Jefferson Class of 2011 Class thread...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i'll be starting @ jeff in the fall. to any current students: do you recommend the health insurance package offered by the school? any comments regarding this topic would be appreciated. also, is there a particular bank in close proximity to campus that is recommended?

Congrats on getting in!!! Regarding the health insurance, I got the one recommended by the school and so far they've been really good about paying for the bills. It's expensive though (IMHO) !!:eek:

I've only been here for 1 year so maybe other people can answer your banking questions better. There's a td bank north really close to campus (i guess you already know this since you came for the interview :D), they're ok. Also some people use PNC. I guess that if it's just for checking accounts there's not much to look for (td reimburses you for atm usage once a month so that's nice, and you also accumulate points with the card), except that they don't screw you with fees and things like that. You can research all that in their webpages.
Hope that helps!!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on getting in!!! Regarding the health insurance, I got the one recommended by the school and so far they've been really good about paying for the bills. It's expensive though (IMHO) !!:eek:

I've only been here for 1 year so maybe other people can answer your banking questions better. There's a td bank north really close to campus (i guess you already know this since you came for the interview :D), they're ok. Also some people use PNC. I guess that if it's just for checking accounts there's not much to look for (td reimburses you for atm usage once a month so that's nice, and you also accumulate points with the card), except that they don't screw you with fees and things like that. You can research all that in their webpages.
Hope that helps!!

thanks for the response.

Hey Jeffersonians!

I got accepted a while back in April and was pretty much planning on going to Jeff...until today when I received a phone call telling me that I have been selected off of the Tufts waitlist. I think the schools are fairly comparable, so it's a hard decision. Anyone have any feedback in either direction? I'm just trying to make a large pros/cons list...so any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Last edited:
has anyone gotten any info on on campus housing yet? when do we choose this and how soon can we move in?

I decided to rent a studio apt. off campus, but i did fil out the campus housing just in case i decided to opt out of the studio and I still haven't gotten my housing assignment yet.

Hope that helps!!

Thanks for the info. Yes its so expensive, as an undergrad I was only paying about $450 a semester. I think this insurance is over $2,000. Por que?!?!

Thanks for the info. Yes its so expensive, as an undergrad I was only paying about $450 a semester. I think this insurance is over $2,000. Por que?!?!

You don't have to use the school's insurance. You can go with something cheaper if you find it. However, your insurance needs to be comparable to what the school offers - i.e. offer similar coverage. Specifically, it has to cover mental health costs (inpatient and outpatient), prescriptions, and the other basic stuff.

For some people (particularly smokers or anyone with any long standing health problems), the school insurance might be better and cheaper. For other people, though, it's worth spending the extra hour or 2 on the internet searching for better insurance.

Our insurance is pretty comprehensible. Keep in mind that you have to be covered against all the nasty things that can happen in the hospital and such. So far it's been good for me and has paid for everything with no troubles.

I have always had a wachovia account and there was a wachovia actually in Jeff hospital until about christmas...now i have to walk about 4 blocks to a branch on broad street but it's no big deal since I don't have to use it much. There is a wachovia atm in the superfresh where i get my groceries which is convenient. I'd say PNC might be your best bet if you want to start with a new bank. There is a pnc right next door to Barringer. Also, the atm's in the Wawa by Barringer only charge your bank's fee...so they're only ~2 dollars to use and not 4 dollars like usual (those atm's are PNC atms and they are subsidized by wawa i think).

hey there, can any current Jeff students that have compatible alternative (and cheaper) health insurance let me know the name of the plan so that I can do some comparative research? Even though its more convenient, I don't think I want to spend so much on the school's plan considering that I'm hardly ever in need of medical attention (knock on wood):D

someone...anyone? :D (crickets chirping in background):laugh:

someone...anyone? :D (crickets chirping in background):laugh:

Sorry for the delay! I went to ehealthinsurance.com and searched for insurance. The first thing that I did, though, was to go to the chickering insurance website and see what the insurance needs to cover. I don't know if the website has changed this year, but last year we had to answer a bunch of questions about what our insurance coverage covered. I use United Healthcare / Golden Rule Plan 100, and it seems to be fine.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Guys, I just had a quick question. Does anyone know which textbooks we have to buy? Is there a list posted somewhere online?

I'm hoping to buy them online instead of at the bookstore.

Hey Guys, I just had a quick question. Does anyone know which textbooks we have to buy? Is there a list posted somewhere online?

The only courses where you are "required" to buy textbooks (in the 1st year) is anatomy and neuroscience. Neuroscience isn't until May, so you can wait on that one. Anatomy may list the books that they recommend, but only on the pulse website. I don't know if you have access to your anatomy course yet. JeffIT usually doesn't "add" the new class roster until a few days before the class actually starts.

Even textbooks that are labeled "required" are not always truly required. The bookstore return policy is more lenient for required textbooks (as opposed to recommended ones). Some professors designate textbooks as required for this specific reason.

When you get to Jefferson for registration, you can go to the bookstore and see which textbooks are required. You can then order them online then - I can't imagine that it will take more than 3-4 days to get delivered. (At least I hope not!) Since orientation is a week long, you'll have some time before really needing to use the textbook. Plus, you'll be receiving a set of pre-printed class notes on the first day of class, and those are (temporarily) more important than the textbook.

I think I posted something about useful textbooks earlier in the thread.

Good luck! :)

Definitely wait on buying the textbooks. Only a few are really useful. Your syllabus will basically be your textbook in most classes (except anatomy). For example, I may have referenced my 90 dollar anatomy textbook once over 12 weeks...and now i'm stuck with this silly thing. I never opened a book in biochem, nor physio, nor neuro. You have so much to learn from your syllabus that dealing with a textbook is nearly overwhelming. Only a couple of books were really necessary for me over the year:

Netter's atlas
The Embryology book they require for anatomy
Behavioral medicine book for ICM
Color Atlas of Anatomy (good for practicals)

All of these you can probably get second hand anyway from students once you get here. I think the AMA gives away Netter's atlases for joining anyway. Hope this helps.

aaaaaaaaaaaaa

Last edited:
I wouldnt worry about books too much yet. Just take a look at the books when you get to orientation plus youll get plenty of recommendations from other students (if you are really eager, check out the AOA page on Jeffline...just go to the Jeffline tab on Pulse, select JMC students under My Jeffline and then find the guides to the first year). Also will give you an idea of whats going to happen first year. Also, the bookstore does give you a 10% discount on the list price of the books so unless youre going to look for used book, the prices in the bookstore are generally better than online. Hope this helps! Enjoy the rest of your summer! :)

Hello,

Anyone have any information about when tuition is due and when we are supposed to receive financial aid money. I know that orientation starts on the 6th, but that's about all the information I have. I'm feeling like there should be more info for the incoming students...Thanks.

Hello,

Anyone have any information about when tuition is due and when we are supposed to receive financial aid money. I know that orientation starts on the 6th, but that's about all the information I have. I'm feeling like there should be more info for the incoming students...Thanks.

I know you feel like you're out of the loop, but most of it is already taken care of when you get here. Tuition is automatically deducted from your finaid (depending on how much you receive). You'll likely receive your finaid refunds a couple of days before orientation starts...you can call the office to find out when.

Don't worry about being late paying for tuition...they won't let you.

Last year orientation started right around August 1st, and we received our refund checks on July 31st I think. You'll get a letter in your mailbox that says your refund is ready to be picked up...and then you just head to the 6th floor of the library to get it.

For those of you that are borrowing the entire cost of attendance like me, you don't have to worry about paying any school bills (you do have to pay rent, electricity and cable bills though). Tuition, health insurance, dental insurance, etc is all taken out of the check that they receive from your lender, and then they refund the rest to you. You'll get two refunds, one at the beginning of august and one around christmas break. If you're borrowing everything your refund will be around 9,500-10,000 dollars (I can't remember what it is exactly).

I live in a 2-bedroom in barringer and feel like i live reasonably comfortably. Probably spend around 1100-1200 dollars a month, depending on how often i go out and stuff. I usually have nearly a 1000 dollars left over at the end of a semester. You can either give that money back to the lender, save it, or blow it all in a few weeks of craziness which is usually what i end up doing. Although for spring semester I saved what I could and then used that money to pay some of my rent during the summer...yeah they don't give you any money for the summer. But don't worry about it, there are a lot of options.

You've probably realized that you can't borrow the total cost of attendance from staffords. I use the Federal Grad plus loan to borrow the rest, i think it's the best option. If you need more than the COA, then you have to borrow privately.

If you've taken care of all your finaid stuff then really all you need to do is worry about moving in which can be something of an adventure. Orlowitz and Barringer each have one freight elevator...keep that in mind if you're moving in on a popular day for moving.

Ikea, Target, Lowes and all that stuff is on S. Columbus Blvd. there is a Kmart and a CVS/Rite aid 2 blocks away.

Parking is expensive in the city. But when you are moving in you can get a pass to park behind barringer or next to Orlowitz.

If your parents want to take you to a mid-range decent meal after you move in I would recommend Jones on 7th and Chestnut.

Getting your internet working was a bit troublesome last year, our IT department isn't amazingly on the ball. You have to go to the department and they set your computer up for you. the earlier you do it, the better.

The reason this post is so long is that I remember being a bit confused about what I should be doing when I was in your place, and I'm hoping this will make you feel a bit better.

and finally...get excited! First year is hard but it's fun. Hit the ground running in anatomy and you'll be fine.

So I'm about to sign a lease for a place in the "art condo". It looks relatively nice from the website and pictures. Does anybody know any inside info on this place?

So I'm about to sign a lease for a place in the "art condo". It looks relatively nice from the website and pictures. Does anybody know any inside info on this place?

Is that the Arts Condo? 1324 Locust? I know something about the building before they started carving it up for condos, but I don't know what it's like now. Are you renting a studio or an actual condo?

there are a few reviews on this site...but i don't know anything about the place. i don't know of any Jeff students living there.

http://www.apartmentratings.com/rat...s-Condominium-formerly-Arts-Tower-601263.html

Other options include The Ben Franklin, The Victory, and The Cosmopolitan (the cosmo has pretty good studios at reasonable prices).

Is that the Arts Condo? 1324 Locust? I know something about the building before they started carving it up for condos, but I don't know what it's like now. Are you renting a studio or an actual condo?

yea..that's the one. I'm renting a studio for 900 with all utilities included. I saw some mix review for it online, but that seem to be the case for every other apartment complex. I just want to make sure im not signing up for a dump.

yea..that's the one. I'm renting a studio for 900 with all utilities included. I saw some mix review for it online, but that seem to be the case for every other apartment complex. I just want to make sure im not signing up for a dump.

It's not a dump. It's pretty nice and really close to school. I heard that it wasn't so great when it was carved up into tiny apts/studios, but condos should be better.

Did anyone get their 'campus key' yet? The link is fuct up.

^ about six months ago. It came buried in an email about financial aid.

I went to the arts condo for a moving sale. The building is gorgeous. It seems like a very secure place with a guard on 24 hour security. I went to a studio and it was tiny. But for one person it shouldn't be a problem.

c/o 2011

Soon to be classmates...

If there is anyone living out in the burbs (or on campus) and they are looking for something to do the Saturday after the white coat, my wife and I are having a BBQ at our new house from 3-7. Its a only a short ride on the R2 (less than 20 min) and the house is right around the corner from the train stop. We'll have lots of food, a keg of suds and at least some type of alcohol based slush to beat the heat, so stop on by and fill your belly and prime your liver for a night out in Philly. Drop me an email ([email protected]) if you think you might stop by or if you have questions. See you all Monday!

James

Hey everyone -

For those of you who read the Health section on the online version of the New York Times, you might have seen that they recently did an expert Q&A with Dr. Richard Wender, who is the current president of the American Cancer Society. (http://science.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/07/28/readers-questions-cancer/) Dr. Wender is also the chair of the Family Med department. Just wanted to introduce one of the names that you might hear around campus here and there in the coming weeks!

Good luck in your last few days as a pre-med!

Hi future classmates,

I was supposed to enter with the class of 2010, but deferred admission until next fall. I will be in Philly for a med chem conference at the Westin Oct 28-30. I actually fly in early Saturday (tomorrow) and will be in town by noon. Is anyone interested in meeting up for lunch or dinner? I plan on visiting campus again because I didn't see much the day of my interview. I also plan on checking out housing at "The Ben". Does anyone have any other apartment suggestions...I have a small dog that will be coming with me! I would love to meet up with current students to discuss how you like it so far, ect. Let me know! I probably will have intermittent email access so the best way to reach me is my cell. It's 617-549-0312. Thanks!!
Amanda

PS. I'll pack a Halloween costume just in case there is a party that I could go to :).