Job Hazards for a pharmacist, opinion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

quimicosoy

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi how are you, I am P1 student, and lately I have been having these thoughts about pulmonary diseases. This is the story.

My father was diagnosed with end stage pulmonary fibrosis, and COPD, just went I started pharmacy school. Yes I know it is really sad. It is a terrible disease. And there is a high chance that he will die soon.

I did my homework about this disease and it does have a genetic familial component. Causes can be unknown as well, but also it can be caused by occupational hazards, like dust particles, volatile liquids, chemicals, etc... And we all know that pharmacist have to deal with all this stuff in some ways.

My father is only 56, and he was a lawnmower mechanic, and he did smoke when he was younger, but quit 27 years ago (since I was born 🙂).

Yes, I can not deny it. I am terrified of the idea, that my chosen profession will lead me or put me at a higher risk to suffer such a terrible disease. I know, I might be overreacting but, then, still is worth the thought. I have tried to look stuff online about this issue but have not found any.

In a nut shell, I just wanted to ask pharmacists about what you think about occupational hazards for our chosen profession, and the health risks associated with it. Any pharmacist with pulmonary diseases?

Thanks
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You will have a mask on when you are working with chemicals that have any sort of potential for harm and dust is in your house too so thats not an occupational hazard. If anything, pharmacy is a great field for you because if you are in a hospital, you will spend a good bit of time in a clean room which has to have a very low air particle count. So yes, way overreacting.
 
I have never really thought about pulmonary diseases as a pharmacist before, so I wouldn't be too worried about it. There have been some articles about pharmacists (and other healthcare professionals) who work on oncology floors having higher cancer rates, but none of the people I've talked to in oncology view this as much of a concern to them.
 
There are very few hazards that can't be mediated with safety procedures. I've removed myself from chemo duties until I deliver this baby, even though my exposure risk is really low with all of the safety features we have in place.

You are overthinking this. I am very sorry about your dad.
 
Hi how are you, I am P1 student, and lately I have been having these thoughts about pulmonary diseases. This is the story.

My father was diagnosed with end stage pulmonary fibrosis, and COPD, just went I started pharmacy school. Yes I know it is really sad. It is a terrible disease. And there is a high chance that he will die soon.

I did my homework about this disease and it does have a genetic familial component. Causes can be unknown as well, but also it can be caused by occupational hazards, like dust particles, volatile liquids, chemicals, etc... And we all know that pharmacist have to deal with all this stuff in some ways.

My father is only 56, and he was a lawnmower mechanic, and he did smoke when he was younger, but quit 27 years ago (since I was born 🙂).

Yes, I can not deny it. I am terrified of the idea, that my chosen profession will lead me or put me at a higher risk to suffer such a terrible disease. I know, I might be overreacting but, then, still is worth the thought. I have tried to look stuff online about this issue but have not found any.

In a nut shell, I just wanted to ask pharmacists about what you think about occupational hazards for our chosen profession, and the health risks associated with it. Any pharmacist with pulmonary diseases?

Thanks

Did they do a test for alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency?
 
A pharmacist where I work actually just retired early because she had COPD and was coughing her head off all day long, but I don't know her background at all or why she may have gotten it. I think being a mechanic and smoker are much higher risks for pulmonary diseases than being a pharmacist. In general, health and life expectancy increase with salary and education.
 
that is good to know. Thanks for the replies. So sorry for the pharmacist with COPD, hope she gets better.
 
My new job is incredibly sedentary, and while I was certainly not physically fit before, I'm turning into a regular old marshmallow and have put on some weight. 😡 I'm grateful to have this job, though, especially because my boss told me today that I'm doing a terrific job and he's glad he hired me. 😎
 
My new job is incredibly sedentary, and while I was certainly not physically fit before, I'm turning into a regular old marshmallow and have put on some weight. 😡 I'm grateful to have this job, though, especially because my boss told me today that I'm doing a terrific job and he's glad he hired me. 😎

lol congrats man, you are one of the lucky ones with a job. Hope you stay fit, health is important...