job application confidentiality?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elburrito

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
We all know that when you apply for jobs, references are typically requested at the time of application, together with CV and cover sheet. I'm a member of a small group in private practice pathology. How possible is it to pursue another job and still maintain confidentiality? Do people take it seriously if you don't list your current group practice members as references? When applying for fellowships, I know that program directors contacted people whom I had not listed as references in my application. Wouldn't it jeopardize your ability to get the next job if you don't list references? If you apply and fail to get the next job, you would have to return to your current group with other members now knowing you tried to leave, significantly impairing relations with the current employer.

Members don't see this ad.

Yep, I don't disagree with anything you've written. Not listing your current employer would be a red flag. I certainly would want to know why someone did that. I think the only way to go about this is to apply openly.

We all know that when you apply for jobs, references are typically requested at the time of application, together with CV and cover sheet. I'm a member of a small group in private practice pathology. How possible is it to pursue another job and still maintain confidentiality? Do people take it seriously if you don't list your current group practice members as references? When applying for fellowships, I know that program directors contacted people whom I had not listed as references in my application. Wouldn't it jeopardize your ability to get the next job if you don't list references? If you apply and fail to get the next job, you would have to return to your current group with other members now knowing you tried to leave, significantly impairing relations with the current employer.

You need to tell your current group you are applying for jobs and give everyone plenty of notice. Don't be a jerk-off, find a job and then give your current group minimal notice.

Members don't see this ad :)
I recently made a job switch so I can relate. Two things that are almost guaranteed your next place is going to want to know are: 1. Why do you want to leave your current place? 2. What do current/recent colleagues in Pathology say about your competence and personality?

Everyone is going to have some reason why they’re leaving any job in any field. The question is, does the next place buy your story or not. I had a very legitimate reason in the eyes of my next place why I wanted to leave. They (and other places I applied to) did check my references. As a matter of fact, when I was interviewing with my soon-to-be group and casually mentioned that I got a job offer in the area from another hospital a few years ago, my soon-to-be partner interviewing me later called that other hospital (he knew one of the pathologists in that group) to check my story if that was true! And, he also asked that pathologist why I didn’t go there. All from a comment made by me in passing without ever having anyone in that group listed as a reference on my CV. Pathology is a small community… Anyway, in regards to your questions:

How possible is it to pursue another job and still maintain confidentiality?
It all boils down to who you list as references. If you list people outside your current job (co-workers from prior job, former faculty from residency/fellowship, etc.) then it will be easier to maintain confidentiality from you current colleagues. The next place you interview will want to get an idea of your ability and personality before hiring, provided they’re doing their due diligence. No [respectable] place would just go on paper credentials alone unless they already personally knew the candidate or the person was a famous expert in their field.

Do people take it seriously if you don't list your current group practice members as references?
It depends. Some, places may insist on speaking with whom you've had most recent contact with (current group) to see if there's other circumstances why you want to leave. On the other hand, some places you’re interviewing at will know you want to preserve confidentiality; and they will double check with you if they can contact your references. However, most will assume anyone listed as a reference, is fair game to be contacted. My advice would be is to provide references outside of pathologists in your current practice e.g. pathologists from previous job, former faculty from residency/fellowship, former co-residents or fellows, even a surgeon/clinician whom you've regularly interacted with. This may be sufficient for the place you're interviewing at. If not, let them ask you for references from current group.

Wouldn't it jeopardize your ability to get the next job if you don't list references?
I’ve never heard of a [respectable] place not requesting references for a potential candidate who didn’t list them. Those that did overlook it make you wonder if they’re that ignorant or desperate…

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I was involved with job hunting fro 20 years. On any resume that you mail around( i.e. paper copy) under the section References list " Available upon request" also if you list them put in "Additional references available upon request" at the top or the bottom of that section as well as 3 or 4 references. On most online resumes they list a section for at least 3 and sometimes 4 or more references with address, phone and/or email addresses. . if you do not list any then the online application will not work. they also ask the name of 3 prior employers' and the names/phone numbers/emails of the supervisor. if you do not list anything then it is a RED FLAG. the best way is paper copy with " references available upon request" most employers also " ask around" about a candidate sometimes without their knowledge and ask people who you may have trained with or were in the same program/geographic area. . there are some "anonymous" job hunters websites that do not list the name of the candidate to the prospective employer just the basic credentials. eventually if it looks successful then the references will be needed. I am a full time VA employee--I do not wish to give my name or work site_ at the VA in the final stages of applications ALL references ( usually 4) are contacted by email and the application DOES NOT proceed without their emails or letters. all are verified. so most references are verified, some websites will not let you use them without references with the names, addresses, phone numbers and emails they usually "ask around about you" so their is always some"politics" involved" getting a job is not so easy as it looks. all the best