Job offer while waiting for another job offer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alphabetsoup2

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Took a look at other posts too.

Got a job offer today, I've been asked to accept in writing in two days. (Tight. Looks like the offer letter was actually written last week, but it wasn't emailed to me by HR until this afternoon alas). It's an exciting opportunity. Although, temporary (1 year) and involves relocation (rural area). And I'm a little panicked at the thought of needing to accept an offer, give notice at my current job (or at least arrange coverage for some of my weekday shifts and try to keep my weekend ones) (I mean, it's tight too because they're asking for a start date <2 weeks and I don't want to burn any bridges).

I interviewed at another hospital/company (let's keep it vague) around the same time. FT permanent, does not involve relocation so I'll get to stay close to home/family/friends. They are in the process of contacting my references (or will have finished quite recently). I really want to work here, the manager seemed to like me (I know - nothing's guaranteed), and eventually seek opportunities to potentially teach, etc.

Hoping to get some thoughts about my current situation.

I'm sitting here trying to write a letter to the manager at the second site, but I don't want to come off as too pushy, but I do want to be upfront and honest about the (awkward) situation I'm in.

If the second site's timeline is not as far along....would you accept the first offer and back out if the second offer comes through? It feels uncomfortable (and unprofessional I know) because I also don't want to screw the first site over.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Took a look at other posts too.

Got a job offer today, I've been asked to accept in writing in two days. (Tight. Looks like the offer letter was actually written last week, but it wasn't emailed to me by HR until this afternoon alas). It's an exciting opportunity. Although, temporary (1 year) and involves relocation (rural area). And I'm a little panicked at the thought of needing to accept an offer, give notice at my current job (or at least arrange coverage for some of my weekday shifts and try to keep my weekend ones) (I mean, it's tight too because they're asking for a start date <2 weeks and I don't want to burn any bridges).

I interviewed at another hospital/company (let's keep it vague) around the same time. FT permanent, does not involve relocation so I'll get to stay close to home/family/friends. They are in the process of contacting my references (or will have finished quite recently). I really want to work here, the manager seemed to like me (I know - nothing's guaranteed), and eventually seek opportunities to potentially teach, etc.

Hoping to get some thoughts about my current situation.

I'm sitting here trying to write a letter to the manager at the second site, but I don't want to come off as too pushy, but I do want to be upfront and honest about the (awkward) situation I'm in.

If the second site's timeline is not as far along....would you accept the first offer and back out if the second offer comes through? It feels uncomfortable (and unprofessional I know) because I also don't want to screw the first site over.

Thanks!

Good problems to have for once. It's nice to be wanted!

Well, such a high pressure take from the rural. If they won't accept that they need to give reasonable time to separate from the current job, DO NOT TAKE THE JOB! There's well-known professional courtesies involved even if it is not legally binding to give a two week notice in your state. Any HR Department that isn't going to be respectful of a clean, amicable separation from a current employer with no hard feelings probably won't treat you right. Also, it's a temporary, and that's not a good negotiating advantage since you seem to be in a permanent job right now.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you!!

I discussed with HR for the first site that the start date was tight, and that I would like to be in a position to provide at least two weeks notice to my current manager because there's a small pharmacy team where I am, and I don't want to cause a disturbance or any situation where my coworkers end up being overworked while a new person is found. I'll see what they respond today. I don't have the contact information for the actual manager, but I'll try to call through switchboard today.

I emailed the manager at the second site, so hopefully she is able to provide a rough estimate of her timeline and hope they line up (or I guess sped up). I imagine she has multiple other candidates under consideration, so I tried to be reassuring in my email that I appreciated their right to equal consideration too.

¯\_(-___^)_/¯