Job offers and licensure - looking for input

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Padinn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
This is my first post here and I find myself in a bit of a conundrum. I am a recent graduate in Clinical Mental Health Counseling from a CACREP accredited program in New York. I was recently made two job offers and am evaluating my decision, each seems appealing but I was wondering if people with more experience in the field could offer some input.

My first offer is as a responder with the VA as a National Crisis Line. I'm very excited to work with Veterans, having done my internship at the VA, and think this would be a great opportunity.However, I'm worried that I may eventually be stuck because I cannot earn hours towards my license while working this position. On the plus side, this job has an outstanding salary and benefits. I would begin earning in the upper 40s and move to the upper 50s after one year.
It's also the VA, which is where I want to work. I did my internship working with Veterans and loved it.

The second is with a local non-profit agency. They have decent benefits, but salary would be 30-35% lower than the VA and that differential would increase after one year. However, it is an agency I'm very keen on. They emphasize professional growth/development and would help me earn my LMHC very quickly.

The only other difference is that I would work midnights with the VA, at least initially. I consider that a downside but I think I can manage that adjustment (it's 1 AM now :))

So, I'm just curious what you all think about how important it is to get my license immediately. I can take some steps, such as the NCC in April, which I plan to do. Or is it worth considering the substantial pay decrease to earn my license first?

Members don't see this ad.

What a great dilemma to find yourself in - congratulations :)

It does sound like a tough trade off. I guess the question I would ask myself is - if I had the license today - which opportunity would I take? That is - don't do anything in your residency (if you have the choice!) that you don't really want to do as a licensed professional. I know this isn't always an option - but it sounds like it is for you.

So if you were already licensed - would you be working at either of these places? or are they just a means to an end? It sounds like you would enjoy working at that VA, that you already have connections there, and that this job offer - although it doesn't accrue hours toward the license - it does keep you close to the organization - and if that is where you would like to work after you are licensed - I would try to find out how easy it is to transition into a clinical position from the crisis line.

Did you get onsite LPC supervision as an intern with the VA? My understanding is because they have just started hiring LPCs that most of the supervision is supplied by LCSWs and other MH professionals. If your state requires a certain number of hours of LMHC/LPC supervision - you might have to pay for them yourself and the VA would have to approve your outside supervision. That can get complicated with confidentiality, case notes, releases, etc. So that might be a more lengthy route to licensure - but if you are being paid and love the work - does it matter?

The advantage to the other site that I see - is it might be a more supportive place for you to form your identity as a counselor. I did my internship in a small non-profit - unpaid - with a long unpaid commute - but I chose the site because of their model of group supervision and their devotion to letting me develop my own voice and style as a therapist. It was an experience that shaped me so profoundly and guided me into my current residency.

If you are this desirable as a freshly minted graduate, you are going to be even more desirable after you work a year or two at the crisis line and make some $$$. And if you work for a couple years at the agency - you will have your credential.

Nicely done :)

Vasa Lisa

Thanks for the response, this was very helpful. I was actually supervised by an LMHC while doing my internship at the VA...she may very well have been one of the only counselors in the entire country working for the VA. She was hired back in 2005 straight out of her internship at the VA. It was a terrific experience. However, this VA location will be about 1.5 hours from where my new position will be so it would be difficult to do much with her in the near future.

If I was licensed today, I would definitely go with the VA. However, the non-profit position is very similar to the work I did during my internship (ACT vs. MHICM, very similar models for community based treatment).

I am currently leaning towards the VA, as I really do have a desire to serve Veterans. Thank you again for your input!

Just read your other post - and I can hear how much you enjoyed the VA and also how well integrated you seem to be within a system that can be tough to thrive in. It sounds like the crisis line will keep you close and will put you in line for a clinical position. Wishing you continued opportunities.

Vasa Lisa