Job market for clinical Pharmacists in new jersey?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StriveForGlory

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, how are you all doing?

Im new to this forum and I just wanted to ask you a question. Im finishing up my P1 year and starting to think about what it is I would like to do after pharmacy school. I have been considering doing a residency after school at the hospital that I currently work in. Now when i graduate I will have around 6 years pharmacy tech experience in that hospital and I am hoping they would like to keep me around if i was to express interest in the residency program.

The thing is, even if i do get a residency, how likely am I to get a job as a clinical pharmacist afterwards? My boss said that they typically like to look at residents as potential hirees later on, but if they have two residents a year can they really support two new hires each year as well? It seems unlikely. I have heard some people say that in their area you need a residency to get a staff position. I havent heard of anything like that in new jersey but I was wondering if you think that this is where the profession is headed.

I mean I am pretty confident that they will hire me as staff at the hospital when I graduate if I want but I dont want to do a residency and just end up at the same job I could have had right away.

Just some general thoughts on the topic would be very helpful, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Check your local job search engines and see what the requirements are for jobs you are interested in.

You may have to move for the job you want. That's the reality now.

Im new to this forum and I just wanted to ask you a question. Im finishing up my P1 year and starting to think about what it is I would like to do after pharmacy school. I have been considering doing a residency after school at the hospital that I currently work in. Now when i graduate I will have around 6 years pharmacy tech experience in that hospital and I am hoping they would like to keep me around if i was to express interest in the residency program.

The thing is, even if i do get a residency, how likely am I to get a job as a clinical pharmacist afterwards? My boss said that they typically like to look at residents as potential hirees later on, but if they have two residents a year can they really support two new hires each year as well? It seems unlikely. I have heard some people say that in their area you need a residency to get a staff position. I havent heard of anything like that in new jersey but I was wondering if you think that this is where the profession is headed.

I mean I am pretty confident that they will hire me as staff at the hospital when I graduate if I want but I dont want to do a residency and just end up at the same job I could have had right away.

you're just a P1 and already sure to be hired after grad? That's too early to say there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I recognize that it is too early to say but the only reason I said that is because i work for a small branch of a huge medical center and my hospital has always had several open positions for pharmacists for as long as I have worked there. Also several pharmacists are set to retire around the time that I am graduating. Please do not that this as me being cocky, for I am aware that situations change and what is true now may not be true later.

More than likely you would be able to gain a clinical job after doing a residency, the key is however that your going to have to be flexible. Don't expect a comfy clinical position in a nice suburban area right outside of NYC, you might find openings in near the NJ/PA border, South Jersey, etc. I know of one clinical pharmacist at my hospital that was hired following his 2nd year of residency, however the 2 residents this year are moving on to other places. Big issue right now is that alot of the SMALLER private hospital's are tightening their budgets. But by the time your graduating, who knows how the economy and health care status will be.

I can say that as a soon-to-be grad of a residency program, a job is NOT guaranteed. Our program, which is in a major metropolitan area, will not be able to hire either of us residents this year. Of last year's residents, only one was hired on a per diem basis. The economy really took a toll on the job market for clinical pharmacists.

I have been applying to jobs (even non-clinical positions) and haven't gotten so much as a call back. I am competing with a graduating pharmacy class of almost 100, as well as about 30 graduating residents for the 4 part-time jobs that are advertized in the paper.

I may end up working retail after all. Not a terrible job, but it's not what I wanted to be doing at this point in my career. I still have a couple of months to figure it out, though.

I can say that as a soon-to-be grad of a residency program, a job is NOT guaranteed. Our program, which is in a major metropolitan area, will not be able to hire either of us residents this year. Of last year's residents, only one was hired on a per diem basis. The economy really took a toll on the job market for clinical pharmacists.

I have been applying to jobs (even non-clinical positions) and haven't gotten so much as a call back. I am competing with a graduating pharmacy class of almost 100, as well as about 30 graduating residents for the 4 part-time jobs that are advertized in the paper.

I may end up working retail after all. Not a terrible job, but it's not what I wanted to be doing at this point in my career. I still have a couple of months to figure it out, though.

I agree! Even a staffing job is hard to come by right now.... :(

NJ/NY/PA = SATURATED

nj and philly and northern delaware are very very bad for pharmacists right now. i know a bunch who are unemployed. retail closing their 24h setups displacing pharmacists bigtime. hospital pharmacies get multiple calls a day from pharmacists looking for jobs. get out of that area if you can