Job Hunting

Started by cowgirla
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
First interview today---the interview itself went well but I just don't think the opportunity is a good fit for me. It's an older vet with some health issues looking for someone to basically take over the practice. There's another vet there now but I got the feeling he didn't want to really stick around long term. They made me an offer and said I could be hired right away. But, they did say I would probably end up as the solo vet and I just don't think it would be a good idea for me to pretty much strike out on my own fresh out of school. I said I would take some time to consider things, but I felt really bad because it was an old couple and they seemed so eager about finding someone. :/

If anyone is looking for something in TN...let me know and I can pass along the info.

On the plus side, I have an interview at the end of March with the clinic I'd really like to work at!

Also: what are people's opinions on time between graduation and starting a new job? Is June too soon if graduating in early May?


Take time off. As much as you can. At least a few weeks.

I WISH I had taken a week or two off in between residency and fellowship. I had a month or so in between vet school and residency, but most of that was spent gearing up for the cross-country move. Never went anywhere in college, always worked over breaks. So I basically haven't had a vacation in well over a decade unless it was a few days over holidays to see family.

If there is one thing I have learned in the past ~8 years of post-college education, if you don't give yourself time to relax you are going to turn into a little stress monster (like me) 😉
 
Take time off. As much as you can. At least a few weeks.

I WISH I had taken a week or two off in between residency and fellowship. I had a month or so in between vet school and residency, but most of that was spent gearing up for the cross-country move. Never went anywhere in college, always worked over breaks. So I basically haven't had a vacation in well over a decade unless it was a few days over holidays to see family.

If there is one thing I have learned in the past ~8 years of post-college education, if you don't give yourself time to relax you are going to turn into a little stress monster (like me) 😉

But...i've always wanted to be like you when I grow up!!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I guess I didn't post here at all yet that I am doing a rotating internship at a private specialty/emergency practice in NY. Another move across the country, woop. (I only really ranked places on the east coast for the most part)
Is that THE place in NY by any chance? Or somewhere different?? :-D
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not really going into details on here! I hope you understand.

edit: I will say it's not, but I do have a classmate who matched there that I absolutely adore and she is a total rockstar!!
Gotcha, gotcha. Yeah, I figured--I tried to be vague 🙂 Congrats, though! So exciting!
 
I'm waiting to hear back from my absolute dream job (like literally can't think of anywhere else that will top this place). I can't even believe I'm being seriously considered for this position, and even more so that it appears I actually have a decent shot. I've done everything I can, and can do nothing at this point except wait. The anticipation and suspense is killing me!!! I can't eat or sleep, and that never happens with this lazy glutton. I'm not sure I'll survive until I hear back at this rate.
 
I gots it!!!!!!!!!! A multi doctor practice with demonstrated good mentoring, super awesome standard of care, great case load, opportunities to learn a ton of new surgeries and procedures, and drool worthy equipment. Essentially a private practice internship that pays a 'normal' salary and is a permanent position!

As tempting as it was in this god-awful job market, I'm really glad I took the advice to not settle.
 
I gots it!!!!!!!!!! A multi doctor practice with demonstrated good mentoring, super awesome standard of care, great case load, opportunities to learn a ton of new surgeries and procedures, and drool worthy equipment. Essentially a private practice internship that pays a 'normal' salary and is a permanent position!

As tempting as it was in this god-awful job market, I'm really glad I took the advice to not settle.
congrats!
 
Yayyyyyyyy! So excited to see you guys finding with while positions. Glad the hard work paid off!
 
I'm not starting until June 1st because Tennessee doesn't issue licenses until then, and wont even let you work under supervision without one. 😡 But something of an enforced vacation will probably be good for me, so I'll take it. 😛
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Crushing disappointment on the job hunt here. Got rejected for the job that I really, really wanted. What annoys me is that they talked all about how they like to mentor, then sent me an email basically saying they don't have time to mentor someone.

I still have the offer from the old man I first interviewed with but it makes me uncomfortable. Basically working as solo vet after a month, no benefits, $41k a year BEFORE taxes. :/
 
Crushing disappointment on the job hunt here. Got rejected for the job that I really, really wanted. What annoys me is that they talked all about how they like to mentor, then sent me an email basically saying they don't have time to mentor someone.

I still have the offer from the old man I first interviewed with but it makes me uncomfortable. Basically working as solo vet after a month, no benefits, $41k a year BEFORE taxes. :/

:lame: :lame: :lame:

I would definitely hesitate to accept something like that, too...
 
Crushing disappointment on the job hunt here. Got rejected for the job that I really, really wanted. What annoys me is that they talked all about how they like to mentor, then sent me an email basically saying they don't have time to mentor someone.

I still have the offer from the old man I first interviewed with but it makes me uncomfortable. Basically working as solo vet after a month, no benefits, $41k a year BEFORE taxes. :/
Ouch 🙁 Do you have any other prospects, skittles? I'm really sorry your ideal job didn't work out for you.
 
Crushing disappointment on the job hunt here. Got rejected for the job that I really, really wanted. What annoys me is that they talked all about how they like to mentor, then sent me an email basically saying they don't have time to mentor someone.

I still have the offer from the old man I first interviewed with but it makes me uncomfortable. Basically working as solo vet after a month, no benefits, $41k a year BEFORE taxes. :/

I'm in the same boat, but the crappy offer was 45K, in a very high tax state/high cost of living area. With 4 nights/wk on call, + every other weekend. I just. I just cant. No. Would rather be jobless for a few weeks, but hate to take the gamble of not finding anything.

Have two "dream" jobs that I'm still waiting for answers on. One was a recent interview and they came right out and said they wanted to interview other people before deciding (I was the first). Another is a clinic I know very well that is building a new hospital and construction has been delayed, so hiring has been delayed. If they could give me a definite answer with a delayed start date, I'd be happy, but I cant even get that out of them yet. I just can't win. Definitely reaching freak out levels. Have to be out of my house in a month, so all my stuff is going in storage and I'm crashing at a friend's place while I figure out my life. The school has my old tech job open, so I guess that's always an option :-/
 
I'm in the same boat, but the crappy offer was 45K, in a very high tax state/high cost of living area. With 4 nights/wk on call, + every other weekend. I just. I just cant. No. Would rather be jobless for a few weeks, but hate to take the gamble of not finding anything.

Have two "dream" jobs that I'm still waiting for answers on. One was a recent interview and they came right out and said they wanted to interview other people before deciding (I was the first). Another is a clinic I know very well that is building a new hospital and construction has been delayed, so hiring has been delayed. If they could give me a definite answer with a delayed start date, I'd be happy, but I cant even get that out of them yet. I just can't win. Definitely reaching freak out levels. Have to be out of my house in a month, so all my stuff is going in storage and I'm crashing at a friend's place while I figure out my life. The school has my old tech job open, so I guess that's always an option :-/

I don;t know if I would want to take $45k (esp. with on call, no benefits, whatever) HERE in this state, let alone somewhere else where it costs more to exist. Bleh.
 
I'm in the same boat, but the crappy offer was 45K, in a very high tax state/high cost of living area. With 4 nights/wk on call, + every other weekend. I just. I just cant. No. Would rather be jobless for a few weeks, but hate to take the gamble of not finding anything.

Have two "dream" jobs that I'm still waiting for answers on. One was a recent interview and they came right out and said they wanted to interview other people before deciding (I was the first). Another is a clinic I know very well that is building a new hospital and construction has been delayed, so hiring has been delayed. If they could give me a definite answer with a delayed start date, I'd be happy, but I cant even get that out of them yet. I just can't win. Definitely reaching freak out levels. Have to be out of my house in a month, so all my stuff is going in storage and I'm crashing at a friend's place while I figure out my life. The school has my old tech job open, so I guess that's always an option :-/
You can come stay with me. We can go to my parents' lakehouse. For real though, K and I talked about going to the lake before she moves to Tenn.
 
That really really sucks skittles + cowgirla...
And yeah, if we're looking for jobs in the same area, it's a tough tough area. I know a lot of graduating residents who are having a hell of a time finding a place too, not just graduating students. I don't know how strict you are in terms of possible locations, but I do know a clinic that has a pretty good opportunity with a super nice owner who would be an awesome mentor but perhaps not very good pay (without need to be on calls). PM me if you're interested in more details. I really hope one of your other ones work out for you.
 
So for now I'm thinking I'm going to decline the crappy job offer, as scary as it is to decline the only offer I have. I just know that I would be doing myself and his practice a huge detriment to go there alone as a new grad.

I know a mixed animal vet who is an associate at a practice, and he said the owner would allow me to come basically volunteer myself there for a while after graduation. Kind of crappy to not get paid, but the mentorship would be way, way better. And maybe somewhere the tiny spark of optimism in me hopes it will produce a job offer...
 
It's been hard to interview when I'm many hours away from the areas I'm interested in. However, I may have set a record by scheduling interviews after graduation in 6 different states. 4 interviews this week in 3 different states. Something's gotta stick, right?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad