dollars.

I'm quite familiar with the background of the sale. And, as strange as it sounds, I was pissed off about the sale too. (Angry enough to send off emails to Dr. Barchi, Dean Nasca, and Brian Harrison.) But, I think even you would agree that a big-name museum can protect that painting better than we can. And, if they're going to get the painting off campus, why not sell it and try to get some gain out of it? And, once you make the decision to sell it, why not engage one of the biggest brokers (Christie's) in the world to put the sale through for you? I don't get your indignation. Would you prefer that a bunch of physicians tried to broker the sale of the painting? Why not hire the best specialist you can find? The Gross Clinic is an important painting and deserved a good broker if it were going to be sold.

I'm not indignant. What I object to is your portraying the revenue-generating aspect of the transaction as secondary to the preservation aspect of the transaction. In fact, the exact opposite is true. And if the medical students at Jefferson don't know that, you guys are the only ones at Jeff who don't.

My, my touchy aren't we? No need for name calling. Says more about you than it does about me. By they way, where did I call you a brainless, obedient robot?

Name calling? For saying that you were acting like a jerk? Well, I'm sorry that I called you a jerk. And I'm sorry if you found that harsh. It's just - you chose to, basically, crash this thread to air your personal viewpoints about a certain issue. And you advised me (someone that you don't know) to become a critical thinker and not blindly listen to someone "just because he has the word 'dean' in front of his name." Maybe the word "jerk" was a little harsh...but it's how it comes across. Go back and read your post.

(Well, maybe the "brainless obedient robot" comment was borne out of frustration. I'll give you that.)

Don't disagree with any of this. And why do you assume that I haven't spent a significant amount of time at Jefferson. You're a MS2, right? I can assure you I've spent far more time at Jefferson than you have. But, again, if the physical security of the painting is the primary motivating factor in disposing of it, just give it on permanent loan to the PMA. Oh, yeah, right. We might as well get something out of it. So let's retain Chrsitie's to sell it for tens of millions of dollars.

I'm not indignant. What I object to is your portraying the revenue-generating aspect of the transaction as secondary to the preservation aspect of the transaction. In fact, the exact opposite is true. And if the medical students at Jefferson don't know that, you guys are the only ones at Jeff who don't.

Well, I could offer a compromise and say that both money and preservation were important in the decision. I don't know if you'd accept that though. (tired sigh) And I'm too tired to care, really.

Look - someone asked if the sale of the painting meant that Jefferson is in dire financial straits. I assured him that there are practical reasons besides the money aspect. If you personally don't believe that, that's fine - although I think that a better response would have been to respond to me personally, not on a public forum devoted to issues facing matriculating Jefferson students. I don't think that Jefferson needs the money all that badly (especially since the $68 million isn't going towards building new buildings or anything.) We have enough space and facilities for our med students, and they're perfectly good facilities.

But if you don't agree with me, there's nothing wrong with that. But choosing this thread to air your personal views (when there's a PM function) is pushing it. That's all.

Ok ... truce. You're a Jeff student. I'm a Jeff employee. We're both Jeff people so let's not fight. You'll believe what you want to believe, no matter how far from reality your belief is. So, we'll leave it at that.

One final comment. My post, ableit indirectly perhaps, was responding to the original post on the sale of the painting - just as yours was. I did not "crash" the thread to interpose my "personal views." I have just as much right to respond to his/her inquiry as you do. Moreover, why do you beleive that your statements on this issue are factual while my statments constitute my "personal views?" These are not my "personal views,'' they are facts. Facts which, frankly, are known by everyone at Jefferson with the apparent exception of the medical students.

Only PM me if you're still interested in that bridge. :laugh:

I have just as much right to respond to his/her inquiry as you do. Moreover, why do you beleive that your statements on this issue are factual while my statments constitute my "personal views?" These are not my "personal views,'' they are facts.

Well, I'm sorry that I made you feel like I was saying that you didn't belong here. Of course - this thread isn't limited to Jefferson students (present and future)/alumni so there's no reason why you shouldn't post here. But I also really don't feel like a) so much sarcasm was necessary when disagreeing with what I said, and b) I don't think it addressed dangerfield's concern, which is that the quality of his future medical education may be compromised because JMC needs money. I also felt like you were being a little insulting just because I had repeated (and agreed with) what Dean Nasca has told me. That's all.

Bottom line: I didn't feel like the quality of my education was ever in danger because of financial reasons before the sale of the Gross Clinic. I don't think that the quality of my education is going to drastically change after the sale of the Gross Clinic is complete. A lot of the stuff that med students actually learn from (the lecture notes, lecture recordings, the clinical skills center) were already in place long before the sale went through. So, no - I wouldn't worry about it.

You'll believe what you want to believe, no matter how far from reality your belief is. So, we'll leave it at that.

One final comment. My post, ableit indirectly perhaps, was responding to the original post on the sale of the painting - just as yours was. I did not "crash" the thread to interpose my "personal views." I have just as much right to respond to his/her inquiry as you do. Moreover, why do you beleive that your statements on this issue are factual while my statments constitute my "personal views?" These are not my "personal views,'' they are facts. Facts which, frankly, are known by everyone at Jefferson with the apparent exception of the medical students.

Well, like I said, I made a genuine effort to make a compromise. I didn't think you would really accept it, but, hey - I gave it a shot. Oh well. :-/

And... moving back to the original purpose of this thread:

For Friday, I agree - it should be business casual. They won't get upset if you wear jeans, but, since you'll be taking a clinical tour (and may be seen by patients in the hospital), you should probably wear khakis or comfortable slacks. No suits are necessary, though.

In terms of off-campus, non-married couple housing - craigslist is usually good. The philadelphia weekly also has an online listing of apartments. If you can get your hands on a paper copy (the Philadelphia Weekly is available for free from big yellow newspaper boxes on a lot of street corners) during 2nd look, you can take a look through that. If not, you can look through it for free online: www.philadelphiaweekly.com

I don't think you need to wait until they send you a housing application - you're free to fill one out whenever. Actually, I think you were free to fill it out when you got the interview invite (I know, that sounds like tempting fate, but I think it's possible). Here's the housing link: http://www.jefferson.edu/housing/ , and you can apply by clicking on the "APPLY TODAY" link on the left. I may have posted this before, but you might have to scroll quite a bit past the artwork debate. :)

I am currently an undergrad doing research on medical schools. although thomas jefferson doesnt have that great of a ranking in most med school rankings, it seems that TJ is a very presitgious and respected school. I was just wondering how good the residency placements were for TJ?
thanks

Thanks for answering my other questions smq123, definitely very helpful.. especially the links. I'll probably try off campus housing to save SOME money. My bad for bringing up the artwork debate. :D Regardless of what happened in the discussion, i still think Jefferson is a great school and i'm happy to get my education there.

Well, I'm sorry that I made you feel like I was saying that you didn't belong here. Of course - this thread isn't limited to Jefferson students (present and future)/alumni so there's no reason why you shouldn't post here. But I also really don't feel like a) so much sarcasm was necessary when disagreeing with what I said, and b) I don't think it addressed dangerfield's concern, which is that the quality of his future medical education may be compromised because JMC needs money. I also felt like you were being a little insulting just because I had repeated (and agreed with) what Dean Nasca has told me. That's all.

Bottom line: I didn't feel like the quality of my education was ever in danger because of financial reasons before the sale of the Gross Clinic. I don't think that the quality of my education is going to drastically change after the sale of the Gross Clinic is complete. A lot of the stuff that med students actually learn from (the lecture notes, lecture recordings, the clinical skills center) were already in place long before the sale went through. So, no - I wouldn't worry about it.

Well, like I said, I made a genuine effort to make a compromise. I didn't think you would really accept it, but, hey - I gave it a shot. Oh well. :-/

And... moving back to the original purpose of this thread:

For Friday, I agree - it should be business casual. They won't get upset if you wear jeans, but, since you'll be taking a clinical tour (and may be seen by patients in the hospital), you should probably wear khakis or comfortable slacks. No suits are necessary, though.

In terms of off-campus, non-married couple housing - craigslist is usually good. The philadelphia weekly also has an online listing of apartments. If you can get your hands on a paper copy (the Philadelphia Weekly is available for free from big yellow newspaper boxes on a lot of street corners) during 2nd look, you can take a look through that. If not, you can look through it for free online: www.philadelphiaweekly.com

I don't think you need to wait until they send you a housing application - you're free to fill one out whenever. Actually, I think you were free to fill it out when you got the interview invite (I know, that sounds like tempting fate, but I think it's possible). Here's the housing link: http://www.jefferson.edu/housing/ , and you can apply by clicking on the "APPLY TODAY" link on the left. I may have posted this before, but you might have to scroll quite a bit past the artwork debate. :)

:( Sheeze, I can't seem to find ANY hotel that isn't booked during 2nd look . Are there any current TJU students that would be willing to host me? I arrive Thursday, April 26 (afternoon) and leave on the Saturday in the morning. I'm willing to pay to use your hot water, a place to sleep, etc.

Dangerfield, you, and anyone else who needs a place to crash for the weekend, are welcome at our house. I'm a second year and live in the coed frat. We've got a bunch of couch space and the hot water is free :)

All the frats are having a rush day on Thursday evening after the 2nd look stuff is done. We'll all show off our houses and meet you potential first years that are interested in frat living. Our house in particular is looking for two gals and two guys. We live on Clinton St. between 10th and 11th which is about 3 blocks from campus, 3 blocks from grocery stores/south st., and not far from pretty much anywhere you'd want to go in center city. This house is the only coed frat on campus, there are 4 other all male frats. Everyone just calls us the coed, but the official name is Phi Delta Epsilon (PDE). Frats at med school aren't really like undergrad frats. Everyone's really respectful of exams and such, at least in this house. Our house in particular is a lot more like a group of friends living together than any kind of organized social club. We have house meetings and house dinners/nights out, but everyone's generally very chill about being a frat. Next year the make up of the house will be 5 guys and 6 gals - 2 2nd yrs, 3 3rd yrs, 2 4th yrs, and 4 new 1st yrs. There are 11 people in the house in 10 bedrooms, one of them is a double, in which I lived my first year. The bright side is that the double is only for first years, you're guaranteed a nice sized single for the rest of your time here. Anyhow it's larger than my entire studio apartment was before I came here; there's a loft for one of the beds, and some great built in desks underneath the loft. The double also has space for a little living area and an attached bathroom. The house itself has a large common living room, kitchen, rooftop deck, basement/rec room, and laundry room. Rent includes all utilities, cable, internet, beer from the kegerator, and cleaning supplies/TP/paper towels etc. Every year you can use up to one months rent to do a room improvement project which can be pretty much anything as long as it stays with the room when you move. The best part of all is that your monthly rent for any room is less than $250/month, more like $180 in the double. For a 2bdrm/1 bath apartment in the campus housing you'll pay at least $650/month before utilities and it doesn't include all the perks included with our house.

You all probably got some kind of letter or e-mail about rush, but you'll hear more about the evening during 2nd look stuff next thursday. If you won't be around for that weekend just get back to me and we can work something out so that you can see the place/we can meet you.

Liz

Hey I was just wondering what people do after the second look activities are done on Friday (around 4).....should I just book my return ticket back to MD shortly thereafter, or do second lookers benefit from staying around afterward?

I'm contemplating whether I should leave on Friday or Saturday....any thoughts/ opinions from Jeff students? :)

:DThanks sooooooooooooooo much for the offer. I received a letter from the infraternity council and heard that there was one coed frat. It's nice to hear from a member of one of the frats. But, I actually just got in touch with an MS1 before reading your post and already made plans with him. Thanks so much though for the offer, really appreciate it. Hope to meet you during 2nd look then.
Ramon

Dangerfield, you, and anyone else who needs a place to crash for the weekend, are welcome at our house. I'm a second year and live in the coed frat. We've got a bunch of couch space and the hot water is free :)

All the frats are having a rush day on Thursday evening after the 2nd look stuff is done. We'll all show off our houses and meet you potential first years that are interested in frat living. Our house in particular is looking for two gals and two guys. We live on Clinton St. between 10th and 11th which is about 3 blocks from campus, 3 blocks from grocery stores/south st., and not far from pretty much anywhere you'd want to go in center city. This house is the only coed frat on campus, there are 4 other all male frats. Everyone just calls us the coed, but the official name is Phi Delta Epsilon (PDE). Frats at med school aren't really like undergrad frats. Everyone's really respectful of exams and such, at least in this house. Our house in particular is a lot more like a group of friends living together than any kind of organized social club. We have house meetings and house dinners/nights out, but everyone's generally very chill about being a frat. Next year the make up of the house will be 5 guys and 6 gals - 2 2nd yrs, 3 3rd yrs, 2 4th yrs, and 4 new 1st yrs. There are 11 people in the house in 10 bedrooms, one of them is a double, in which I lived my first year. The bright side is that the double is only for first years, you're guaranteed a nice sized single for the rest of your time here. Anyhow it's larger than my entire studio apartment was before I came here; there's a loft for one of the beds, and some great built in desks underneath the loft. The double also has space for a little living area and an attached bathroom. The house itself has a large common living room, kitchen, rooftop deck, basement/rec room, and laundry room. Rent includes all utilities, cable, internet, beer from the kegerator, and cleaning supplies/TP/paper towels etc. Every year you can use up to one months rent to do a room improvement project which can be pretty much anything as long as it stays with the room when you move. The best part of all is that your monthly rent for any room is less than $250/month, more like $180 in the double. For a 2bdrm/1 bath apartment in the campus housing you'll pay at least $650/month before utilities and it doesn't include all the perks included with our house.

You all probably got some kind of letter or e-mail about rush, but you'll hear more about the evening during 2nd look stuff next thursday. If you won't be around for that weekend just get back to me and we can work something out so that you can see the place/we can meet you.

Liz

Hey I was just wondering what people do after the second look activities are done on Friday (around 4).....should I just book my return ticket back to MD shortly thereafter, or do second lookers benefit from staying around afterward?

I'm contemplating whether I should leave on Friday or Saturday....any thoughts/ opinions from Jeff students? :)[/QUOTE

If you don't have to be home for work/school, and you're paying for a flight anyhow, then you might as well stick around an extra day to see Philly if nothing else. There will probably be things going on Friday night, but I don't know of any specific plans. First and Second years won't have exams for a while after 2nd look. Sorry I can't be more specific, good luck!

Liz

thanks for the response, Krebse:D

We are on the bottom of the 2nd page..bumpn to 1st page:)

I still didn't get any response to my second look RSVP, should i call?

anyone bored and willing to help me get excited about Jeff?

i was reading somewhere about 16 weeks of electives, can i spend all 16 weeks abroad? what do most people do? I know about the IFMSA club and was wondering what the best approach would be to start preparing for international electives. Thanks!

I still didn't get any response to my second look RSVP, should i call?

It wouldn't hurt. I don't think it's necessary, but it wouldn't hurt.

i was reading somewhere about 16 weeks of electives, can i spend all 16 weeks abroad? what do most people do? I know about the IFMSA club and was wondering what the best approach would be to start preparing for international electives. Thanks!

Well, this is pretty far down the road for you. We don't do electives until 4th year. As for doing all of your electives abroad...if you're applying for a very non-competitive residency, you don't have a "first choice" residency in mind, you don't care where you match, and your grades and Step 1 scores are such that you're sure that you will match, then you could probably do all of your electives in international settings.

The benefit of doing away electives is to a) get a month of research under your belt, b) get a chance to do an "audition" rotation at a place where you would like to do residency, or c) test the waters at a hospital where you are thinking about doing your residency. It's also a chance to get LORs from residency directors and attendings at other institutions. For instance, if you would LOVE to do derm, then you would use one of your electives to do some derm research (which is practically required to get a derm residency). Or, if you think that you might, maybe, perhaps like to do your internal med residency at NYU, you could schedule to do an away rotation at NYU, and see if you like that program. Stuff like that.

However, it really does depend on your own situation. Your dean will be able to discuss this with you when the time comes.

As for getting excited about Jefferson...what do you want to know?

As for getting excited about Jefferson...what do you want to know?

Okay ... I'll ask a few questions. I apologize in advance if any of these have been answered already in this or other theads.

1. In your opinion, what is the best/worst first year class?

2. You have said in other threads that you have not found Jeff's large class size to be a disadvantage. But, over your two years how many of your classmates have you really gotten to know?

3. Other than Anatomy lab and small group clinical skills type classes, does anyone really care if you opt to skip class and study at home?

4. Dress code is pretty much whatever you want to wear (within reason) to class?

5. I know you and people on other threads have said not to pre-read anything before starting school. How about The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down which I understand is required reading during the first year. Skip reading even that until school starts?

6. Would you recommend Jeff housing over finding your own apartment in Philly? I think Jeff's housing is kinda pricey and you can do better on your own. Agree or disagree?

7. I know parking in center city Philly can be kind of pricey. What do people with cars do to minimize that expense?

8. How is security around Jeff? I know it's in a good area of center city. But, are there ever occasions where we will have to be coming in very early or staying very late?

9. Do Jeff students have a favorite bar they go to unwind near campus?

10. Given the workload of a first year, should I expect to ever see the inside of that bar? :laugh:

11. If you could change anything about the MS1 experience at Jeff, what would it be?

I'm sure I'll think of some more questions as time goes on.

And come on people!! I can't be the only one with questions here! Let's give smq123 more reasons to spend time on SDN rather than study. :laugh:

And come on people!! I can't be the only one with questions here! Let's give smq123 more reasons to spend time on SDN rather than study. :laugh:

Well, I'm hoping that krebse and Buntybrown (I do know their real names, since they're both 2nd years - but I don't know if they want to be named in public) will join in, to give you their points of view. However, they're probably diligently studying for our upcoming physical diagnosis exam. This is what I was doing...but I can't listen to another heart sound right now. I really can't. And I can hear Dr. Mangione's voice in my sleep.

1. In your opinion, what is the best/worst first year class?

Best: Neuroscience. Dr. Brainard is an amazing guy, who makes it fun, but you learn a lot. It has a huge clinical medicine component, which is probably what makes it so interesting.

Worst: I have a love-hate relationship with MP21 (or ICM-1, as the hip kids call it nowadays). It's the "Doctor-patient relationship" course. I love it because it brought me in contact with some of the best mentors a med student could ask for. But I think the class is a hodgepodge of stuff, some useful, a lot of it not. It's been revamped, though, over last summer, so we'll see. It also has a new course coordinator, so I don't know what he's done to change the course, either.

2. You have said in other threads that you have not found Jeff's large class size to be a disadvantage. But, over your two years how many of your classmates have you really gotten to know?

A surprisingly good number, even though I actually live quite far off campus (in the suburbs) and am always too tired to go out drinking after exams. (I would like to hang out more, but all I want to do the evening after an exam is curl up and sleep for 14 hours...which is usually what happens. I have no post-test stamina.) If I lived on campus, went out more often, and was more active in the really big student groups (JeffHOPE, AMSA, or the intramural sports leagues), then I would be closer friends with a larger number of my classmates. As it is, though, it's ridiculously easy to make friends with a large number of people, almost no matter what you do.

Oh! Before I forget - there was a post-match panel with 4th years who matched in int. med, peds, and med-peds. They pointed out another advantage to the big class - more alumni in other residency programs. They can put in a good word for you, or give you the insider's view on a certain residency program. It increases the number of people that you can turn to for advice.

3. Other than Anatomy lab and small group clinical skills type classes, does anyone really care if you opt to skip class and study at home?

Not really. Some of the professors will make jokes about it, and I'm sure that no one wants to lecture to an empty auditorium, but they don't take attendance or anything. Many of the professors were med students themselves once, or have been teaching med students for years, and understand.

4. Dress code is pretty much whatever you want to wear (within reason) to class?

Generally - yes. There are a few things where patients will come in to talk about their diseases, and, on those days, you need to dress professionally and wear your white coat.

5. I know you and people on other threads have said not to pre-read anything before starting school. How about The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down which I understand is required reading during the first year. Skip reading even that until school starts?

No, you can get a leg up by reading that now, if you like. I would wait until you get to Philadelphia, though, just so you can buy it cheaply off a current student, but that's just me. Or get it out of your public library.

6. Would you recommend Jeff housing over finding your own apartment in Philly? I think Jeff's housing is kinda pricey and you can do better on your own. Agree or disagree?

I'm not the best person to ask because I don't live on campus. Based on what I've seen - you get what you pay for. Jeff's housing is pricey, but you are really close to class (across the street, basically), and it's a controlled tenant list, since it's only open to TJU students. Plus, the apartments are pretty nice, and very secure.

My friend (an MS4) lives in a studio a few blocks from school. It's "farther" (= 3 blocks) but cheaper. He also has a nice view. However, it's city living. Even though there is a doorman, I had no problem breaking into the building (it's a long story). The studio is small and has no oven (just 2 burners on a stovetop). This is bizarre, to me, but he uses a toaster oven and says it's not a problem. Plus...it IS city living. He told me once that, a few months ago, he hated it when the elevator stopped on the 12th floor because there was a strange odor that wafted into the elevator, but he couldn't quite place the smell. Turns out that the guy in 1215 had been dead for a week and a half before someone called the police. (Gross, but true.)

It depends on your own situation (do you want roommates? are you living with a girlfriend/boyfriend/spouse?), how much money you have, and what apartments are available for rent when you look. I will add, however, that living in Orlowitz and Barringer is a good way to get to know everyone, at least for your first year.

7. I know parking in center city Philly can be kind of pricey. What do people with cars do to minimize that expense?

Um...leave their cars at their parents house? Honestly, I don't know. I really don't know that many people who have cars. You'd have to ask someone else.

8. How is security around Jeff? I know it's in a good area of center city. But, are there ever occasions where we will have to be coming in very early or staying very late?

It depends on where you live. If you live in Barringer, Orlowitz, or near the campus...it's a block or two. And security will escort you from the library to nearby points, if you want them to.

Otherwise, if you're coming back from a bar or a club, many people walk home together in groups.

For 3rd year, since you might be taking public transportation to other parts of the city, though, they recommend that you arrange a "subway buddy" for your surgery rotations (which start at 5:30 am).

There are lots of people walking around at night close to school. There are restaurants nearby and, more importantly, the city's major gay nightclubs - there are always groups of people (mostly guys) hanging around 12th/13th Street at night.

9. Do Jeff students have a favorite bar they go to unwind near campus?

10. Given the workload of a first year, should I expect to ever see the inside of that bar? :laugh:

Some people like Doc Watson's, which is around the corner. It's a nice bar, and designed with students in mind. Locust Bar is also nearby, but it's kind of a "dive" bar. Some people like it, though.

The thing about Jefferson that I really like (compared to other schools) is the exam schedule. We have exams ~ once a month, so there are weekends where you'll be able to take an evening off and go out. Plus, we ALWAYS have a post-exam party that is arranged by Student Council, and it's held at one of the bars in Philadelphia - Old City or Rittenhouse, usually. Most people go to those, unless the exam falls right before a major holiday and people are too busy with travel plans. The post-exam parties are great opportunities to bond with your classmates. We want you to stay sane.

11. If you could change anything about the MS1 experience at Jeff, what would it be?

I would get rid of the tests. And (if I pushed my luck a little more) made it free of charge.

Seriously - med school can be a lot of fun, and very interesting. I think, especially during 2nd year, I'd probably WANT to study, at least a little, because so much of what we learn is fascinating. But the stress of the exams definitely takes away from some of that.

I don't like being in debt, but I don't dwell on it too much. Whatever.

If I had to say something realistic...I'd probably make an introductory booklet/website that teaches people how to study for anatomy. I think that the learning curve for anatomy is really steep, and anything to lessen it is useful. Things like dissection techniques, how to correctly read an MRI/CT, etc. That would have been nice.

I think that's it for now. Now, back to lung sounds.

so yeah, I'm getting into Philly thursday at 12, so I'll probably arrive in center city sometime after 1... any advice on what to do before the reception starts?