Jefferson

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mikesorrentino

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Overview. Jefferson takes ~15 residents a year. Several of these positions are reserved for outside the match. Usually these are filled by residents who have switched specialties.

Jefferson is located in Center City which is the most desirable part of town. Many residents live by the hospital but because of convenient train service and as they’re right off the highway, a decent amount of people live in the burbs. There are theaters, tons of restaurants, clubs and bars within a few blocks of the hospital. It’s very easy to meet for happy hour after work and we get together frequently. There’s a good mix of married and single residents. You can have any type of food delivered and when it’s slow on call we’ll go across the street to Marathon for a meal. There is a beautiful new quad across the street and we’ve been known to sunbathe or play frisbee out there on slow call days- with our pagers on of course.

One of the things that surprised me the most was the support staff at jefferson and in general, how nice everyone is. When I was an intern at another instituion, the ancillary staff sucked and unionized nurses meant nothing ever got done unless you did it yourself. Now when I’m in the SICU and I write an order, it gets done. I don’t have to transport patients for studies. I don't have to draw stat labs. I don't have to place IVs. I can call the radiology reading room to ask about a study and get a timely, pleasant response.

Cases: We have every subspecialty and are heavy in ortho, neuro, and ENT. I had all of my case numbers by 2nd year and was not worked to death. There is a surgicenter across the street that has a very private practice feel: 5 minute turnovers, high volume of cases, quick surgeons. We do living-related donor liver transplants, sick hearts, VADs, awake cranis, and trauma. We’re the regional spinal cord injury center so lots of spines. We’ve started doing robotic hearts and are hiring a robotic fellowship trained cardiac surgeon. The Rothman Institute is our orthopedics center and they are busy. We have fellowship trained regional attendings who are one our biggest strengths. You will be very comfortable doing interscalene, popliteal, supraclavicular, axillary, TAP, and femoral blocks to name a few as well as catheters. We have a rotation at Methodist where your only job is to perform blocks in the holding area. You will do 20 per day, easily. We do pediatrics at Dupont for 3 months and some days you will do 15 ENT cases before 2pm and some days you’ll do sick premies.

Didactics: Tuesday am lectures for CA-1s although anyone can come. Thursday am lecture for everybody and then ground rounds or M&M. Journal club at least once a month. Wednesday oral board review or lecture for seniors. Friday morning written board review. In my opinion getting out at 4pm most days so you can study on your own and read about your cases is the best way to improve your knowledge. The program provides ACE question booklets, book money, two conference weeks to be used for a course or a conference, and barash. We have copies of big blue and other review books in our resident library.

CRNAs. Yes, we have them. They do not get big cases or sick patients preferentially over residents. They do not do hearts, thoracic, regional, livers, OB, or transplants (except renal). They facilitate our education by getting us out for conference, getting us out at a reasonable hour during the day, and doing that 3am ASA-1 lap appy. Sometimes as a CA-1 you will be relieving them at 2:30-3pm. It’s kind of annoying but you will reap the benefits as a CA2 and 3. However as a CA-1 they will get you out to do the next day’s preops so it goes both ways. There is a collegial relationship and they definitely helped me with things like IV placement and other technical tips.

Electives off the top of my head: TEE, Regional, Research, Simulation center, OB, Peds, SICU

Moonlighting: OB, General OR, CICU, peds

Strengths: Location, regional, sick patients, subspecialty exposure, physical plant, cushy program with time to study

Members don't see this ad.

cushy. q6 max, usually 3 per month. used to be more on OB but they now insert non-ob rotators into the call schedule.

Members don't see this ad :)
-one of the most over served markets in the country, so don't plan on sticking around the area unless you want to make little with no security and horrible malpractice environment.
-inferiority complex with Penn just up the road.
-Welcome to Philadelphia: "Lock and Load" or "HEY, That's my car!!"

-one of the most over served markets in the country, so don't plan on sticking around the area unless you want to make little with no security and horrible malpractice environment.
-inferiority complex with Penn just up the road.
-Welcome to Philadelphia: "Lock and Load" or "HEY, That's my car!!"

um, ok. weird pissing contest: doze= 1, mike= forfeit. what's wrong, did jefferson reject you or something?

you know, for example, temple starts new grads at 300+, right? and that's academics.

go back to cyberstalking each other...

um, ok. weird pissing contest: doze= 1, mike= forfeit. what's wrong, did jefferson reject you or something?

you know, for example, temple starts new grads at 300+, right? and that's academics.

go back to cyberstalking each other...

Nope, just a little sarcasm, cynicism, and negativism from a guy who could have invented them. The comments about Philly being over served and having bad malpractice environment are completely true. The crime also true. I spent some time in Philly, even looked there for a job. Would have stayed, but opportunities were better outside the area. Don't know anything about the program @ Jeff. It is in a nice part of town though.

No offense meant.