Job market after residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VictorOfHungerGames

May the odds be ever in your favor
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
How's the job market for clinical pharmacists? Especially for specialized fields like ID or crit care? Is it just as saturated as retail?

Members don't see this ad.

How's the job market for clinical pharmacists? Especially for specialized fields like ID or crit care? Is it just as saturated as retail?
It's less "saturated" in that there will be less qualified applicants to those jobs than retail jobs; however, there are also less of those jobs to begin with. After all, there are only so many hospitals in a city and you don't need more than 2-3 ID pharmacists for an entire health system.

Reactions: 1 users
I am all for niche specializations (for me, it has worked out really well, though you have to be willing to move) but anything 'clinical' is not that special anymore, board certifications and residency positions are proliferating so fast.

Members don't see this ad :)
Critical Care is fairly saturated - doesn't mean you won't find a job, but it isn't like it is guaranteed - ironically Emergency Medicine is not, maybe ICU residents end up working there (and remember, Emergency medicine does not equal ICU, it is mix of am care (70% in my hospital) and 30 inpatient - which maybe 3% of patients end up as ICU admits,

Critical Care is fairly saturated - doesn't mean you won't find a job, but it isn't like it is guaranteed - ironically Emergency Medicine is not, maybe ICU residents end up working there (and remember, Emergency medicine does not equal ICU, it is mix of am care (70% in my hospital) and 30 inpatient - which maybe 3% of patients end up as ICU admits,
I know a pharmacist that did ambulatory care residency and ended up getting a job in the ER. Makes sense that ambulatory care skills can be transferable to the ER. I know a few Critical Care pharmacists that ended up getting a ICU job in the same hospital that they did a residency in

I have heard Oncology seems to be in demand, too.