Jefferson vs. Georgetown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYMed

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So far, those are the two schools that I liked most and got into. From what I understand, Georgetown is supposed to have a slightly better reputation, but I got a better feel from Jefferson (although I liked Georgetown a lot as well). This is slightly premature, since financial aid package will probably play a large role in the decision. BUT, if you were to pick, which school would you go to and why? Thanks a lot in advance! Also, does anyone know if either of these schools offers merit scholarships? And how are their financial aid packages? All loans, or grants also? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I liked Georgetown a lot, mostly because the area was really beautiful and less urban than the area surrounding Thomas Jefferson. At the same time the rest of DC is around the corner if you need it. Also, I'd say Gtown does have a little bit of a better name. But from what I felt, both schools had really nice students and hospitals.

anyone else? your opinion means a lot. thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
NYMed said:
anyone else? your opinion means a lot. thanks!

Well, all I can say is that I know 2 doctors that went to Jefferson and they are by far, head and shoulders above the rest, the best doctors (and people) I've ever met. They loved it there, and both got the top residency in the country for their specialties.

Is anyone also chosing between those two schools? What are you basing your choices on? Thanks!

first off, congrats on the acceptances. you've heard from two good schools really early on. i wouldn't worry about deciding just yet unless you've already heard from ALL of your schools and don't care about financial aid.

personally, i would go with Georgetown, but it seems like you're leaning towards Jefferson (which I didn't apply to and don't know much about). Georgetown has a unique program, which makes it perfect for some people and not right for others.
Reasons why I (personally) liked Georgetown:
-cura personalis, ethics emphasis
-can do a MPH at Hopkins or take courses at the undergrad
-integrated with undergrad university, so there are more resources available to you than at Jeff
-great match placements (don't know about Jeff)
-I'd say it has a better reputation, but I'm not sure if that matters to you

make your own lists and see how they compare. anyway, congrats and good luck!

caffeine37 said:
first off, congrats on the acceptances. you've heard from two good schools really early on. i wouldn't worry about deciding just yet unless you've already heard from ALL of your schools and don't care about financial aid.

personally, i would go with Georgetown, but it seems like you're leaning towards Jefferson (which I didn't apply to and don't know much about). Georgetown has a unique program, which makes it perfect for some people and not right for others.
Reasons why I (personally) liked Georgetown:
-cura personalis, ethics emphasis
-can do a MPH at Hopkins or take courses at the undergrad
-integrated with undergrad university, so there are more resources available to you than at Jeff
-great match placements (don't know about Jeff)
-I'd say it has a better reputation, but I'm not sure if that matters to you

make your own lists and see how they compare. anyway, congrats and good luck!

MPH is out the window, because you can do the same w/ Jeff at Hopkins
Match Placements is also out, because they match pretty well

I'm a first year at Georgetown. I don't know too much about Jefferson, but I would only recommend Georgetown to people who actually buy into the whole cura personalis thing. Mrs. Sullivan wasn't just blowing smoke up your ass. Almost half of our lecture time is in various humanities like ethics, religions, patient/physician relationships etc. This can either be a great asset or it can be infuriating as it takes time away from your "real classes."

Georgetown is a great place to live and study, but the flipside of that is that it is very expensive. Also, no one really comes to Georgetown for the facilities which aren't awful, but certainly nothing to write home about. Finally, as I've never attended another med school, I can't really say for certain but Georgetown has a reputation for working its students hard. Our board scores and residency placements though are fairly decent. On that note I have 2 exams I need to get back to studying for :eek: . Good luck!