JFK to Valhalla?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mc4435

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know a good/cheap way to get from JFK to Valhalla, NY? There are shuttles but those are $60 each way... and a cab would be even more expensive I would think. Ideas?

Oh and I'm not too good with public transportation so the simpler the better.

Members don't see this ad.

Option 1: Take the Air Train to Jamaica, then get on the E train going uptown, get off the E at 42nd street/Port Authority and take the shuttle to Grand Central. Take Metro-North Railroad to White Plains, take a short cab ride to NYMC. Approximate total cost: $30

Option 2: Take a shuttle from JFK to Port Authority, take the underground shuttle (S train) or a cab to Grand Central, Take Metro-North to White Plains (approx. 1 hour ride) and take a cab to NYMC. Approximate total cost: $35-40

It sounds complicated, but it's not actually that bad. good luck!

Option 1: Take the Air Train to Jamaica, then get on the E train going uptown, get off the E at 42nd street/Port Authority and take the shuttle to Grand Central. Take Metro-North Railroad to White Plains, take a short cab ride to NYMC. Approximate total cost: $30

actually, i was at nymc on monday and i did something similar:
air train to jamaica, transfer to E train, get off at lexington, transfer to the 6 downtown, get off at grand central station. it sounds like a lot of work, but the ny subway system is so organized that it was incredibly easy.

also, when you take the metro-north rail, be sure to take the SOUTHEAST train. i almost took the wrong train. it's also possible to get off at the valhalla stop, because there is a sign with a taxi company number in the parking lot. or if you're lucky, you get a really nice student host who will drive you!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're lucky going back, you might be able to split the cost of a shuttle with some other interviewees. When I interviewed there last year, 3 of us went along with another person's pre-scheduled shuttle, and we each paid less than $30. It might be beneficial to ask others what their plans are when you're there. Good luck!

About how long is the train ride?

Option 2: Take a shuttle from JFK to Port Authority, take the underground shuttle (S train) or a cab to Grand Central, Take Metro-North to White Plains (approx. 1 hour ride) and take a cab to NYMC. Approximate total cost: $35-40

It sounds complicated, but it's not actually that bad. good luck!

To the OP: Instead of taking a cab from White Plains to NYMC, you can take the 40 Bus. (It goes to Westchester Medical Center, which is on the same campus as NYMC) The bus station is right across the street from the train station, and fare on the bus is 1.75 (in quarters or other change, they don't accept dollar bills. They also accept metrocards, so if you want to pick up a $4 metrocard, it'll cut down on the amount of change you have to carry) Alternate buses are the 14 and 15. PM me if you want any other info about the area. I live right outside White Plains, and travel to NYMC on a daily basis. I know a lot about the area, and I can also direct you to websites that have the schedules for the bus and trains/subway.

To the OP: Instead of taking a cab from White Plains to NYMC, you can take the 40 Bus. (It goes to Westchester Medical Center, which is on the same campus as NYMC) The bus station is right across the street from the train station, and fare on the bus is 1.75 (in quarters or other change, they don't accept dollar bills. They also accept metrocards, so if you want to pick up a $4 metrocard, it'll cut down on the amount of change you have to carry) Alternate buses are the 14 and 15. PM me if you want any other info about the area. I live right outside White Plains, and travel to NYMC on a daily basis. I know a lot about the area, and I can also direct you to websites that have the schedules for the bus and trains/subway.

I'll take you there for 40 $ via car. PM me if interested

anyone know how to go from Long Island Airport to Valhalla?

southwest's Ding airfare keeps offering good rates for flights into Long Island.

i'd say take the LIRR from islip to jamaica and then from there im not exactly sure. there are some other threads about this

I'm contimplating renting a car when I go for my interview...would this be a poor choice? I would like to be able to prowl around the area a bit, get a feel for the Valhalla/White Plains vibe...but I have never been to New York. I am a licensed pro at driving in Chicago, how does that compare to getting from LGA up to NYMC and back?

I also saw on the NYMC website that LGA is closer than JFK. Which airport would you recommend (I'm planning on booking my ticket at the beginning of this week)?

I'm contimplating renting a car when I go for my interview...would this be a poor choice? I would like to be able to prowl around the area a bit, get a feel for the Valhalla/White Plains vibe...but I have never been to New York. I am a licensed pro at driving in Chicago, how does that compare to getting from LGA up to NYMC and back?

I also saw on the NYMC website that LGA is closer than JFK. Which airport would you recommend (I'm planning on booking my ticket at the beginning of this week)?

LGA is indeed closer to the school than JFK, which was helpful for me when riding an airport shuttle that stops at LGA first. LGA was cheaper and more convenient for me; plus, it's a smaller airport, so walking to the gate and going through security didn't take too long. However, if you have plenty of time and the flight is cheaper, JFK should work too. Good luck!