Jefferson Class of 2011 Class thread...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maestro1625

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey, Im a junior and hoping to go to Jefferson. What are your stats? Thanks man.

Members don't see this ad :)
Recently was accepted. I dont know for sure if I'm going, mainly because im still waiting to hear from other schools, but i definitely loved Jeff and I definitely would love to attend, and its looking more and more like I will be attending!

well the housing application found its way to my mailbox today... Most of the students were positive enough about (non-Martin) on campus housing. And given the fact that the total number of times in my life I've been to Philly is 1 (yes, the interview), I'm not sure what to compare it to.

The on campus housing is certainly convenient, but it's pricey. There is no shortage of apartments in center city Phladelphia within easy walking distance of Jefferson. You can do a lot better price-wise.

Congrats, guys. I'm still waiting to hear from them post-secondary. I'm thinking they are passive-aggressively saying "Not this cycle."

i guess i'll get to meet those of u who make it to jeff this fall. i also just got my housing app but i gotta look elsewhere since they don't let your SO stay with u. any recommendations for some nice n SAFE apts close to jeff? lol

i would also like to know when the second look weekend is - if anyone has an idea

i guess i'll get to meet those of u who make it to jeff this fall. i also just got my housing app but i gotta look elsewhere since they don't let your SO stay with u. any recommendations for some nice n SAFE apts close to jeff? lol

i would also like to know when the second look weekend is - if anyone has an idea

Looking forward to meeting all you guys in August. Jeff was my number one choice and I am soooooo excited to have been accepted!

Michaelovo, can't give you any specifics on apartments but there are a ton of them in Center City Philly. You might want to post in the med student forum to get some specific recommendations.

Changing subjects ...

WHERE ARE ALL THE JEFFERSON PEOPLE?????

Come on, this thread is pathetic compared to most of the other schools! Where is everyone? Post! Introduce yourself! Share your excitement! Let's get some action going here. Represent!!!

Hi - welcome to Jeff! I'm a current MS2.

For housing: There are some places to look online. Craig's List is always useful (for reference, Jefferson is at 11th and Walnut-ish, so nearby streets would be Pine, Spruce, Locust, Arch, Race). The Philadelphia Weekly also has an online classifieds section. (philadelphiaweekly.com, I think.) Some people live at the Ben Franklin, which is very close to school, but also very expensive. The Victory Building is right across the street from the hospital, but also pretty expensive. But there are lots of affordable options.

Second look weekend, last year, was April 20th, I think. It's usually around mid- to late- April.

Come on, this thread is pathetic compared to most of the other schools! Where is everyone? Post! Introduce yourself! Share your excitement! Let's get some action going here. Represent!!!

I'm glad someone else is as excited about next year as I am!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi - welcome to Jeff! I'm a current MS2

Hi smq. Any advice you can give to us soon-to-be MS1s? There have a number of threads on here where people ask if they should try to get a head start on classes by doing some pre-reading. The response is typically "No, you'll be swamped soon enough, just enjoy your last few months of freedom." Do you agree? Is there anything we can/should do to prepare for our first year at Jeff?

For housing: There are some places to look online. Craig's List is always useful (for reference, Jefferson is at 11th and Walnut-ish, so nearby streets would be Pine, Spruce, Locust, Arch, Race).

Just to help complete the list, other nearby streets: Chestnut and Market.

I'm glad someone else is as excited about next year as I am!

Excited beyond words! But seriously, where is everyone else? Either very few Jeff applicants belong to SDN or they need to start checking for pulses at the interviews. :laugh:

I have also been accepted. I have not completely made up by mind, but I really loved Jefferson when I visited so it is still first :).

Hi smq. Any advice you can give to us soon-to-be MS1s? There have a number of threads on here where people ask if they should try to get a head start on classes by doing some pre-reading. The response is typically "No, you'll be swamped soon enough, just enjoy your last few months of freedom." Do you agree? Is there anything we can/should do to prepare for our first year at Jeff?

I don't recommend pre-reading. The anatomy course is not devised around any particular textbook, so you'll probably find yourself doing a lot of reading for nothing. For instance, a lot of anatomy textbooks start with the chest and thorax, but Dr. Schmidt starts on the back first. Plus, by studying on your own, you'll probably never go into the amount of detail that they want you to go into.

If you'd like to get a small head-start, you can teach yourself standard anatomical terminology: dorsal, ventral, superior, anterior, distal, flexion, extension, abduction, adduction, etc.

They might still want you to read "The Spirit Catches you and you fall down." If so, read it before school starts and get it over with.

Sorry for the really long, wordy post. But here it goes, anyway:

Words of advice (for after classes actually start):

1) Buy the anatomy BRS and use it for the questions. These are nothing like the questions you'll see on the exam and quizzes, but these questions will show you the level of detail that you are expected to learn. This will prevent a heart attack later, when you get your first quiz grade back. (People have gotten a 42% on those things. The quizzes aren't worth much, grade-wise, but they're designed to put the fear of God into you.)

2) You might want to buy a heavy-duty canvas gardening smock to wear during anatomy lab. It might help keep the formaldehyde from seeping through your scrubs onto your skin. (It'll also keep the front of your scrubs a little cleaner.) The professors wear plastic disposable aprons that they change everyday, but that's too expensive for a student. The canvas smock is enough. Even better yet, if you have that floor-length, water-proof canvas apron that they gave out in organic chem lab, that's even better.

3) PRINT THIS AND PASTE IT TO YOUR ANATOMY BINDER: Don't waste time trying to devise a good "study strategy" for anatomy. A lot of people did this, including me, and it's a big, big mistake. Just jump right in and get that information into your brain somehow, any way possible. It really doesn't matter how you learn the material, JUST LEARN IT.

If it takes more than 45 seconds to describe your study routine, you're probably over-thinking it. I definitely made this mistake - don't make it too.

4) Lab is a difficult issue. It takes a lot of time to do the dissections, but you also need a lot of time to study the structures and learn how to identify them. Some people can learn how to ID the structures as they are digging them out. These people also studied for the practical by spending lots of time in lab. I wasn't one of those people. I found lab to be uncomfortable (there aren't many opportunities to sit down), and the longer I spent in lab, the more fatigued I got, and the less I learned. I still went to lab, but I studied for the practicals at home, with Rohen's photographic atlas. These are huge photographs of professionally dissected bodies. (They look EXACTLY like the specimans that you must ID on the actual practical - the professors dissect out what they want you to ID.) By covering the labels on the photograph, it was very easy to test myself. I didn't get honors, but I did pass.

Other people swear by the dissection videos in the library. You have to figure out what's best for you. My point here is this: If you don't do well on the first practical (and many people don't), everyone will tell you "Spend more time in lab." I think that this advice is too simplistic. There are other ways to study for the practical besides spending 7 hours/day in lab.

5) Bring old socks (2 pairs if possible) and old t-shirts, old towels, or old ski masks/hats to lab on the first dissection day. Bring stuff that you were going to throw away anyway. You dissect the heads, the hands, and the feet last, but these are also the parts that dry out the soonest. Dry structures are not dissectable - they are too tough to cut and then they snap. By wrapping them in soaked socks/towels/hats, you'll keep them moist and pliable while you dissect out other parts of the body.

6) Don't listen to people who say that "I only studied 2 hours a day, I NEVER studied on weekends, and I still passed." And don't listen to the people who say "I studied 15 hours a day, slept 3 hours a night, and barely passed. I even had to study the weekend after an exam!"

The first group of people will make you feel unnecessarily stupid, the latter group of people will make you unnecessarily anxious. The vast majority of students fall somewhere in between. You won't have huge amounts of free time, but you will have enough to go to the gym, go food shopping, hang out with friends, etc. You just have to be smart about time management. You'll get better at it as the school year progresses.

Sorry for the long post. This is some of the stuff that I wish someone had told us when we started med school. Much of this is stuff I found out the hard way.

I hope you guys like Jefferson. It's not a perfect school (is there even such a thing?) but many of the people here are kind-hearted and sincere. There's absolutely no cut-throat competition among the people here - this is something that the Jefferson student body is really proud of. Cooperation and helping your classmates out is really important here. So post any questions, and I'll try hard to answer them. Good luck and enjoy your last few months as a pre-med student! :)

Wow! Thanks for taking the time to post all that info. I really appreciate it. No need to apologize about the long post. I love this kind of stuff. While some of it makes me a little apprehensive about the workload, I am so looking forward to getting started! I wonder if I'll still feel the same way once the first anatomy test is two days away. :laugh:

Thanks again, and feel free to post anything else that comes to mind that would be helpful to the class of 2011.

Hey again,

So yeah just wondering if there was a second look day. Also whats the deal with housing, seems to be that off campus is considerably cheaper and better? Im pretty excited, i really fell in love with the school after the interview!

Hey again,

So yeah just wondering if there was a second look day. Also whats the deal with housing, seems to be that off campus is considerably cheaper and better? Im pretty excited, i really fell in love with the school after the interview!

Hello - Yes, 2nd look day is usually mid to late April. Off campus housing isn't necessarily cheaper, because it really depends on what you're looking for. If you prefer to live alone, and don't mind living in a studio, then yes, off-campus housing is better. If you're married, or plan on living with your boyfriend/girlfriend, then your only option is off-campus housing. If you don't mind living with a roommate, then on-campus housing may be much cheaper. It all depends on your situation.

There are other housing options (med school frats, if you're a guy or a really confident girl; Martin, if you loved living in the dorms in college), so, again, you'll need a little time to look around at what's available.

thanks for the reply. Sorry to keep asking questions, but is there a deadline for housing apps? will they send me info on all that in the mail? i only recently submiteed my $100 to hold my spot. Thanks.

thanks for the reply. Sorry to keep asking questions, but is there a deadline for housing apps? will they send me info on all that in the mail? i only recently submiteed my $100 to hold my spot. Thanks.

No - I think that you're guaranteed housing if you get your housing app in by May 31st.

You can send in a housing app right now if you want. I don't think that it's strictly necessary, but you certainly can.

http://www.jefferson.edu/housing/policies.cfm , then click on "APPLY TODAY" on the left hand menu bar.

Hope this helps.

Hey all!

I got into Jefferson this past week and I am pretty set on going. Very exciting. For all those not from the Philly area-- its a great city with lots of young people.
congrats to everyone else...my future classmates!!

someone say something!

something. hahah........ :oops:

Yeah, this thread is not real active, is it? Maybe it'll pick up as time goes on.

Well, in the interest of keeping your interest piqued...

1) Based on what I've seen while standing in line at the registrar's office, the class of 2011 has its orientation from Aug. 6-10th, with the white coat ceremony on Aug. 10th. (The white coat ceremony is nice. Hopefully everyone's family/SO can make it.)

2) Your first day of actual class is August 13th.

3) You'll get more info on this later, but the school requires health insurance coverage that is similar to the the health insurance plan that they offer. In other words, you can keep your current insurance as long as it covers the same stuff that the school's health plan covers. The school's plan (by Chickering insurance) is fine, but I think it's too expensive. I searched around a little this past summer and found an alternate, cheaper plan that they accepted. You must have insurance, though, by the time you register. A lot of students just go with the school's insurance because it's less hassle.

The school requires prescription drug coverage and mental health coverage. I don't remember if it's outpatient or inpatient.

I used this website to look around:
https://www.ehealthinsurance.com/ehi/Alliance?allid=Goo18811&sid=COMPARE

Is august 13th a relatively early start to classes compared to other schools? Do most start in August or do most start in September?

Hi smq,

Just wanted to thank you for taking the time to post in this thread. I know med students don't have much free time, so I really appreciate you spending some of yours posting here. Getting informaton/advice/tips from someone who has already gone through it all is really helpful!

When I get there next year I'll have to buy you a beer! Assuming, that is, that I have the time or the money! :laugh: :laugh:

i was just wondering, you know that phyiscal form we have to fill out with all our health info, can they actually turn you down for something you list on that form? Like if your blood pressure is to high or something like that. Why do they actually need to know all that stuff. Just wondering.

i was just wondering, you know that phyiscal form we have to fill out with all our health info, can they actually turn you down for something you list on that form? Like if your blood pressure is to high or something like that. Why do they actually need to know all that stuff. Just wondering.

No they cant turn you dont for anything like that....thats kinda against the law. The reason they ask for those forms is so that they can keep them in the health services offices with your file there. Its kinda like going to a doctor for the first time because you can go there any time your sick and they will help you out. They also definitely wanna make sure your up to date on your immunizations considering who knows what you'll be exposed to.

So, i'm in a pickle. I didn't realize it would be this salty in here... but it is... and it sucks.

Anyway, I have to choose btween Jefferson and UMDNJ-RWJ. Right now, I am leaning towards going to my state school. I will give you $10 if you can convince me to come to Jeff. Please get me out of this pickle.

:thumbup:

I'm a PGY 3 in anesthesia. Loved my time at Jeff. Great location, great facilities, teaching and clinical expereinces are the same as you will find anywhere. I am more than pleased to have graduated from Jeff. I was an average student, average grades and managed to match at my #1 choice for anesthesia at BIDMC in Boston. I really have no regrets whatsoever.

Regarding housing... The options are limitless. There are people who have family money that live in brownstones on Rittenhouse, there are people that cram 3 into a one bedroom, there are a few that actually live in martin for 4 years. What I did, and what I would recommend to someone that feels they might "fit in" to the environement was to live in one of the frat houses. There are 5 at Jeff, they each take approx 20 students (from all classes). they are old, huge houses, all right in the neighborhood. When I started in 2000 my rent was $150, when I graduated, it was $200. That covered all utilities, cable (every channel imaginable), cable internet, and all the beer one could drink. You have a built in social network, and lots of handy advice as to professor's preferences, study help, and clinical scheduling tips.

The house I lived in is Phi Alpha Sigma. 313 S 10th st. It has been the home of our frat since WWII (just for info, the frat has been in existence since 1899, eighteen99!). 17 bedrooms. 6 bathrooms. great roof deck, grill, nice common areas, and a decent basement bar. Good Times. Its not the Ritz, but the guys are decent, and it is as cheap a place to live as you will EVER find.

If you think this might be for you, check out the website www.phialphasigma.org

If you are really interested, there is some competition for getting in. No Frat rush, no hazing, these are not like undergrad frats, but each house only takes 3-5 people per year. Most people arrive at jeff, and then the realize that the houses are an option. At that point, it's too late. Many spots get filled by friends or aquaintances of current/past members. Again, if you are really interested, you need to contact the guys at the houses. The website above will tell you how. Definately stop by and check the place out. When I lived there, we filled all our open spots by having prospective students hang out with the guys who lived there. ie, people would come and hang out for a night, or a weekend or two. Second look weekend is a great time to do this, but you have make contact prior.

Also, these houses are completely independent. They are not affiliated with the school in any way. They are privately owned, and at least my house had been mortgage free since the 50's. Just for those of you who may be wondering if this is on the up and up... Dean Nasca was a four year resident of my old house, and served as president of the fraternity.

Good Luck to you all.

john

So, i'm in a pickle. I didn't realize it would be this salty in here... but it is... and it sucks.

Anyway, I have to choose btween Jefferson and UMDNJ-RWJ. Right now, I am leaning towards going to my state school. I will give you $10 if you can convince me to come to Jeff. Please get me out of this pickle.

:thumbup:

No one can really decide for you. What do you want out of a medical career? If you love basic science research, you should probably go to RWJ, which has a strong research background. Not that Jefferson doesn't have good researchers, but mostly in specific areas (oncology, orthopedics, ophtho, and derm). Jefferson has a better clinical focus, with a really strong community health/public health/primary care slant.

Jefferson has a lot of housing on-campus. I don't think that RWJ does. Also, Jefferson is an urban campus (although in a "nicer" part of town) while I think RWJ is very suburban. Which do you prefer?

I can really only speak for Jefferson, b/c I never even applied to UMDNJ. The students here are really nice - driven and motivated, without being cut-throat and sneaky. I don't know what they're like at RWJ.

I'm very curious, though. If RWJ is your state school, it seems to me that most people would not even have to debate which school to go to - RWJ is almost certainly MUCH cheaper than Jefferson. Why are you currently so conflicted? What is it about RWJ that you don't like or feel comfortable with?

Well, in the interest of keeping your interest piqued...

1) Based on what I've seen while standing in line at the registrar's office, the class of 2011 has its orientation from Aug. 6-10th, with the white coat ceremony on Aug. 10th. (The white coat ceremony is nice. Hopefully everyone's family/SO can make it.)

Is there a limit to the number of people you can invite?

Hey everyone,
Not sure if I'll be attending Jeff in the Fall, but I was curious if Financial Aid info has been sent out?? I'm looking through my file on Jeff and don't have anything in it...latest thing I remember I received was the Fin Aid info session invite. I'm hoping I didn't accidentally throw out Fin Aid forms if they were sent...were they?? thanks!

Hey everyone,
Not sure if I'll be attending Jeff in the Fall, but I was curious if Financial Aid info has been sent out?? I'm looking through my file on Jeff and don't have anything in it...latest thing I remember I received was the Fin Aid info session invite. I'm hoping I didn't accidentally throw out Fin Aid forms if they were sent...were they?? thanks!

I haven't received any financial aid forms. Just the financial aid info session invite.

I think the max is 3.

Uh oh, 2 parents + 4 grandparents + 2 siblings + 1 boyfriend = way too many people who willl want to be there. :eek:

Has Anyone Been Placed On The Waiting List And Got Accepted??

Has Anyone Been Placed On The Waiting List And Got Accepted??

It appears they are still interviewing and offering people spots so probably a bit early for wait list movement. It's usually after the date people have to give up multiple acceptances (May 15?) that wait list movement starts at most schools.

WOHOOOOOOOOOOOO! Jefferson was my number one choice and I am stoked that I got accepted. I think the school is great and I think the location is awesome. I can not wait to meet everyone and start classes.

To add my two cents to the housing discussion, I think I am going to buy a one bedroom apt, hopefully nearby. I suppose for most people its hard to think about where they would do their residency but since I grew up around Philly, I totally wouldn't mind staying in the region so instead of renting for (hopefully) eight years, I think buying a place makes sense. That said, I am finding it pretty hard to find a reasonably priced one bedroom condo that isn't the size of a closet! If anyone has any insight, please let me know!

Hey guys!

Glad I finally found this thread! As someone recently accepted to Jefferson I'm extremely excited. I love Philly, the school really impressed me, and I'm just really anticipating this experience :love:

In terms of finding a place; I was really thinking of finding a 1 bedroom apartment nearby, and I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how long beforehand should I start looking for an apartment? I have family in Philly I can stay by while I search, but I'd really like to know if I should start searching from like June or July?

Also, I'm always interested in knowing what current students do to blow off some steam. I mean, I know that we're definitely not going to have a whole lot of idle time on our hands :p but since it will be a new city experience for me, are there any suggestions on nice eating/lounges/entertainment places nearby?

Thanks guys...look forward to meeting all of you in the Fall!!! :D

Congrats guys and welcome! I'm an MSI here at Jeff so I can try to answer questions you may have. Enjoy this time and be lazy!! :D

Hey everyone,

I was accepted Jan 10 and received my financial aid packet in the mail a few days ago. It's useless because I am an international student :).