Hospital job vs Hospital Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hospital job vs Residency

• Hospital

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • Residency

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters

Doh1

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if put in this situation what most people would choose. If offered upon graduation would you choose a residency (PGY1/PGY2) or a Hospital Pharmacist position if put in a situation where both were offered.
I don't know if one holds more weight over the other but I am curious as to what is viewed more favorably from a job application stand point.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Neither. I would rather take my brain out with a rusty spoon than work a 'traditional' pharmacy job, and I never had any interest in 'clinical' jobs or residencies.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
A smaller community hospital where a residency isn't required to work there.
I think depends on the environment of the hospital. I think if it's a fairly progressive place where you are empowered to make clinical interventions and/or work on administrative/informatics projects in order to improve your CV and do more than just "dispensing", I would say job might be better at this time if you are OK staying in the location of the job. This is coming from someone who is residency-trained.

A smaller community hospital where a residency isn't required to work there.
Consider where you might want to be in a decade. If it's possibly anywhere other than staffing at a hospital, you should strongly consider the residency.

To a student, the difference in pay for that year seems massive. To a pharmacist practicing for a decade, its a pittance compared to the benefits of job satisfaction.

Reactions: 1 user