Job Hunting - Cold Calls

Started by DrQuinn
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DrQuinn

My name is Neo
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I'm flying up to DC in a month to begin looking for my first job as a *hopefully* recent EM grad.

There has been talk on SDN in the past about people doing "cold calls" and just calling up or showing up at an ED and applying for a job that way.

Anyone want to give more advice about it? Just show up in a suit with a bunch of resumes and ask to speak to the Director?

Much obliged.
Q
 
I would'nt just "show up" generallyif you have a specific reason to work at a particular institution or within a specific group, that is the reason to "cold call" So I would suggest calling, writing a leter of interest to the Chair, or Departmnet Director. get all the information you can about the institution/hospital, group etc.

EM Groups can never truely predict their staffing needs, we trend and calculate as best we can. So make calls, email and or send a letter of interest and discuss specific reasons why you are interested in that ED, group, etc when you know they are not activly recruiting. This approach has been successful for many, current members of my group.


Paul
 
I agree. Don't just show up. It will look weird and if you get to talk to anyone it may be a part timer who doesn't know much about the group. It is OK to cold call, fax, write, email, whatever the director and express interest. You can find out lots of info that way. Some groups will not be hiring and some groups don't hire fresh grads. That stuff is good to know so you don't waste time.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
QuinnNSU said:
So I'm flying up to DC in a month to begin looking for my first job as a *hopefully* recent EM grad.

There has been talk on SDN in the past about people doing "cold calls" and just calling up or showing up at an ED and applying for a job that way.

Anyone want to give more advice about it? Just show up in a suit with a bunch of resumes and ask to speak to the Director?

Much obliged.
Q

Quinn, I wouldn't advocate cold calling. I would just do some cold WORKING. Just show up ready to work, and start doing some pelvic exams and back pain. Then introduce yourself to the group. They will be impressed with your positive outlook and initiative.

mike
 
mikecwru said:
Quinn, I wouldn't advocate cold calling. I would just do some cold WORKING. Just show up ready to work, and start doing some pelvic exams and back pain. Then introduce yourself to the group. They will be impressed with your positive outlook and initiative.

mike

That's a good idea. Once you go this route though don't let anyone stop you. When security gangs up on you start screaming "Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor!"