Job applications for next May (2017)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZakMeister

RPh
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it too early to apply? When is the ideal time frame according to y'all?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I can't imagine anyone would hold a job that long in this market.

Reactions: 1 user
Best time to apply is...when a job is posted and you're licensed. Until then, it's just someone's wet dream.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
2016 grad here. I started in March and was employed by graduation.

Reactions: 1 users
Also 2016 grad. I started applying for jobs upon finding out I didn't match for residency :eek: (~end of March).

Graduated early May, licensed mid-June, employed July 1.

Okay truthful answer, I started applying January during PGY-1, but really got down to it around early April. Employed on-call w/ full-time hours at hospital of residency the week I ended PGY-1, hired July for mid-August start for FT position. Zero interruption in transition, but it was a busy time.

I started applying in January at my school's advice. Received a nice call in February from a director who just needed to tell me there was no way in hell he would interview me and hold a position, and that they usually just hire their residents. Awfully nice of him.

Anyway, got my license in July and started getting interviews after that. I accepted an offer in August and started working in September..

2012 grad, didn't match. Started looking for positions in April, had a job offer by mid-May. I primarily applied to hospital positions.

My school did have the requisite job fair in November prior to graduation which I went to, but it kind of seemed like a joke...not sure if anyone from my class landed a position out of it.

You can start networking with those who do the hiring.

I had a P1 contact me and said he would like to do P4 rotation when time comes. He stayed in touch with me through the years. Then he did the rotation...then got hired when licensed.

You can start networking with those who do the hiring.

I had a P1 contact me and said he would like to do P4 rotation when time comes. He stayed in touch with me through the years. Then he did the rotation...then got hired when licensed.

Just curious, how would one go about "staying in touch" with someone they have never met over the course of 3 years? What the heck did he email you about during this time?

I've had multiple preceptors in IPPE that really liked me but how would I go about staying in contact with them if I really have nothing to say to them or ask of them?

One preceptor liked me on rotation and and by chance was involved with my school and graded on of my mock patient consultations. He went on excessively about how great I did and took off no points (he actually made some other pretty good students repeat the assessment). I feel like I have an opportunity to network with people like this that I have made a good impression with but don't know how to stay in contact once the short rotation is over.

Last edited:
Just curious, how would one go about "staying in touch" with someone they have never met over the course of 3 years? What the heck did he email you about during this time?

I've had multiple preceptors in IPPE that really liked me but how would I go about staying in contact with them if I really have nothing to say to them or ask of them?

One preceptor liked me on rotation and and by chance was involved with my school and graded on of my mock patient consultations. He went on excessively about how great I did and took off no points (he actually made some other pretty good students repeat the assessment). I feel like I have an opportunity to network with people like this that I have made a good impression with but don't know how to stay in contact once the short rotation is over.

You can ask him for letter of recommendation, add him on Linkedin if he has one, or just email him once or twice before you graduate asking if he is involved in any exciting project that you can get in. Of course it depends on the type of setting he is in.

At least from my experience, a lot of kids from my class got jobs from wherever they had interned at and/or from the career fair our school held in November.

Personally, I didn't do paid work while in school (not recommended). I interviewed with 4 companies in November (a first come first serve pre interview feel). 3 of the companies followed up with me.

CVS called me in December for a phone interview, then a January interview. I was told I'd get an offer, then got a stock rejection start of February. Wags had me do a phone interview in January then offered me a float position starting in July.

A small grocer I interviewed with at the fair never followed up with me until giving me a formal offer out of the blue in early March. I took the grocery job and started the Monday after I graduated. I think I just got lucky in this case, but I never would've gotten my job if I hadn't given it a shot at the career fair.

Each school may be different, but really take advantage of any hosted interview/career days they may offer. It may get your foot in the door, and if you interview well, can really land you a good job.

Even if limited on slots, you can walk around and get the info of the actual people that hire in your general area. Start feeling out established contacts now, but I wouldn't waste your time on random job posts until early spring.

Anyone knows job market in California other than retails (hospital, infusion,...)? I will graduate in May and not sure when will be a good time to apply?

My school held retail interviews early. I think it may have been November or October 2015. I graduated in May 2016. I started reaching out to pharmacy district managers in December/January and Emailed them every few months. In March I started to look for and apply for grad intern positions and I had beeen getting extremely worried about not having an offer because a lot of people knew in January that they had offers. After people get matched for residencies, spots open up. I was able to find a position before I graduated.