job during medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scrubswannabe

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if people commonly did this... I mean medical school costs around 50k these days and I was just wondering how people paid that.
Is medical school fixed hours every day or is it more hectic, basically is it possible to hold a job during medical school.

Before I enter medical school I will have a BS and an MBA in Healthcare Management under my belt so it would be awesome if I could get a job somehow during medical school to help pay for the costs. Please let me know what you all think.

Members don't see this ad.

Some people work during first and second year and over christmas vacation. But that won't put a dent in your costs.

i don't know of anyone who has a steady job at my school.

Medical School WILL be your FULL-TIME job. I promise!!

Members don't see this ad :)
It's more hectic. The schedule depends on the school, but might be 9-12 every day with labs in the afternoon. Lots of people stop going to class at some point, but they usually use that time to study and the rest of the time to work out, grocery shop, etc. You may be able to work, but it might not be a real type of job but something with more flexible hours. Our schedule changed from week to week so it would be hard to work regular hours. My advice would be to hold off on getting a job until after you are done with the first semester so that you can see how much time you really need to spend on school--something that differs widely from person to person. Most people just take out loans.

You may be able to work, but it might not be a real type of job but something with more flexible hours.

Ah, trade embalming.....$250+ for two hours of work..... :thumbup:

My boss made money to pay for most of her cost of living during med school by working as a phlebotomist. And I know one or two people who've continued to do a nursing shift or two a week. But it's really difficult, and you'd need something very flexible. Like an above poster said, medical school is a full-time job.

scrubswannabe said:
I was wondering if people commonly did this... I mean medical school costs around 50k these days and I was just wondering how people paid that.
Is medical school fixed hours every day or is it more hectic, basically is it possible to hold a job during medical school.

Before I enter medical school I will have a BS and an MBA in Healthcare Management under my belt so it would be awesome if I could get a job somehow during medical school to help pay for the costs. Please let me know what you all think.

Loans.

You'll make enough money as a doctor to pay it back.

I'm taking 27 credit hours this semester. I don't work.

iam confusing about some thing,why do you have loans?????????????

ruler said:
iam confusing about some thing,why do you have loans?????????????

What? Your question makes no sense. And to the OP, I think you know if you have an MBA that loan repayments should not be your concern.

This is so individual and depends on what you HAVE to do. My preference is not to work, but I am fortunate to be able to have a prn job in a hospital that lets me fill in 4 hours a week. I make $15.00 a hour. That's enough to buy my groceries and gas. I think I can manage these hours. I plan on going into FP and stay in my area of the country where I will be making about $110-$120 to start out. I don't want $200,000 in loans so I plan on making money where I can to help keep some costs down. Along with beg for some living expenses from my parents. If you don't have to work, don't do it. I feel I don't have much choice.

Reactions: 1 user
I worked in a research lab all throughout med school and killed two birds with one stone, made a little extra money and got a bunch of publications out of it.

well .. i dont prefer any major activity un-related to MEDICINE
coz at least it takes alot of time .. & it will be on the cost of our resposibilities towards the patients care ...

anyway .. the Human have alots of power to achieve his demands
may God help us

Regards,

You can probably work part-time during year 1-2 (maybe during second half of 4th year too), but definitely not during third year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I work 5-10 hours/week. It pays for groceries & makes me feel less guilty about blowing $$$ every once in a while on something frivolous.

I worked as a paramedic on the weekend during 1st year. Also teach ACLS, BLS during all of medical school a few days a month.

I know several nurses in my class that still work PRN even through 3rd year.

I know one dietitician in my class that still works all through medical school.

Many are EKG techs at our school's hospital.

I'm essentially teaching full-time through june now since I've finished medical school.

Jobs abound and you can do it.

It should be worth mentioning that all of the above were exceptional students and didn't require that much study time.

so it depends on the individual. if you are motivated you can do it.

Although i'd say it would be limited to a flexible PRN type of position.

you have to be flexible in school.

later

How much does MCAT tutoring pay?

I kept my job as a trauma tech through Jan of my third year. I worked 16 hours a month and it was painful. If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't The money wasn't worth the hassle or the time lost from hanging out with my husband.

tigershark said:
I worked in a research lab all throughout med school and killed two birds with one stone, made a little extra money and got a bunch of publications out of it.

hey tigershark,

How'd you work that out? Were you a research assistant? a tech? Did you start out volunteering? Were you in the same lab throughout med school? Are PIs generally willing to hire medical students outside of joint-degree programs? How many hours a week do you have to work to make it worth their while (and yours)?

Sorry for all the questions, but this is ideally what I would like to do.... be involved in research and get paid while in med school :)

btw, if anyone else other than tigershark would like to chime in, feel free.

I teach a Kaplan class a couple of times per week. It's sweet money considering how little time it takes up. Hopefully they can hook me up with more hours during the summer, which would still leave me plenty of time to do research or something else (if I were actually inclined).

scrubswannabe said:

I think it would be very difficult to work a regular schedule during med school. By "regular" I mean, say, every Saturday, or every weekend, or the same time every week with rigid hours. During the first two years, you're often tired enough from your full-time job (being a student) that your days off are much needed and should be just that -- your days off.

But it's not impossible to do a few hours a week of something-or-other if you can set your own schedule. At my school, for example, you can tutor students and get paid by the hour, and for that you schedule your own time. But the money that comes from that type of arrangement is usually minimal.

ClearDay said:
How much does MCAT tutoring pay?

Kaplan pays $17.50 an hour for teaching, not sure if the pay rate is the same for tutoring. That's starting out. If you get good reviews from your students, I believe it goes up to $18.00.

stherling said:
hey tigershark,

How'd you work that out? Were you a research assistant? a tech? Did you start out volunteering? Were you in the same lab throughout med school? Are PIs generally willing to hire medical students outside of joint-degree programs? How many hours a week do you have to work to make it worth their while (and yours)?

Sorry for all the questions, but this is ideally what I would like to do.... be involved in research and get paid while in med school :)

btw, if anyone else other than tigershark would like to chime in, feel free.

bump :)

tigershark said:

How many hours a week did you work?