Job Offer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cjb56

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How is a typical formal job offer extended by a retail chain to a graduating (June 2014) non-employee? How is it formatted? What is the protocol? How much time to decide? Is it legally binding? Are they for a specific opening, or are they general to a district? I was told by a chain (after two interviews) to expect an offer in December, and that time is coming soon, so I want a little background on what to expect...and any advice from others who have gone through the job offer experience. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I would guess a letter, with a specific job description/location in mind (unless it is a floater position). It being a "job offer" would imply that it is NOT legally binding, just like any job offer; unless of course you already signed a contract with them, in which case you would not be waiting for a job offer. If the company is paperless it may be an email or a phone call from the PDM.

Oh, and good luck!

Last edited:
Young jedi, even if you sign on and sign a "contract", unless the contract says anything about a penalty if someone breaks it, which is rare. Most states are at will employment, you can quit or be fired for any reason or at any time. You are free to leave at anytime, the days of indentured servitude are over. Unless you work for CVS. ..:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Young jedi, even if you sign on and sign a "contract", unless the contract says anything about a penalty if someone breaks it, which is rare. Most states are at will employment, you can quit or be fired for any reason or at any time. You are free to leave at anytime, the days of indentured servitude are over. Unless you work for CVS. ..:confused:
I think I would drop over dead if I ever got any job offer. I would have even stayed in indentured servant if I could have. A school official told us several people had signed onto Walgreens years ago and didn't show up the first day.

Thanks for all of the responses.

How is a typical formal job offer extended by a retail chain to a graduating (June 2014) non-employee? How is it formatted? What is the protocol? How much time to decide? Is it legally binding? Are they for a specific opening, or are they general to a district? I was told by a chain (after two interviews) to expect an offer in December, and that time is coming soon, so I want a little background on what to expect...and any advice from others who have gone through the job offer experience. Thanks.

I just got a job offer from Target - it states the position, the pay as a graduate intern, pay as a pharmacist, my obligations (going through their business college, passing drug tests, obtaining my pharmacist license) and it also has details about their health benefits and merit bonuses.