Job advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

res2937

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Senior level resident here, need advice about jobs. Over the course of the past couple of years, it's become obvious to me that radiology is not a good fit for me. I don't enjoy the nature of the work, and I don't think that's going to change. I wasn't really into medical school either, and I can't imagine myself doing anything else in medicine. I've been thinking that a hospitalist type job where you have one week on and one week off might be good since I'll have chunks of free time to do other things that I enjoy. Do these kinds of jobs exist for radiology?

Members don't see this ad.

Yep, 1 week on 2 week off night jobs or locum gigs.

Wait, you're a senior radiology resident and you don't know that these jobs not only exist, but exist in great numbers? Are you in the U.S.?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just chugging along in residency without doing too much job searching yet.

For locums, you would only get that kind of schedule if you're going from gig to gig right? If you stay with one place for a couple months it's generally standard schedule? How does locums work? Do you contract with an agency to set up jobs or do you do all of that yourself?

No way you're a senior resident. This smells like a troll.

Reactions: 1 user
The lack of knowledge about the field you display is incredibly suspect. What are you doing for fellowship? Hell what year are you?

OP has only 2 posts and they're both in this thread. I'm 100% convinced this is a troll.

Well before this thread goes to total waste...anyone have any feedback on the 1 on / 2 off schedule in terms of sleep cycles, holiday schedules/vacations etc? Are pay/benefits usually equivalent to a daytime gig? Are they available in both academic and pp jobs?

Well before this thread goes to total waste...anyone have any feedback on the 1 on / 2 off schedule in terms of sleep cycles, holiday schedules/vacations etc? Are pay/benefits usually equivalent to a daytime gig? Are they available in both academic and pp jobs?

Even with the trend toward 1 one/2 off schedules, these overnight jobs still strike me as a young persons' market. Very few people have the disposition for long term overnight work, especially anyone with kids. Or, to be more specific, despite the equal pay and considerable time off, I did not seriously entertain such a job based on the prospects of missing 1/3 holidays and weekends with my family. I imagine others reach the same conclusion.

These jobs are definitely available in both private practice and academics. You'll find a lot of variety with respect to remuneration, which probably reflects that group's desperation and what they value, as well as their recognition of what the market requires. When considering such a job, then you'll have to a make a judgment call on whether or not the practice in question values what you're providing or if they're just trying to get a warm body.

Based on job ads, it seems the 1 on/1 off schedule is more common than 1 on/2 off. 1 on/1 off nights is not sustainable.

Even with the trend toward 1 one/2 off schedules, these overnight jobs still strike me as a young persons' market. Very few people have the disposition for long term overnight work, especially anyone with kids. Or, to be more specific, despite the equal pay and considerable time off, I did not seriously entertain such a job based on the prospects of missing 1/3 holidays and weekends with my family. I imagine others reach the same conclusion.

These jobs are definitely available in both private practice and academics. You'll find a lot of variety with respect to remuneration, which probably reflects that group's desperation and what they value, as well as their recognition of what the market requires. When considering such a job, then you'll have to a make a judgment call on whether or not the practice in question values what you're providing or if they're just trying to get a warm body.
Nighttime gigs are bad for you in a way that sitting all day is bad for you. Messes with your circadian rhythms and sleep cycle. Way more cortisol production than your body needs etc...

Rotating night schedules seem to be the worst

Working the Night Shift? It May Not be Good for Your Health

Based on job ads, it seems the 1 on/1 off schedule is more common than 1 on/2 off. 1 on/1 off nights is not sustainable.

1 on 1 off isn't worth it for anything below a 1.5 to 2x FTE pay, even then it's not worth it.

Yes, there are week on, week off jobs, nights, locums, and even long term/permanent, though the latter might require you to first get established within a practice.

If you do not like radiology as a senior resident, you will hate it as an attending. It does not generally get better over time. Figure out what suits you and make it happen.

Dude, people like radiology MORE as they rise through the ranks. Not less.

You are blanketly making fun of radiology in all radiology forum threads, thats fine I guess, but if you want to be taken seriously (as a troll, or otherwise) you have to at least have 3-5 percent of reality mixed in with your subterfuge. If you need to refresh your trolling skills or trolling rules, please PM a mod and I am sure you will be able to borrow a manual.

Let us know if you have any questions.
Uh, dude, I am a radiologist who has been in private practice for 21 years. Yes, I know very well the trajectory of the radiology career as I am in the tail end of my career. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me.

Radiology is one of the few fields where being an attending is more challenging than being a resident. More images, more cases, and more responsibility...and no one to tell you that you forget to mention that 3 cm left upper pole renal mass that enhances just like the rest of the kidney on the PE protocol CT before the report goes out.

Not sure where you get the notion that I am making fun of radiology or trolling the threads, dude. Just giving real world input where it is missing. I thought that you young whippersnappers would like some perspective from someone who has seen and done it before, but if you want to continue to live in Fantasyland, dude, I will withdraw.

Reactions: 1 users