Job market for different specialties?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For many (probably most) med students, residency is the first actual job they have. Just like you say, I would have been ok doing FM/IM/Psych/Neurology, but I chose IM in the end because years in training, flexibility, and the ease to make 300k+/yr which was my target salary. Anyone in medicine who says they can only see themselves ?happy (whatever that means) doing only [insert specialty] is just immature.

I am a med student. I could see myself happy in many specialties, as long as it provides me with the money, lifestyle, and degree of geographic preference that I want (by that not necessarily big city). I can only think of 3 or 4 specialties that I would hate because of the work itself.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I am a med student. I could see myself happy in many specialties, as long as it provides me with the money, lifestyle, and degree of geographic preference that I want (by that not necessarily big city). I can only think of 3 or 4 specialties that I would hate because of the work itself.
You are one of the wise one... Not too long ago when I was in med school, I often heard "I can only see myself doing [insert]."

Reactions: 1 users
Surgical specialties seem to have the widest moat but if you don’t like surgery,

Radiology, neurology, pathology seem to be relatively safe from scope creep for now.

In addition to the ones above, I would probably avoid psych and derm. At least where I’m from, NPs/PAs are already starting to outnumber doctors in these fields at some hospitals
Neuro?? ARNPs are all over the place for Neuro. Bad consults have made neurohospitalist super soul crushing, and much of their work has been arguably necessarily outsourced to ARNPs who are there with the team on the floor

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in psych in a general location with many, many psychiatrists AND psych NPs, and the job market for graduating residents seems to be very strong even just within a 50-mile radius of our program. A couple of my friends got 300k starting at academic programs (inpatient).
shhh

Reactions: 2 users
Could an EM doc become a hospitalist if they can’t find an EM job

I know some nephrologists go back to hospital medicine but they did Im residency
Not easily unless they go back and do IM or FM residency or the hospital made an exception to allow it. Most hospitalist jobs want only IM or FM trained. In the past I'm not sure why any EM doc would want to do this considering that EM pay per hour has historically been quite a bit higher than hospitalist pay (though in general one could argue that the intensity of EM work is also at higher level than hospitalist and their RVUs per hour tend to be higher too).

Not easily unless they go back and do IM or FM residency or the hospital made an exception to allow it. Most hospitalist jobs want only IM or FM trained. In the past I'm not sure why any EM doc would want to do this considering that EM pay per hour has historically been quite a bit higher than hospitalist pay (though in general one could argue that the intensity of EM work is also at higher level than hospitalist and their RVUs per hour tend to be higher too).
The question we should ask ourselves is that: why are EM docs not allowed to do hospital medicine? I think they are qualified to do it. I know almost all of them won't do it even if allowed,..

Why aren't FM doc allowed to apply to IM fellowships? A lot of these things are arbitrary IMO. I am just an IM doc venting,

Reactions: 4 users
The question we should ask ourselves is that: why are EM docs not allowed to do hospital medicine? I think they are qualified to do it. I know almost all of them won't do it even if allowed,..

Why aren't FM doc allowed to apply to IM fellowships? A lot of these things are arbitrary IMO. I am just an IM doc venting,
So a lot of rural community hospitals, the EM doc is literally the one admitting the patient overnight and putting in all the orders. They manage the patient, and the hospitalist picks them up in the morning. If an NP can walk over from ophtho clinic one day and start working as a hospitalist the next by just "picking it up as they go along", there's no reason EM couldn't become great hospitalists with just a bit of time.

Reactions: 3 users
So a lot of rural community hospitals, the EM doc is literally the one admitting the patient overnight and putting in all the orders. They manage the patient, and the hospitalist picks them up in the morning. If an NP can walk over from ophtho clinic one day and start working as a hospitalist the next by just "picking it up as they go along", there's no reason EM couldn't become great hospitalists with just a bit of time.
The whole point of licensing boards and proffesions is to monopolize the practice of a trade to maintain salaries under the guise of high standards.
( IM would fight this tooth and nail as it is a much bigger threat than midlevels.) That is why it is so egregious when boards/proffesional societies are controlled by those who benefit from cheap labor, which is what happened in er and radonc. (Path led the way over the past 20 years w/Quest and friends controlling the specialty society. Supply and demand is everything.

Last edited:
In Oncology, ASCO 2022 was very bad news for radiation. Studies from breast and lung cancer show that much of it can be eliminated or shortened in those diseases.

Reactions: 1 user
In Oncology, ASCO 2022 was very bad news for radiation. Studies from breast and lung cancer show that much of it can be eliminated or shortened in those diseases.
Do you think there will be an uptick in radiation oncologists doing a second FM or IM residencies? Or has it not gotten to that point yet

Do you think there will be an uptick in radiation oncologists doing a second FM or IM residencies? Or has it not gotten to that point yet
This year there were many. In fact, some candidates were not even able to match in prelim years and had to withdraw. Specialty had highest SOAP rate in the entire match. A lot of FMGs see it as their ticket into america. They are not concerned abt the job situation.