Jefferson DPT Interview 18-19 Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BVeras74

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have recently received the chance to interview for Jefferson's DPT program. Can anyone who has gone through their interview process share their interview experience and share any advice on how to prepare for the day. Also, is it recommended to interview early since they are rolling admission?

I was also wondering if any current students or alumni who are seeing this would be available to answer some more specific questions about their Jefferson's DPT experience?

Members don't see this ad.

Good Afternoon,

I interviewed with Jefferson's DPT program last Thursday (10/4). I chose the earliest interview date because I did not want to wait. I do not know whether they choose more applicants from the first few interview days or spread it evenly throughout all their interview dates. My gut feeling is that you'll generally have a better chance of getting an acceptance in the early interviews as opposed to the later interview sessions this year. Jefferson does an excellent job of being transparent with their admissions process. They informed us at the end of Interview day on when they will be making their admission decisions and when to expect the decisions to be released. They know that we're all eagerly awaiting their response, so they do a good job of being quick with them.

There were about 16-17 candidates interviewing on that particular day, whom were from various educational backgrounds and lived all across the country. Jefferson is HUGE on inter-professional collaboration and utilize group interviews. Depending on your group assignment, you'll either be interviewed by 3 faculty members (1 PT school, 2 admissions office faculty) or Don Sharples and Susan Wainwright (PT director and Admissions director). Expect the typical questions (why PT, why Jefferson, what separates you as a candidate). They also ask questions specifically about leadership and teamwork. You are interviewing with two other students simultaneously, but don't let that deter you.

I would recommend interviewing as early as possible. Jefferson is one of the larger programs with 65 seats, but I can imagine that those seats fill up fast. As for interview day, I think it's best to be relaxed. The group interview can seem daunting, and at times it does feel like you're on stage. Don't be afraid to take a moment to collect your thoughts, don't rush to be the first to answer. Be calm, courteous, and show your passion for Physical Therapy.

Reactions: 1 user
Good Afternoon,

I interviewed with Jefferson's DPT program last Thursday (10/4). I chose the earliest interview date because I did not want to wait. I do not know whether they choose more applicants from the first few interview days or spread it evenly throughout all their interview dates. My gut feeling is that you'll generally have a better chance of getting an acceptance in the early interviews as opposed to the later interview sessions this year. Jefferson does an excellent job of being transparent with their admissions process. They informed us at the end of Interview day on when they will be making their admission decisions and when to expect the decisions to be released. They know that we're all eagerly awaiting their response, so they do a good job of being quick with them.

There were about 16-17 candidates interviewing on that particular day, whom were from various educational backgrounds and lived all across the country. Jefferson is HUGE on inter-professional collaboration and utilize group interviews. Depending on your group assignment, you'll either be interviewed by 3 faculty members (1 PT school, 2 admissions office faculty) or Don Sharples and Susan Wainwright (PT director and Admissions director). Expect the typical questions (why PT, why Jefferson, what separates you as a candidate). They also ask questions specifically about leadership and teamwork. You are interviewing with two other students simultaneously, but don't let that deter you.

I would recommend interviewing as early as possible. Jefferson is one of the larger programs with 65 seats, but I can imagine that those seats fill up fast. As for interview day, I think it's best to be relaxed. The group interview can seem daunting, and at times it does feel like you're on stage. Don't be afraid to take a moment to collect your thoughts, don't rush to be the first to answer. Be calm, courteous, and show your passion for Physical Therapy.
I'm also interviewing at Thomas Jefferson. What is the dress code for the interview like? and should there be anything I should prepare for? thanks!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Good Afternoon,

Awesome information thanks you! When did the program say that they were going to make their admissions decisions by and when they will be released? Also, where did you hear that it is recommended to interview early. I have a friend that was admitted to their MD program and they gave him the same advice, but when I spoke to Don he said that they were going to open up January and February interview dates. Just trying to figure this all around because i'm in the middle of my school semester.

Awesome information thanks you! When did the program say that they were going to make their admissions decisions by and when they will be released? Also, where did you hear that it is recommended to interview early. I have a friend that was admitted to their MD program and they gave him the same advice, but when I spoke to Don he said that they were going to open up January and February interview dates. Just trying to figure this all around because i'm in the middle of my school semester.

It's a simple numbers game. In the first few interviews, there are 65 seats available. By the time you get to January/February, there are typically less seats available. I'm not quite sure how many applicants Jefferson accepts from each interview. But, simple logic would tell you that the later you wait, the less of a chance you have. Keep in mind that the PT school admissions process is likely different than their Medical school admissions process.

As for their announcements, they did not clearly say when they would announce them. They met on the Monday following my interview date to make their decisions, but did not say when they would make the announcements. They are a rolling admissions program, so they will be accepting students as the year goes on. I'm expecting to have a decision from them before Christmas time.

Hope this helps!

I'm also interviewing at Thomas Jefferson. What is the dress code for the interview like? and should there be anything I should prepare for? thanks!!

Every single PT school interview is business formal. That means suits for the guys and whatever is considered formal for the ladies (I'm a guy so I'm not quite sure what they wear).

Be prepared for questions about teamwork, adversity, and the typical interview questions like "Why PT" and "Why Jefferson" and "What makes you different as a candidate". The group interview format is a little funky. It definitely was awkward being in an interview with other students (especially considering some of their questions). Just roll with the punches, stay calm, be yourself; and you'll do fine.

Good Afternoon,

I also interviewed 10/4. Have you heard back from them yet? They said to wait 2-3 weeks but today is the last day of that 3rd week! Getting super anxious!

I also interviewed 10/4. Have you heard back from them yet? They said to wait 2-3 weeks but today is the last day of that 3rd week! Getting super anxious!
I'm with you on that. I also interviewed on October 4th and have not heard back yet if it makes you feel any better. Very anxious as Jefferson is my top choice.

Hey guys! Current 1st year DPT student at Jefferson. AMA if you have any questions about the program or the application process in general. Best of luck to you all! Interviewing and waiting for responses from programs stinks haha

Hey guys! Current 1st year DPT student at Jefferson. AMA if you have any questions about the program or the application process in general. Best of luck to you all! Interviewing and waiting for responses from programs stinks haha
When should we expect to here back from Jefferson? I interviewed on 10/11 and have yet to here back. Getting reallll nervous because this is my top choice

I also have yet to hear back from Jefferson and I interviewed on 10/4. Getting a little nervous!! Was thinking about sending them a follow up email.

Hi! I was recently accepted to Jefferson, I’m excited because I had a great experience on the interview day! How do you like the program so far? Can you give me an idea of what your daily/weekly schedule is like, and what aspects you like/dislike about the program? I was accepted to a few other schools as well, so I want to make as informed of a decision as possible on where I will be attending. Thanks!

I called Don Sharples this past Friday (10/26) and he said the first round of decisions are being announced on Friday 11/2 or Monday (11/4).

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
When should we expect to here back from Jefferson? I interviewed on 10/11 and have yet to here back. Getting reallll nervous because this is my top choice
Honestly it varies a lot. I was part of their very first interview cohort last year and it still took me 3 weeks to hear back. They told us 3-4 weeks and for the most part that's about the time period for almost everyone.

Hi! I was recently accepted to Jefferson, I’m excited because I had a great experience on the interview day! How do you like the program so far? Can you give me an idea of what your daily/weekly schedule is like, and what aspects you like/dislike about the program? I was accepted to a few other schools as well, so I want to make as informed of a decision as possible on where I will be attending. Thanks!
So far, I think I made the right choice haha. I was also accepted to a few other schools but I went with Jeff in the end. The program is tough and intense and a step up from undergrad but it's not impossible because you have a lot of resources here and the professors are amazing and really care about you performing well. As for our daily schedule, in the summer it was Monday - Thursday (Fridays off) 8-12 and sometimes 8-3 just jam packed with anatomy and other classes. Now, it's more like Monday - Thursday 8-4 or 9-5 with half the class having integrated clinical experiences and half having off. On top of that there is a myriad of volunteer/extracurricular/work opportunities so if you like being involved, there is always something to do. I like my classmates, I like that we have our own cadaver labs with 24/7 access, I like the fact that we are in Philly, a hotspot for healthcare and as such we have countless clinical affiliations, resources and guest lecturers, and I like the fact that our main classrooms are 13/14 floors up and we have an amazing view of the city haha. I do wish the gym was a little bigger but I'm just being picky and I wish it was a little less intense (esp. in the beginning) but PT school is hard wherever you go. Overall, if I had to make that choice again I would still choose jeff.

So far, I think I made the right choice haha. I was also accepted to a few other schools but I went with Jeff in the end. The program is tough and intense and a step up from undergrad but it's not impossible because you have a lot of resources here and the professors are amazing and really care about you performing well. As for our daily schedule, in the summer it was Monday - Thursday (Fridays off) 8-12 and sometimes 8-3 just jam packed with anatomy and other classes. Now, it's more like Monday - Thursday 8-4 or 9-5 with half the class having integrated clinical experiences and half having off. On top of that there is a myriad of volunteer/extracurricular/work opportunities so if you like being involved, there is always something to do. I like my classmates, I like that we have our own cadaver labs with 24/7 access, I like the fact that we are in Philly, a hotspot for healthcare and as such we have countless clinical affiliations, resources and guest lecturers, and I like the fact that our main classrooms are 13/14 floors up and we have an amazing view of the city haha. I do wish the gym was a little bigger but I'm just being picky and I wish it was a little less intense (esp. in the beginning) but PT school is hard wherever you go. Overall, if I had to make that choice again I would still choose jeff.

Thank you, that was helpful! If you don’t mind my asking, where do you live? Do you need to commute to campus? I’m planning on moving to the East Falls area, but don’t have much experience with public transportation and hoping that is isn’t a nightmare.

Thank you, that was helpful! If you don’t mind my asking, where do you live? Do you need to commute to campus? I’m planning on moving to the East Falls area, but don’t have much experience with public transportation and hoping that is isn’t a nightmare.
I live in university city in west philly so I just take the subway over to campus. It's not a bad commute at all (20-30 mins). I know a few people that live over in East Falls/Manayunk area and they take the regional rail in. From what I've heard, regional rail can be a hassle sometimes but everyone makes it to class on time. Additionally, if you're over in the East Falls area you have access to all of Jefferson's East Fall campus (formerly Philadelphia University) with your id.

I've been looking at my email every 5 minutes. I still haven't got anything. Anyone heard anything?

Anybody else still not hear back ?

Last edited:
Still waiting to hear back. Crossing my fingers!

Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
I don't understand what is taking so long. Does a late response usually mean waitlist or rejected? I thought emails were supposed to be sent by today.

I don't understand what is taking so long. Does a late response usually mean waitlist or rejected? I thought emails were supposed to be sent by today.

I believe Jefferson sends them in the mail. Can anyone who received their acceptances confirm?

When did you interview and have you heard of anyone else receiving acceptances?

I interviewed on Oct. 11th and heard back a week later. In my group interview, we were told we would hear back within two weeks from the interview date. That’s very frustrating that they aren’t getting back to you!

When did you interview and have you heard of anyone else receiving acceptances?

Also, I have not heard of anyone else being accepted other than the other person in this thread!

I interviewed on Oct. 11th and heard back a week later. In my group interview, we were told we would hear back within two weeks from the interview date. That’s very frustrating that they aren’t getting back to you!
Yeah, it seems like nobody from the first interview date has heard yet. Very odd.

That’s so interesting because I interviewed the first date, and Don Sharples told us to expect an answer within 1-3 weeks. Now I’m going on the 5th week and I’m still waiting to hear back! Best of luck to everyone still waiting!

That’s so interesting bc I interviewed the first date, and Don Sharples told us to expect an answer within 1-3 weeks. Now I’m going on the 5th week and I’m still waiting to hear back

I interviewed a few weeks ago and heard back in about one week’s time. I assumed the quick turnaround was because my day was closer to the end. That is weird. You figure that they’d tell you either way

it’s even more frustrating because I’m from the first interview group too. Don Sharples told me over the phone that I’d hear back from them on last Friday or yesterday.

it’s even more frustrating because I’m from the first interview group too. Don Sharples told me over the phone that I’d hear back from them on last Friday or yesterday.
I agree. I was from the first group too. Do you think it would be a good idea to call again?

I agree. I was from the first group too. Do you think it would be a good idea to call again?

I personally wouldn’t call again until the end of the week, mostly because he looked up my application himself and MAY have taken note of my call. I will definitely follow up with him if I don’t hear anything back this week.

Can anyone provide any of the questions to expect besides the basics? Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Can anyone provide any of the questions to expect besides the basics? Thanks and good luck to everyone!

The two questions I had to think about for a minute were: “Explain why interprofessional collaboration with OT’s, SLP’s, PA’s, etc. is important” and “Describe yourself with a trait (or word) and why this trait will make you a good PT”

They were very understanding if you do need a minute or so to collect your thoughts!

They asked your basic questions. The only one I wasn’t prepared for was “which one of these people you’re interviewing with would you choose to be your physical therapist?”

Pro tip: don’t go with “whatever one my health insurance will cover.” Doesn’t get many laughs in my experience

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
So after today, it will be going on week 6 since my interview. I am highly considering sending them a follow-up email either tomorrow or Monday. If I do this, will I sound like I'm naggy? I don't want to come off as impatient.

So after today, it will be going on week 6 since my interview. I am highly considering sending them a follow-up email either tomorrow or Monday. If I do this, will I sound like I'm naggy? I don't want to come off as impatient.
No, I think that is perfectly acceptable.

I don't think this would be out of line at all. I was in a similar situation with a school last year. They had stated that would inform us of decision by a certain date, but didn't let us know until almost 3 weeks later.

I don't think this would be out of line at all. I was in a similar situation with a school last year. They had stated that would inform us of decision by a certain date, but didn't let us know until almost 3 weeks later.
Were they just behind on the decision making process ?