Job Outlook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yoloyolo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm wondering what is the job outlook for audiologist. I searched up the job openings for audiologists in my state and all of them focusing in hearing aid dispensing. Why is this? :(

Members don't see this ad.

There you go.. girl. its the most pathetic career to be in.. please dont bother wasting your time checking out outlook. sucker job, sucker salary.. and look at the folks here.. 860 GRE, 2.5 GPA.. god/...
have you heard such dumb sheeets making it to med schools??? what a sorry state of affaris for the Technicians with a stupid Dr degree.. Aud.. useless

Ignore the troll who replied above me. Job outlook is very good for audiology, the two classes in my program that have graduated above me have both had all their students find jobs. I would say the majority of audiology jobs deal with hearing aids. What aspects of the field are you interested in? There are hospital jobs and more diagnostically focused jobs available (ENT/physician offices), some may just not be posted online. A lot happens through word of mouth.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
the reason you see the majority of jobs posted are looking for "dispensing audiologist/hearing aid dispenser" is because ENT practices and large corporations such as Costco and HearUSA, etc. like to hire audiologists viewing them as disposable labor and do not value them as partners or colleagues.

the more desirable positions such as hospital, educational, or private practice opportunities are not as visible on the internet because they are more often as not filled by word of mouth or networking. or in the case of private practice, audiologists decide to go to work for themselves and practice autonomously as they are legally and professionally authorized to do.

Thank you, this is making feel a lot better. I want to focus more in diagnosing and do the AuD programs help you find jobs after you graduate?

Sometimes, I know that when our program receives job notifications they are emailed out to students. What is more important than job assistance, is 4th year externship support. Our school has a database of all locations we have previous sent students which is very useful.

I have always been upfront and blunt with students about Audiology as a profession

Pros:
- Awesome schedule. I usually know what time I will start and end each day and the typical day to day is about the same
- The work is enjoyable and often times stimulating. You are constantly learning new hearing aid technology and if you love technology there is a ton of it in hearing aids. You never stop learning new things
- Less chance of being exposed to disease and other unliked parts of medicine such as malpractice.
- The salary is pretty good most places. You may not find a dream job out of school but you will find a job pretty quickly. It is this way in most fields. No one usually lands their dream job right out of school in any field. In Audiology you will probably start out in a lower paid job dispensing hearing aids either in an ENT office or in a private practice. After you get a couple years of experience under your belt you then can find your dream job

Cons:
- You can always find a job, but you may have to relocate to get your perfect job. I know I moved over 500 miles from where I went to school, but it was worth it. I love where I work now and have a wonderful future here. The juice was definitely worth the squeeze
- You will be selling hearing aids and will be salesman in any Audiology job except for the VA. I no longer sell hearing aids, but boy oh boy do I fit a lot of them! I also do a great deal of diagnostics, so it's a good mix
- The pay is not as good as other doctoral programs such as optometry, psychology, physical therapy, or even as good as some masters level programs such as SLP, OT, and Nurse practitioner
- The job can have a high burn out rate depending on your setting

All in all if I had to do it over again would I become an audiologist? Probably not. I love what I do, but I could be doing the same part of my job I enjoy (the counseling, the helping side) with less education and more money and better job prospects closer to home.

I don't begrudge anyone still wanting to be an audiologist. I still love what I do everyday and still go to work and come home happy every day. It's a great field, but it still has some growing pains to work out. If audiology can get direct access and hearing aid dispensers can be put out of business, then I think audiology will be one of the best jobs to have. If it cannot overcome these hurdles then it will remain the way it is now. A profession with a high cost of entry and a lower return rate in terms of payout. Money isn't everything, but it is something to think about.

Hope I didn't seem like a downer, I just wanted to give you the true facts and make you think critically (after all that's what we do as a profession).