Job ideas between internship and residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pyrate

Reaction score
I'm trying to plan ahead for the awkward month between finishing my internship and starting my residency. In an ideal world, I could take a vacation, spend time with friends and family, or prepare for my residency, but unfortunately, I am poor. Between moving expenses (across multiple states), rent, bills, and a limited income intern's salary, I'm going to need some form of an income to get by until I get my first residency paycheck. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a temporary paycheck. I plan to leave my current midwest state and head back to California as soon as my internship ends, and I have an active California veterinary license. Is anyone else in this situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I’m sure you could pick up ER shifts if you’re already licensed in California? Might need to grab some liability insurance on your own which is gonna cost money though. There’s always a pretty big need for ER vets it seems like, and even just picking up a couple ought to pay pretty well.

I don’t really have other suggestions. I think taking that month off is very helpful to mentally recharge and prepare yourself for residency so if there’s any way you can swing it I would take advantage but I definitely understand needing money to live.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I’m sure you could pick up ER shifts if you’re already licensed in California? Might need to grab some liability insurance on your own which is gonna cost money though. There’s always a pretty big need for ER vets it seems like, and even just picking up a couple ought to pay pretty well.

yes, ER relief! You would need state license and PLIT if you don’t already have one. Charge $125-150/hr and take as many shifts as you want to make it worthwhile for you.