Job/Market outlook?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Potential123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what the job/market outlook is for Optometrists? What is the starting salary of an Optometrist right out of school?

Members don't see this ad.

Argh, a simple search would have answered your question, instead you just triggered an extremely sensitive topic for these forums. Get ready for some lectures on finding part-time work v.s. slaving away at commercial v.s. loans not being worth the salary

You can expect $300-350/day as a new grad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I kinda wanted to hear what people had to say. The job percentage is going to increase by 33%. However, there are only 22 optometry schools, correct? I wanted to do Pharmacy but there are 130 Pharmacy schools in the country. I'm basically wondering which career should I choose?

Yeah I kinda wanted to hear what people had to say. The job percentage is going to increase by 33%. However, there are only 22 optometry schools, correct? I wanted to do Pharmacy but there are 130 Pharmacy schools in the country. I'm basically wondering which career should I choose?

Do you like optics and biology more or organic chemistry and pharmacology more? Should be pretty simple. They are two completely different fields of study.

Any practicing OD will tell you those assumptions are flawed.

I wouldn't mind doing either. But Pharmacy was my career plan going into college, but the market being saturated has left me skeptical. Don't get me wrong, I was never expecting a job to slap me across the face once I graduate. But hearing people with legit experience not get the call has me worried. Are there the same concerns for Optometrists?

Yes kind of. Its not hard to find a job in optometry, its just hard to find a good job. Most new jobs are commercial but seeing as you were interested in pharmacy which is like 90% commercial then you should have no problem with this.

Physician Assistants (PA-C) earn an average salary of $90,000 with their master's degree. They are recruited heavily in school and most have a good job lined up before they even graduate. Starting salaries are around $84,000 and there is room for advancement. They are in VERY HIGH demand now and in the forseeable future.

The public will likely never know you are not a doctor and/or they won't care. PAs will be providing most of the primary care in the future as fewer and fewer med school grads want to go into primary care. Knowing you have a guaranteed job lined up before you even start school has to be a good feeling.

** I know this because I have taught at a PA school for 8 years.

ODs, not so much. You will have to hit the ground running after you graduate (actually after you get licensed which may take up to 8 months after graduating depending on the state and your situation). Then it's fill-in work at stores in your area. You keep this up for many years until you can find a good private practice gig (and hope you can afford to take the pay cut at that time and hope it's not across the country away from all of your family and friends).

http://www.physicianassistant.cc/physician-assistant-salary/physician-assistant-salary

Last edited:
Yes, PA is an excellent career option. There is even a PA-C to DO bridge program. There is no such equivalent in optometry.

Yes kind of. Its not hard to find a job in optometry, its just hard to find a good job.

Since when is it not hard to find a job? That's news to someone (me) who has actually been looking. I am sure in some areas you can string together full-time work via multiple part-time gigs but conversely in someplaces there isn't even part-time work available.

PM stonedgoat or KHE and you'll have a job. The catch is that you have to be willing to relocate. That's why no marriage for me until I find something good after graduation :D

"There is even a PA-C to DO bridge program." Can you elaborate on that because I've never heard about it?

I pay people between 55 and 75K starting out of school, 6 days a week.

Are you in/near NYC or in Cali or something?

I am outside phildelphia. I interview between 10 to 20 people for each position when I put it out. My practice has a lot of pathology since it is with an OMD. Their salary is incentive based with a potential to get up to 120 within 3-5 years. New Graduates like it better than working at Walmart.