Which job opportunity would you take if offered ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorRx1986

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I’ve had two job interviews since I started searching in the last 1.5 months . I’ve been working retail for 9 years . If selected , which of these two would you choose ? CVS specialty in an office like setting about 15-20 minutes commute Monday to Friday with with their an 8-4:30 shift, 10 to 6, or 9 to 5 plus no weekends or holidays and pay between $55-58 per hour OR remote staff pharmacist position from home with an insurance company ? The insurance company pays $52 per hour and supposedly no room for negotiation . The insurance company I am not sure of the schedule yet but the big draw is working from home with no commute , no expenses on gasoline , etc though the pay is only $52 an hour . What would YOU pick ? I make high 50s per hour and would be taking a $5.60 per hour pay cut for the work from home position . The WFH is full time and not a contract position . Thank you .

Members don't see this ad.

Wfh...no brainer

Members don't see this ad :)
So I’ve had two job interviews since I started searching in the last 1.5 months . I’ve been working retail for 9 years . If selected , which of these two would you choose ? CVS specialty in an office like setting about 15-20 minutes commute Monday to Friday with with their an 8-4:30 shift, 10 to 6, or 9 to 5 plus no weekends or holidays and pay between $55-58 per hour OR remote staff pharmacist position from home with an insurance company ? The insurance company pays $52 per hour and supposedly no room for negotiation . The insurance company I am not sure of the schedule yet but the big draw is working from home with no commute , no expenses on gasoline , etc though the pay is only $52 an hour . What would YOU pick ? I make high 50s per hour and would be taking a $5.60 per hour pay cut for the work from home position . The WFH is full time and not a contract position . Thank you .
What will you be doing for the insurance company? If it's verifying orders for their mail service, I'd pass. If it's customer service for their mail service, I'd lean towards the CVS specialty job. If it's prior auth, that's a toss up for me.

Reactions: 1 user
What will you be doing for the insurance company? If it's verifying orders for their mail service, I'd pass. If it's customer service for their mail service, I'd lean towards the CVS specialty job. If it's prior auth, that's a toss up for me.
It’s a staff pharmacist consultation position . Verifying prescriptions , consulting with patients by phone, calling doctors offices as necessary , checking for drug interactions , resolving customer concerns regarding processing of their prescriptions etc , verification of controlled substances and validation etc . Very similar role to what is done in retail pharmacy but from home.

Is directly with the insurance company? or a company that contracts with insurance companies (like xerox, etc). Those are "permanent jobs" but dependent on contracts, the contract ends, so does your job (I know several people that worked for a similiar company that did medicaid contracts)

Is directly with the insurance company? or a company that contracts with insurance companies (like xerox, etc). Those are "permanent jobs" but dependent on contracts, the contract ends, so does your job (I know several people that worked for a similiar company that did medicaid contracts)
The listing is on the insurance company’s website . It said something along the lines of cigna - express scripts .

The listing is on the insurance company’s website . It said something along the lines of cigna - express scripts .
Ok- that is more secure than a third party contractor - those more likely are for medicaid programs

It’s a staff pharmacist consultation position . Verifying prescriptions , consulting with patients by phone, calling doctors offices as necessary , checking for drug interactions , resolving customer concerns regarding processing of their prescriptions etc , verification of controlled substances and validation etc . Very similar role to what is done in retail pharmacy but from home.
I'd say it depends on your career goals then. This job is sending you down a customer service pathway. If you want to advance, you'll end up supervising people in a similar position. Some PBMs are better at allowing you to move around than others, but for the most part, other departments in the PBM don't consider what you'd be doing as managed care experience. Note: you'll be dealing with a lot of angry people (just like in retail), but your phone (read: headset) will at least have volume control.

A specialty pharmacy job sets you up for a lot of other PBM jobs (prior auth, formulary development, clinical development); you could also easily move into home infusion, maybe an ambulatory job in the right setting. Heck, I'd hire you in a hospital over someone who's only worked at Walgreens. Note2: I'm assuming the CVS specialty pharmacy job includes arranging/approving prior auths. If it's strictly supplying drugs, and someone in another office of Caremark is doing prior auths I'd take the WFH job.