Job market

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Goofygirl2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I'm a newbie. I'm interested in becoming an Audiologist however it's really hard to find out exactly what the job market is like. Some websites I go to claim that the outlook is good, others claim there are few openings. Does anyone know how hard it is to find a job in the field? I didn't find vacancies in my city so that kind of worry's me :eek:.

Members don't see this ad.

That seems to be the $64k question. I've never seen that question answered with much authority.

As far as I am concerned and know the job outlook is great! I work with an audiologist now and she says there are so many jobs once you graduate that you can practically choose where you want to go. It also depends on where you want to work, what market (job type) and location. There are many openings for audiologists all over the world and mainly in the US. I would not say this profession is going anywhere, hope this helps!!

-:D

The number of audiologists practicing in the U.S. is VERY small compared to other medical professions, thus, you're going to have to look a bit harder to find a job in a place near you. Rest assured that that jobs are out there though, some you might have to look a bit harder to find than others. Also like eardoc said above me, you have to think about what market/speciality you want to work in and start looking from there. Peruse through the forum to find out what types of specialities audiologists are involved in. Bottom line: you have a number of years still before you'd even graduate from AuD school so this is not something you need to worry about.