Job market in central Iowa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Dred Pirate

Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Considering a move back home - most of my Rph classmates don't live there anymore-I know my non-rph friends from undergrad are slowly moving back, lots of opportunities in their careers (insurance, etc). Anyone have any insights? I am an experienced hospital RPh - I completely expect to take a significant pay cut (make 150k now) but COL is significantly less, plus have family to help with daycare, and less trips back home - money isn't my concern, finding a decent hospital job is.

thanks!
 
I remember you mentioning that you currently make ~$80 per hour worked. I know you are already expecting a paycut but its gonna be a fat paycut lol
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not especially good per my Owatonna and Albert Lea contacts at Mayo as asked. Uni pays $55-60, though you might be able to ask your base at Broadlawns (but won't be as sweet a deal as you have right now). With your background including supervisory experience, you're absolutely competitive for the few positions that do come up there.

And no offense, it's Iowa. As you know, sure it's not exactly NYC, but the school systems even in the cities are excellent (the worst schools in Iowa are mid-tier in most other states), the place is relatively safe, and it's a fine place to raise a family without unusual issues and expectations. I completely understand that decision as what $20k compared to that?

Though, it's still a cold place in the winter. Climate change supposedly has made the weather worse, but how could you tell the difference between 45 mph and a 50 mph 2 to 2.5 ft blizzard?
 
Not especially good per my Owatonna and Albert Lea contacts at Mayo as asked. Uni pays $55-60, though you might be able to ask your base at Broadlawns (but won't be as sweet a deal as you have right now). With your background including supervisory experience, you're absolutely competitive for the few positions that do come up there.

And no offense, it's Iowa. As you know, sure it's not exactly NYC, but the school systems even in the cities are excellent (the worst schools in Iowa are mid-tier in most other states), the place is relatively safe, and it's a fine place to raise a family without unusual issues and expectations. I completely understand that decision as what $20k compared to that?

Though, it's still a cold place in the winter. Climate change supposedly has made the weather worse, but how could you tell the difference between 45 mph and a 50 mph 2 to 2.5 ft blizzard?
NYC - I would never want to move there lol- I am a "small city" type of person - and yes - agree about the schools and winter - I did live the first 26 years of my life there. Ironically DSM is named on all of those top 10 lists - right besides Austin and Raleigh-Durham, although I don't necessarily agree with that - it does say a lot.

I forgot about Broadlawns, just did a quick job search, no jobs at any of the big two (unitypoint and mercy). I did work at Mercy for four years back in the day, there are some of the same people in charge there, will definitely use my connections and see if it is worth it.
 
I like DSM. I know some people there - what are you looking for?
honestly, probably just a hospital staff position - I just emailed a friend that recently left, says the market is tight. Convincing my wife of the move may be the hardest part thou! 🙂 But think having children now may help change that